ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156576
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ah. that is where thou art wrong. the Tesla-barrel involves a large Tesla coil put at the back of the frame of a gattling gun with larger barrels each insulated with rubber. The electronics of the machine let it fire whenever one of the barrels is infront of it. Why make barrels when you only need one you ask? Because each time the machine fires, which is often, the barrels heat up. whats the use of a gun that melts after a few shots? The spinning barrels let each one cool down before a second shot. this gun would be mounted on a ship with its controllers, Electrasters, wearing rubber suits.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

A plain ball of plasma would have a fairly short range. I was thinking of containing it with some type of magnetic feild. The problem arises from that in that it would require a material that could withstand the heat generated and still exert a magnetic force.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

That is correct. Titanium could be used, but being a Forger, i know that titanium must be created at the cost of a Lot. this would be an expensive project.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Ah. that is where thou art wrong. the Tesla-barrel involves a large Tesla coil put at the back of the frame of a gattling gun with larger barrels each insulated with rubber.

Did you get this from a sci-fi show? That is probably why I've never heard of this design... I plugged in the very obvious, no more no less.

Why make barrels when you only need one you ask? Because each time the machine fires, which is often, the barrels heat up. whats the use of a gun that melts after a few shots?

Still you only need on barrel unless you want multiples of this... design.
I'm sure we could make an alloy that can withstand such heat.

However, I'm not so sure about this device. We already have tested a type of mounted rail gun, with more studies in place. And how can I be wrong with my description? If I'm mistaken, it is still firing electricity, unless of course it is shooting electrified ammunition. If this is the case, why!? Pure electricity can travel much farther and much faster than a bullet can.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I think you underestimate the heat of this plasma. All ferroreactive materials have a temperature at which they can no longer exert or be affected by a magnetic force. I haven't checked the temperature that titanium loses its ferroeeactivity yet, but I assume the plasma is much hotter.

Also, the multi barrel system is reminiscent of a minigun.

jets99
jets99
601 posts
Nomad

wow how long will this thread stay on!? great idea for a thread

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

I never said let's use titanium. Even if we want to use multiple barrels, what is the point? If this plasma is so very hot, it would melt the metal with one shot, rendering it utterly useless. I see no benefit from this, except for shooting actual electricity to fry the enemy as I have stated.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

wow how long will this thread stay on!? great idea for a thread

For a long time. I created this thread knowing it will never truly die out, for science never does die out. Care to contribute to the actual topic though?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Also, the multi barrel system is reminiscent of a minigun.

Just figured that out, Einstein? thats the Idea! one would think he would have known that.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Supa, we are talking about the Tesla barrel and the plasma rifle at the same time.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The plasma rifle is almost impossible. There is no metal that could sustain its heat even at a distance. CERN can control it, but they have kilometers at their disposal.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Also, the Tesla-barrel uses ELECTRICITY. not plasma.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Supa knows that, he just thought we were talking about one thing.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Plasma cannot be contained in a small gun. The Tesla-barrel is much more possible.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Sigh here is what I read:

he Tesla-barrel involves a large Tesla coil put at the back of the frame of a gattling gun with larger barrels each insulated with rubber. The electronics of the machine let it fire whenever one of the barrels is infront of it. Why make barrels when you only need one you ask? Because each time the machine fires, which is often, the barrels heat up. whats the use of a gun that melts after a few shots? The spinning barrels let each one cool down before a second shot. this gun would be mounted on a ship with its controllers, Electrasters, wearing rubber suits.

Then I argued saying why need one barrel, if we could make an alloy to withstand the heat? That can go for BOTH concepts since you said it heats up! Don't try to pin me down when you aren't even sure where I'm coming from.

Also, the Tesla-barrel uses ELECTRICITY

I think I've stated that MANY TIMES. I accidentally said plasma in my post regarding titanium withstanding heat cause by both your electricity and plasma rifles.
Showing 421-435 of 1019