ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81986
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It may be months before you can change your name. It's not a "launch" feature.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
466 posts
Nomad

I'm glad to hear this because I don't want thousands of people jumping at super popular names (GhostOfMatrix, Firetail_Madness etc...)

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I'm glad to hear this because I don't want thousands of people jumping at super popular names (GhostOfMatrix, Firetail_Madness etc...)

Also, no two users can have the same username, and the usernames of banned users won't be allowed based on what I've heard. I do agree that waiting for username changing will be a good idea.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

no two users can have the same username,

If you have a name of say, SnakeMaster and you change it to SnakeMaster99, if you wait 30 days and no one has taken the name SnakeMaster, you can get it back.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

If you have a name of say, SnakeMaster and you change it to SnakeMaster99, if you wait 30 days and no one has taken the name SnakeMaster, you can get it back.

That's not the same username though. Those two usernames mentioned are similar, but not the same.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

What Patrick2011 was saying is that no two users can have the same username AT THE SAME TIME. This is why we have a 30-day waiting period when you change your name, before anyone else can take that name.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I don't understand why you talk about that. The current system (can't use the same username if it's ever used) is perfect, I think.

If you could be more precise on "30 days sytem", I would thank you.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The 30-day window is so that if you were to change your name to just 'valboss', someone else searching for valboss84 could still find you. Or people who had bookmarked armorgames.com/user/valboss84 could still get to your profile page.

We'll keep that redirection/notification active for 30 days, as well as having a note on your profile that you recently changed your name from "Valboss84" to "Valboss" in a very clear location so other users will know you've changed your name, etc.. We'll probably warn them to reset any bookmarks, etc..

destruction101
destruction101
115 posts
Nomad

I would really enjoy it if people were able to change their user name because my name is destruction101, and I want it to be Destruction101.... Stupid mistake.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, usernames aren't case-sensitive. I can visit your profile using any of these URLs:

armorgames.com/user/desctruction101
armorgames.com/user/DESCTRUCTION101
armorgames.com/user/DESCTRuction101
armorgames.com/user/dEsCtRuCtioN101

... but the *display* value of it will be what you chose when you registered.

When we allow username changes in AG3, we'll probably let you change things like this without the 30-day window since it doesn't really alter your username.

narutoninja909
narutoninja909
12 posts
Nomad

can this change be free or whatever i hate sites that make you pay to change your ID or use a point system that makes you save for like a year. I was thinking more along the lines of you can change it but there is a waiting time for you to be able to change your name again, that way no one could change all the time, maybe like 3 months waiting time?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

can this change be free or whatever i hate sites that make you pay to change your ID or use a point system that makes you save for like a year.

I don't think a username change will cost money.

I was thinking more along the lines of you can change it but there is a waiting time for you to be able to change your name again, that way no one could change all the time, maybe like 3 months waiting time?

I think this has been discussed and the waiting period will be 30 days (about 1 month), not 3 months (about 90 days).
narutoninja909
narutoninja909
12 posts
Nomad

also with the swear words in the username couldn't you have a something where you could send your name to an admin for review or something along those line. like say you want to use assassination your making your name and the system blocks you, but it gives you the option to submit your name in for review. If your name checks out you get it, if it doesn't you get a temp. ban from the site.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

When we allow username changes in AG3, we'll probably let you change things like this without the 30-day window since it doesn't really alter your username

Does that include adding or getting rid of numbers?
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

will underscores be available?

Showing 121-135 of 301