ForumsNews and Feedback[IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT] AG3 saved games

9 6646
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone,

I need to make a change to the beta site, effective immediately, to help coordinate migrating a lot of data to our "cloud storage" and content delivery network (CDN).

Unfortunately, for the short term, likely the next few weeks, all games will load from a slightly different URL than the games on AG2, which means your "local Flash storage" will SEEM like you've lost your progress. Your local Flash storage is based on the URL, which is usually "armorgames.com" or "cache.armorgames.com" but the beta site will be operating from "gamemedia.armorgames.com" temporarily.

This will affect all games on the beta site until we get this mountain of data moved and finalize a few other changes with game administration.

If this concerns you, you'll have to play games at AG2 until we finish this migration process. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 9 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It's also important to now that games which store their data on our servers, like Exit Path and GemCraft Labyrinth, should not be affected, since we store all of that data on our servers based on your user identity.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

mmm. I'm afraid this will cause quite a lot of mess and a lot of dup threads.
Btw, I noticed that gamemedia.armorgames thing, I was pretty close to make a thread to ask too :P

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Well, we now know that the mods will have a heck of a fun time cleaning the upcoming spam fest up.

I recommend we normal users either run to the hills or sandbag our bunker,stockpile the ammunition and help the mods.

Poor mods. =P

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Hay! Normal! I may be a regular but I am not normal! Lol I mean I am an I can has cheezburger fan! Lol

But I. Hope people be a little logical with it...
But when has that ever hapened...
So you guys have a CDN up and working on it though, so it shouln't take to long... but is there a way to ither just change the url adress or set some thin to read data frome that on the site but copy every thing to the other url and keep it onn the old on to? Or is it just not posable or takes up to much space?
IDK I ain't no web dev... I only do games...

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

ooooh i just read an article about cloud computing!!! it's cool!

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I may be a regular but I am not normal

I mean a user that is not a mod/admin.

ooooh i just read an article about cloud computing!!! it's cool!

In my school, we use Google Docs about 20 times a day. Everything we do is cloud computing.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

There shouldn't be too much spam about it, there aren't that many active users on AG3 yet. But we wanted to give everyone a heads-up on the situation in case they wondered why their game progress was suddenly "lost".

is there a way to ither just change the url adress or set some thin to read data frome that on the site but copy every thing to the other url and keep it onn the old on to?

Eventually, yes, but first we have to import all of the data from one system to the other, and there are multiple things we need to copy for each of the games such as all images, thumbnails, and the SWF files. It's easier for us from a development process to actually write a proper migration script than to break the migration stuff into several pieces where we just copy the SWFs, then copy the images, then copy thumbnails, and then update the database to point at all of the new content.

Eventually, you won't even see gamemedia.armorgames.com ... it's a temporary address we're using for this migration.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

I didn't notice the gamemedia.com thing when I was playing Raze and Demolition City 2. It said "transferring data from beta.armorgames.com". Is that supposed to happen?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The "transferring" message you see is more about checking your activity stream and other events on the site. The game SWF itself will load from gamemedia.armorgames.com for now.

Showing 1-9 of 9