ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156616
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What do you think of orbital lasers used as weapons of mass destruction?

I think orbital systems can be too easy of a target. This is basically what the Star Wars Program proposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Good point, but they wouldn't look like WMDs, they would look like satelites. Kind of a sleeper cell in space. Just call in some "divine intervention" and wipe a continent clean.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Good point, but they wouldn't look like WMDs, they would look like satelites. Kind of a sleeper cell in space. Just call in some "divine intervention" and wipe a continent clean.

We keep a pretty close eye on what is and goes up there. It would be pretty hard to conceal. Even if some did manage to conceal the deployment of such a weapon it would lose that camouflage once it was used.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

A sniper only gets one shot before he is found.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

But they are not snipers, are they? Also, my great grandfather was a sniper in world war 2, and he got at least 5 shots before he moved on.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

What I mean is that you will only get one shot before everybody knows you're there.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

A sniper can get away after the job is done. This weapon would just sit up there.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

The metaphor was mrant to be neither absolute nor extended.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Whatever. Whats the point of putting them up there anyway? Has anyone read Philip Reeves book, Mortal Engines? If so, you will know why its not a good idea.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Whatever. Whats the point of putting them up there anyway? Has anyone read Philip Reeves book, Mortal Engines? If so, you will know why its not a good idea.

Care to give us a rundown of what it says?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Simple. The books are set a thousand or so years from now. The Ancients, us, wiped themselves out using weapons of mass destruction. Some of the weapons were orbital weapon platforms. I think you will know what they are. The world went backwards, and modern electronics, even phones, are marked as valuable old-tech. Even flight was lost. Soon, everything was more gear then solder.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

That is the problem with any WMD.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes, tis, isn't it? Thats why we should be satisfied with nukes.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

A nuke is one of the worst WMDs as far as consequences go and it has an exponential effect because if one fires, they all fire.

Subterrainian nuke causing a resultant seismic discharge?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes. They are so powerful they could probably do that. But wouldn't there be nothing to shake, since it would blow everything apart?

Showing 466-480 of 1019