ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156229
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Think that would actually work?

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

yeah, but probably better with nukes to make a bigger shock wave. I also saw his machine on a show. i think it was mythbusters.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

You mean that resonant frequency seismic actuator/ shaky thing.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yeah. They actually put it on a real bridge. But i think tesla's was more powerful.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

I've seen his "Earthquake Box" on a documentary. He claimed it could bring down any object, and I believe him on that one.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Yeah, it's the Earthquake Box.
I'm sure Tesla was zealous when he developed it so it eould be very overpowered.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Couldn't it be recreated as a military weapon? It would be as simple as sneaking in, hiding divice on foundation, and leaving.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

It could, bit nobody knows exactly how it worked. It could have dual pistons positioned at both the crest and trough of a resonant wave for the material at hand, possibly by use of a slide bar. This would greatly increase the effeciency of the device, but also add a self destructive torque. The addition of a third piston would prevent it from twisting itself apart prematurely, but would raise the problem of over deflection warping the device, prematurely disabling it. This can be solved by adding double joints between each piston. This would reduce the effeciency, mobility and success rate.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Earlier in this thread we talked about warp drive. In warp someone can't communicate because signals can't be sent out from the field. I think I have an answer to this problem.

If the communication device utilized some form of remote quantum entanglement we could, because the signal would never have to pass through the warp field. The digital signal would pass through a device that would entangle the electrons used to produce that signal with those in another similar device at the receiving end. The signal then carries on in it's new location and is received at it's new location.
An added bonus to this would be real time communication with almost 0 lag regardless of distance. Something that would be almost vital in an interstellar community.

While it would be much more involved and would require a more traditional signal being sent first, this also opens the possibility of teleportation of matter as being possible.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

So it would be like they were touching even though they were lightyears and a reality apart? Any idea how to do this?

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I thimk they need to be made at the same time. And supposedly everything is connected through the big bang.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So it would be like they were touching even though they were lightyears and a reality apart? Any idea how to do this?

Quantum entanglement and teleportation of electrons? Sure we've been doing that for years. It's just we don't understand how we are doing it and it's currently very difficult and impractical requiring a whole room full of equipment to move a single atom. We also already know this naturally occurs. So theoretically if we were to improve and make it practical distance shouldn't be a factor.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/_40279873_teleportation_info416.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

So right now, we have the equivalent of the 8-bit computers that took up several rooms. Think we will ever reach the equivalent of high capacity micro processors?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So right now, we have the equivalent of the 8-bit computers that took up several rooms. Think we will ever reach the equivalent of high capacity micro processors?

I think we have made some advancements in practicality from when we first achieved it. So I have hi hopes. Though even if we were to get to the micro processor stage we may still be a long way off from a matter teleporter.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Another breakthrough with the advancement of this is in a computers capability.

Quantum computers could potentially out preform event the fastest possible traditional computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

Do to this one breakthrough that's possible advancements in communication, transportation and computations if perfected.

Showing 571-585 of 1019