Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Ideas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 10:02pm

Pazx

Pazx

4,494 posts

I personally think the username you registered with should always be there, but there should be either a display name or title function. I think it's been mentioned before but I think it's the best solution.

With the display name, I think it might be worth having it appear everywhere. Say if I were to change it to 'Blue', that would appear in the forums, shields, activity streams and comments but on my profile it could say 'Blue (Pazx)'.

Posted May 3, '11 at 12:52pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

So mods and admins can kind of remember some users.

Mods/admins will always see a FULL history of a user's name changes, not just their current and single previous name.

Your account has to be 3 months old before the first change.

We'll probably make it longer than that, like 6mo-1yr.

There should also be displayed on your profile your "LastName" for all to see for 30 days.

Yes, we've already said that any user who changes their name will have an area on their profile page that says something like "This user has recently changed their username; their previous username was ..."

Posted May 4, '11 at 7:47am

valboss84

valboss84

1,479 posts

Thanks for these infos Cormyn. I have a question: if I change my username, will I loose all my Armor Points or will I keep them?
Thanks.

Posted May 4, '11 at 1:43pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

You'll keep everything about your account, you'll just have a different username, which will also affect your login procedure.

Posted May 7, '11 at 3:34pm

crazyape

crazyape

501 posts

[/i]I have a bold idea: Name and name history search.
I was scrolling through this, and I saw some I.D. problems, resolved, no doubt, when I looked at the game search tab on the top left of the screen. Next to it, there is another scroll tab with a [/i]games option. I have the wild notion that you could switch that scroll tab from [/i]games to [i] User. Now I don't know much about what we have on this site, and there might already be something like this for all I know, but it could be a good idea. @everyone who is reading this: if this stuff is in italic, it's because I almost never post stuff, so I dunno how this stuff works.
Back to my odd lil' idea. When you selected the [i]User, it displays all users with that name, or who had that name.
Here's an example: search box--->[crazyape]
                                 |Smeagol,crazyape,original|
                                 |crazyape,ExampleName, current|
The first name is the current name of the user, and the second was their original name, and the last line, not always the third, is their status, whether they were the original User, or are the current User. All names given are merely examples. Except for crazyape. So, that's basically my idea.

Posted May 8, '11 at 5:29am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Name search is already implemented on the AG3 beta. Name history search, that's an interesting challenge that I'll look into.

Posted May 9, '11 at 4:30pm

ferfer313

ferfer313

140 posts

You should be able to use symbols in your name on AG3

Posted May 9, '11 at 4:35pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

Interesting story about that, Ferfer. See, last time AG was allowing symbols, like underscores, a really freaky accident occurred where two accounts "merged" so to speak. One had an underscore (original), while the other didn't (impersonator) and the impersonator was banned. With this, the original couldn't access his account for quite a bit before everything was situated. I don't remember anything else; I was just a wee laddie when it happened.

So yeah, anyways, if AG3 re-iterates symbols for usernames like underscores, they gotta be sure to check if silly bugs like that can occur.

Posted May 9, '11 at 8:52pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,582 posts

So yeah, anyways, if AG3 re-iterates symbols for usernames like underscores, they gotta be sure to check if silly bugs like that can occur.

That would delay the release of AG3, but I don't see anything against underscores right now.

Posted May 12, '11 at 4:21pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

You should be able to use symbols in your name on AG3

No, we're an English site, and it'll be much, much harder to do username searches if you have special characters or symbols.