Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Ideas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 22, '11 at 7:50pm

darkrai097

darkrai097

881 posts

No, I meant that if you don't want people to use your old one at all, ever, you could check a box saying you don't want people to be able to use it, in case you want to change it back.

Posted Mar 22, '11 at 8:10pm

sasquatchcarrot

sasquatchcarrot

191 posts

yes, if i just checked out a username and then wanted another username, that means my original username would be taken if someone happened to want to take it. i would like to change it back... im very picky about this kind of stuff, a username can mean alot more than just a bunch of letters... it can be a nickname, i don't want someone using MIIINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! also a username can have alot of history in it. I don't want some stranger stealing my username then NEVER giving it back, there should be a checkbox, what darkrai mentioned.

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 3:32pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,964 posts

Knight

I meant that if you don't want people to use your old one at all, ever, you could check a box saying you don't want people to be able to use it, in case you want to change it back.

Nope, if you change it, you're giving it up, that's how it's going to work. We don't plan on "reserving" your old usernames once you decide you want a new one.

If you want to change your name back, you (a) have to wait 30 days, and (b) hope nobody takes your old name after the 30-day period and before you log back in to change it back.

At best, we'll give you that 30-day period to decide you like your old name better than your new one, since nobody else can pick your username during that 30-day period anyway. But we might restrict how many times you can change your username, just to avoid confusion.

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 9:18pm

Ghgt99

Ghgt99

1,941 posts

Ghgt99, yes, we'll likely have some strict requirements for it.

Ok, just making sure. =)

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 9:46pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

I feel like someone is going to impersonate someone else by using their old name.

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 9:54pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,286 posts

It shouldn't be that much of a problem, Master. As was stated before, you will get to see which username the account was beforehand for X amount of time. Even if they did start impersonating the user after the names are all situated...it's their name now, right? I don't think something will happen where a former username user will be affected when the impersonator gets banned, like last time. And when I mean last time, I mean with using underscores. That was chaotic, yet lulzy. It was almost...poetic. The name issues, I bet you, won't be a problem though--the admins have the names stored! I bet you!

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 10:17pm

Blobshniflob

Blobshniflob

18 posts

How do you change your username?

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 10:34pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

Freakenstein, nice overuse of the phrases "i mean" and "i bet you".

I feel like you should have each name shown as former aliases (like steam does) so that people can tell who was who originally.

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 10:43pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

How do you change your username?

The feature's not out yet on AG2. But in AG3 it'll be out in a few months. Lurk around the AG3 Forum more!
so that people can tell who was who originally.

When you change your username on AG3 it'll show your old username in the URL for 30 days then after that it'll change to your new username if you choose to stick with it. So, I don't really like your idea of having the former username on your profile since I absolutely hate this username currently and when the AG3 feature launches I want to get rid of it, forever.

Posted Mar 23, '11 at 10:46pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Can you keep your username?

Read Ian's post on this page.

He said that you can keep it for 30 days, but after that time period is up then it'll be available for anyone to use.