ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156587
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

See my previous post.
We are not saying we should, we are asking if it is possible.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, most likely, we wont get hit by an asteroid.

I may not happen often but it is likely we will be hit by them. It wouldn't be the the first time.

How could a focused laser blow up an asteroid? This isn't Halo.

It would require a bunch of energy, it would heat up the asteroid to the point it is blown to pieces.

Here we can see a laser tested.
Navy Laser Weapon System (LaWS) PR Video
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Sorry, should have specified it is an infrared frequency laser.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

wow destructive lasers alredy. but i'm sure there's alredy a better version of it. that's just the one shown to the public. i say the current version could destroy buildings. not incenerate at once. but somehow destroy.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sorry, should have specified it is an infrared frequency laser.

That's what's in the video.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yup. lasers that blow up stuff. What i find weird is that the heat is what makes it explode and not anything else.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I know. but when i think of lasers the first thing that comes to mind is a beam of light (non-destructive). or a beam of light that burns holes directly through something. I don't usally think of it just heating up something. although it makes alot more sense that way.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

but what do you think of using a series of orbital laser armed sattelites to deflect incoming asteroids?

Hm, no thanks. Even though you said deflect, all I can imagine is blow up. Instead, to deflect an object with collision set on us, would best be dealt with by launching and anchoring probes to it, then have the probes go full-throttle, knocking the object fractionally off it's trajectory. No large change is needed.

the resulting speed could go through roofs, thus killing people. better to hope our satellite, the Moon, takes care of it or we could build our own moon.

A full-scale impact would wipe species out, like so with the dinosaurs, but your scared of tiny chunks flying through your roof?
Another devastation with the strength of what happened to Japan is more likely. Also, I'd rather have tiny chunks fly through my roof, then having Earth devastated to the point of mass-extinction!

Have them smash into the moon? OK, maybe if they are small we should direct them to our satellite, but a large asteroid? That is like blowing up the asteroid, we will get several pieces hurtling towards us.

I feel the best solution with current technology would be to send (a) "space arsenal(s)" into orbit around us. In this station or arsenal, if you would, have lots of these probes stationed. Then once we detect a threat aimed at us, send some probes to knock it off it's trajectory.

weapons are implements of death. do we want to die out because of petty squabbles?

Ahem! you are all going to devise weapons in stead of things that help? at this rate 2012 will be of our own doing.

Sigh, why so worried? We aren't going to kill ourselves out that easily (unless a moron decides to launch a nuke, which would cause a chain reaction, forcing survivors to adapt and overcome the obstacles. Even so, we won't kill ourselves out).
You would rather us focus completely on celestial defenses all the while we are under a second threat: terrorism?
Weapon technology is good in the big picture, especially for defense against morons.
Do you want to protect and serve with nothing, or with something that gives you the upper hand?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Have you factored in the idea of thieves? What if the terrorists steal the new weapons? then we'll make more, then they'll steal them. and voila! Chain-reaction of endless death. but oh well. who can say i have not been trying o turn the Tesla-coil into an AC weapon?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Have you factored in the idea of thieves? What if the terrorists steal the new weapons? then we'll make more, then they'll steal them. and voila! Chain-reaction of endless death. but oh well. who can say i have not been trying o turn the Tesla-coil into an AC weapon?

How could I not factor in all the risks before setting the line? There will always be thieves, but none to powerful for the world to deal with. In all honesty, it seems you are just throwing out the more random possibilities at me. Thieves to deal with vs a straight shot to a country or countries.

Even today, we try hard to stop such means, and we do take action, no matter how persuasive the news is.

Endless death... Hm... Sounds familiar, I think it already occurs. Weapons just sometimes make it a bit, hm, painful.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Now, let's go away from the morality of the weapons and back to how to develope a weapon that fires a self contained ball of plasma.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Boring. already accomplished with the flamethrower. i think the Tesla-barrel is much cooler and more possible.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Feel free to explain your concept of the Tesla barrel.

Have you ever played Halo? We're talking about plasma rifles, not flame throwers.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Boring. already accomplished with the flamethrower. i think the Tesla-barrel is much cooler and more possible.

Hm flame is automatically a last time I checked.

Tesla barrel... Sounds similar to a rail gun to me.

In this tesla gun all you would need is a supercharged, super-concentrated Tesla coil. Simplicity if we manage such a coil.

The problem would be shrinking such a powerful coil to fit into weapon size. After all, Tesla's tower in particular was MASSIVE before it was torn down.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Flame is not automatically a plasma, my bad.

I see where you're coming from dragon, and I'm sure we can get some kind of plasma weapon. If we managed a weapon to shoot actual rounds of superheated fire, I think that would be close enough to satisfy.

The problem there is getting actual rounds of flame, and not a continuous stream of fire.

Showing 406-420 of 1019