ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81804
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
FateIsEscaped
FateIsEscaped
19 posts
Peasant

. I think it should be a privilege given out once a year.

I agree with this point. Name changes should be a rare thing.

Here is how I would do it, with reasons for each.

1) Your account has to be 3 months old before the first change.

Why? Because trolls would otherwise change their name quick. And in 3 months is about the time I'd say a user has established himself. I dont think this is too harsh nor too strict.

2) On the admin/mod/technical side, the FIRST username should be seen as a permanent ID. No one can take it.

Why? So mods and admins can kind of remember some users. This is also useful for the forums. An URL can be made that will permanently point to 1 person only.

For mods, they should see the following.
FirstName/LastName/CurrentName

First name is what you signed up as. Last name is the previous name you had before your now current name.

3) First name used should be permanent and reserved. Same with Last Name used.

First name should be a permanent internal ID as already explained. Last Name should also be reserved.
Why? Because of reasons already mentioned by others in this topic. Imagine a popular user, or an admin, or a mod who changes their name. This can cause confusion if they change their name and later someone takes one of those names. So I think it unwise to "unreserve" any old names but at the very least, First and Last should be permanent Reserved. I guess Armor Games doesn't want people hogging 20 names, but, I think it makes logical sense to Reserve First, Last, along with Current name.

4) Name changes should be only allowed every few months.

I think 1 month in between name changes is pretty fast. Is this to try to limit alts? IDK, but, 1 month is just too quick. I think first name change should be 3 months, then every 6 months after you are allowed to change again.

5) Name change history in public.

There should be a link on your profile to a full name history and dates.
There should also be displayed on your profile your "LastName" for all to see for 30 days.

Why? Just to allow users to know who was who and when.

I think that is about it for my suggestions. Thanks for reading.
indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

Those are some good suggestions but I was just wondering why some people would want to change their name anyways. I mean the name was the persons choice. I can see if a person for some reason dislikes the name but then why choose it in the first place?

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

. I think it should be a privilege given out once a year.

Yep. If not no one would know who's who anymore. Serfs and some squires would never be able to decide on a name until they got a higher rank and got used to their Armor Games "life."
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I personally think the username you registered with should always be there, but there should be either a display name or title function. I think it's been mentioned before but I think it's the best solution.

With the display name, I think it might be worth having it appear everywhere. Say if I were to change it to 'Blue', that would appear in the forums, shields, activity streams and comments but on my profile it could say 'Blue (Pazx)'.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

So mods and admins can kind of remember some users.

Mods/admins will always see a FULL history of a user's name changes, not just their current and single previous name.

Your account has to be 3 months old before the first change.

We'll probably make it longer than that, like 6mo-1yr.

There should also be displayed on your profile your "LastName" for all to see for 30 days.

Yes, we've already said that any user who changes their name will have an area on their profile page that says something like "This user has recently changed their username; their previous username was ..."
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Thanks for these infos Cormyn. I have a question: if I change my username, will I loose all my Armor Points or will I keep them?
Thanks.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

You'll keep everything about your account, you'll just have a different username, which will also affect your login procedure.

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

[/i]I have a bold idea: Name and name history search.
I was scrolling through this, and I saw some I.D. problems, resolved, no doubt, when I looked at the game search tab on the top left of the screen. Next to it, there is another scroll tab with a [/i]games option. I have the wild notion that you could switch that scroll tab from [/i]games to [i] User. Now I don't know much about what we have on this site, and there might already be something like this for all I know, but it could be a good idea. @everyone who is reading this: if this stuff is in italic, it's because I almost never post stuff, so I dunno how this stuff works.
Back to my odd lil' idea. When you selected the [i]User, it displays all users with that name, or who had that name.
Here's an example: search box--->[crazyape]
|Smeagol,crazyape,original|
|crazyape,ExampleName, current|
The first name is the current name of the user, and the second was their original name, and the last line, not always the third, is their status, whether they were the original User, or are the current User. All names given are merely examples. Except for crazyape. So, that's basically my idea.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Name search is already implemented on the AG3 beta. Name history search, that's an interesting challenge that I'll look into.

ferfer313
ferfer313
260 posts
Nomad

You should be able to use symbols in your name on AG3

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Interesting story about that, Ferfer. See, last time AG was allowing symbols, like underscores, a really freaky accident occurred where two accounts "merged" so to speak. One had an underscore (original), while the other didn't (impersonator) and the impersonator was banned. With this, the original couldn't access his account for quite a bit before everything was situated. I don't remember anything else; I was just a wee laddie when it happened.

So yeah, anyways, if AG3 re-iterates symbols for usernames like underscores, they gotta be sure to check if silly bugs like that can occur.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

So yeah, anyways, if AG3 re-iterates symbols for usernames like underscores, they gotta be sure to check if silly bugs like that can occur.

That would delay the release of AG3, but I don't see anything against underscores right now.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

You should be able to use symbols in your name on AG3

No, we're an English site, and it'll be much, much harder to do username searches if you have special characters or symbols.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I think it's been established that weird symbols will not be allowed in usernames.

goldair1
goldair1
158 posts
Nomad

I think it's been established that weird symbols will not be allowed in usernames.

you think i am dum? i did it from being bored and to help. i think i helped
Showing 76-90 of 301