Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

AGame: RPG

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 8:24am

Dante92

Dante92

71 posts

That's what I am saying... it needs hours, days, weeks. Even to decide what Genre, which Features and so.

And "a little bit" of codingknowledge is no help. Not really... no.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:14pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

I just got a great idea, we abandon the idea of an rpg and make a game like wario ware inc or 4 second frenzy. That way we can enlist a few programmers who don't need to be amazing, and have each of them make a few quick little game then someone will take those games and put them together. If we do that we won't need that much organizing, we just need to find a few programmers willing to help contribute.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:15pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

And dante, when i say a little, i mean i read a book on as3 i'm just not very good with it yet, but i probably have the potential to contribute to my idea in the last post.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:18pm

gaboloth

gaboloth

1,629 posts

Sounds like a good idea. Why don't we try to do this waiting for beech to return, just to get the ball rolling? I think we should have enough knowledge to meke this.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:35pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

The beauty of this idea is we probably won't need beech to much, most of the games in this genre aren't very complicated which will also open up opportunities for beginner programmers such as my self. After we discuss this slightly more and confirm it, we can make another post recruiting programmers.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:41pm

gaboloth

gaboloth

1,629 posts

Exactly! Let's do it now!!! Yay!!
I have a idea on how to code the main game class, but I'm not sure it's the best way :S what if we start to code some of the minigames for now? Then we can wait for someone a little more experienced (darkroot comes to mind) to help us build the game class.
I'd love to start code some chunks asap, it will keep the thingy alive. Then if more people is interested, they can join at any time.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 6:49pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

Im going to start as soon as i can (after i finish school work) and im going to start a new thread recruiting people once darkroot confirms this idea.

Also a few thing we need to establish.

any idea for a name?

How long is each game going to be?

will it be like wario ware inc and speed up?

Truthfully as long we can think up a menu and a transition between games, the name can come later.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 7:00pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

If you want to continue on with this concept I would recommend you make another thread otherwise it will get confusing.

we can make another post recruiting programmers.

There isn't much of a point. All regulars that wanted to be in the project are here. I don't think anyone new will show up. If they do they will show up in your new thread.

If you do want to make this game there should be some rules that we have to agree on. The first one that comes to mind is that everything you make will have to be added to the stage from the library ( addChild(); ) and that the stage itself has to be clean. Otherwise each game will just pile more movieclips on top of each other.

Also we need to think of how we want the point/time scoring part to work.

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 7:01pm

gaboloth

gaboloth

1,629 posts

Yup, there is time for the name
about the length of the games, it's a good question. It works both with fast games like 4 second frenzy and long puzzling games like omega enfo bla. I'd say, how about if we mix that? It would be fun, spending minutes in a hard puzzle, and then getting in a 4 second game and if we decide to change later, it won't be a big deal eliminate some games.
Unluckily, I haven't heard of wario ware or speed up. I'll google them. But tomorrow! It's midnight here

Posted Mar 14, '11 at 7:08pm

master565

master565

4,288 posts

wario ware inc is the game 4 second frenzy was based off of and when i said speed up, i meant the games get faster at certain points in the game.

Darkroot, i feel like we should try to get more programmers because the more the merrier, but we probably need somewhere between 5-7 because that way if we each make around 5 games we can come with around 30+ games. So i feel we should finish the concept here or on a new thread then have a separate thread seeing if anyone else wants to help.

Also when ever i program i always use addchild because i find it simpler to have everything in the code and have a clean stage but can we have each game at a different frame on the timeline or will that not work?

Reply to AGame: RPG

You must be logged in to post a reply!