ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156582
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Sounds good to me. And they're deffintly professional.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Exactly. I grew up on Discovery. They own the Science Channel, right? It's also a good source.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

They own the Science Channel, right? It's also a good source.

I often go to sleep watching that channel.

Anyway, maybe we should get back to the topic.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

How about some evolutionary projections?

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I predict there will be an animal that will be able to eat styrofoam.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I don't doubt that, but that will be a while. It seems more likely to be a microbe that eats it.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

How about some evolutionary projections?

This would depend largely on what sort of environment we will have in the future.

Here are a couple links to get ideas on speculative evolution.
http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/library/Dixon/main_en.htm
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

No one? Okay...

If given the right conditions I could see the Rabbubks being quite plausible.
http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/library/Dixon/ch_03_en.htm

The Swampus is another animal I could see as being plausible.
http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Swampus

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I didn't even notice you commented on this.

Regarding the Squibbons, do you think that would be very likely? I think the leap to land and all to be a bit of a stretch for squids due to the lack of structure. I would say one of the shelled cephalopods would be more likely to adapt to land.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The Squibbon is supported by a specialized muscular structure. The Squibbon is a bit trickier compared to the Swampus. With the Swampus it still returns to the water and when it does leave the water it doesn't go very far. The shelled cephalopod would offer more support in the earlier stages of evolution. The Squibbon is having to compete with far different variables that may actually require a far different structure. I can see some benefits in it's flexibility and if it were to fall from a tree it might be less likely to be hurt. I would guess the Squibbon's muscular structure would first have to evolve while they are still in the water. This could happen in a similar fashion as the Swampus. Also it's unlikely all the species with competing features would go extinct. Animals with joints would still have more of an advantage.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Joints are a major weakpoint, as any martial artist would tell you. They provide an easy target for excerting a mechanical advantage through implimenting the limb as a lever with the joint as a fulcrum. They also have many nerves left exposed on them. Tendons that snap can easily cripple an animal for life. I think it would be more likely for a rudimentarily structured creature of comparable intellegence, such as a shark, to make that transition, though that would require them to grow limbs. I'd say tree sharks would be much more terrifying and just as likely.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Joints are a major weakpoint, as any martial artist would tell you. They provide an easy target for excerting a mechanical advantage through implimenting the limb as a lever with the joint as a fulcrum. They also have many nerves left exposed on them. Tendons that snap can easily cripple an animal for life.

Yes but the extra support from being jointed is an advantage on land. the fulcrum structure on land may actually allow for a stronger pull. The problem of exposed nerves would still be present in an non-jointed species and a torn muscle in a Squibbon would be as crippling as a torn tendon. Though given Squibbon behavior a crippled Squibbon would likely be cared for by the rest of the group.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

A torn muscle will heal on its own, a tendon will not.

The reason I suggested a shark is that its cartiligeanoue skeleton would provide support and structure without adding superflous weight, restrictive joints or fragile bones.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

a shark closes it's eyes before eating. no wonder their stomachs have a wide manner of things in them

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

A torn muscle will heal on its own, a tendon will not.

It can heal but it's a lot harder. It's likely a muscle functioning as a support system would have different properties then normal muscle. So who knows how it will take to mending.

The reason I suggested a shark is that its cartiligeanoue skeleton would provide support and structure without adding superflous weight, restrictive joints or fragile bones.

If a shark came on land it would likely evolve a jointed leg system. It's also possible they would evolve bone like structures as they move on land.
Showing 601-615 of 1019