ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156632
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

oh! well that's very useful. especially so that we don't need to rely on the moon to save us from any incoming meteors.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, we are also using intergalactic travel, so yes, the moon will protect us.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

So the moon's going to protect us from every meteor? i think i would feel safer if i knew i had an extra line of protection. especially for really big asteroids. even if it doesn't destroy it it could send it off course.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

That wasn't the point of what I said, but what do you think of using a series of orbital laser armed sattelites to deflect incoming asteroids?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That wasn't the point of what I said, but what do you think of using a series of orbital laser armed sattelites to deflect incoming asteroids?

breaking up incoming asteroids can be a really bad idea. Basically it would be like turning a cannon ball into a buckshot.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

i think it would be a half decent idea if you could break the buckshot up into bird shot so that it'd get taken care of by the atmostphere...

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

It wouldn't. the pieces would fall behind each other and be used as shields. the resulting speed could go through roofs, thus killing people. better to hope our satellite, the Moon, takes care of it or we could build our own moon.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

No no no, the idea isn't to blow it up, but to vaporize a small spot and causing it to act like a rocket thruster to push it off path.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

An excellent idea!

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's still not a very good idea given one misfire and we are back to buckshots.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Well, most likely, we wont get hit by an asteroid.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

How could a focused laser blow up an asteroid? This isn't Halo.

Speaking of, what do you think of weapons firing self contained balls of plasma?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ahem. weapons are implements of death. do we want to die out because of petty squabbles?

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

This isn't a thread of morality but one of feasibility.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ahem! you are all going to devise weapons in stead of things that help? at this rate 2012 will be of our own doing.

Showing 391-405 of 1019