ForumsWEPRThe Beginning of Time

18 4245
SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

What do you guys think on the subject?

I would like for us to discuss whether time itself has a beginning, and whether it will have an end.

All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning, about 15 billion years ago. This is probably the most remarkable discovery of modern cosmology. Yet it is now taken for granted. We are not yet certain whether the universe will have an end.

• 18 Replies
Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Skull, no offense to you or anyone else, but this thread is just too big for most, and is under pseudo discussion on another thread. creator, big bang? god? or something like that.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Actually, I'd like to say not necessarily. It's a huge topic to consider, but I know that Moe has had much success with even larger topics such as foundations of epistemology (or, in english, the basis of knowledge-gathering).

Often the topics created may have different foci- this topic is not exclusively a subset of the Big Bang one (the Big Bang was just an example), as its expression is different- so I'm going to attempt to justify the existence of this thread by saying that it's about conceptions of time.

Personally I have difficulty accepting such statements as "everything has a beginning and an end", and "everything that has a beginning must have an end". Could somebody attempt to convince me why this is important to believe?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

(p.s. time here is a layman's term...but I personally would extend this to causality as a whole. And then there's the discussion of time being expressed in causal terms...I have issues with that too.)

Karoc
Karoc
433 posts
Nomad

Did you know there are clouds in outer space called Storm Clouds and they shift around our solar system making planets... Thats how the planet was created they build up atoms and molecules and what not.. And every single thing that was ever alive come from a mouse! All of this is true don't say its not I saw it in a museum that I went to today... :P

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

It's a theory, Karoc, not a proven scientific fact. It's one of many theories, the fact is that the planets were created.

Robification
Robification
7 posts
Nomad

Well the universe is constantly expanding and from what I have learned it will either expand at a constant rate or go back to form another big bang. There are 2 other things that have been theorized that I forget maybe someone can post them. It is all really speculation really. When you just stop and try to focus on what your trying to comprehend it seems way to big for the human mind.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hm, no, posts of the sort of the 3 above do go better in the "Big Bang" and whatnot kind of material cosmology threads.

I'm saying that there's still room for purely conceptual discussion. Seriously. Why does everything that has a beginning have to have an end?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Aw man... beginning and end. I used to be able to at least play devil's advocate for causality, but I just don't know anymore...
But I will say this - beginning is just as relative as end is. Since I think they both regard something either empirically or rationally, it is still something experiential. Or is there some way to get a more physics-approved definition of beginning? Hm, I don't think there is...

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

To be honest Strop, at the moment I read that I was distracted. In the matter of begging, end, and BEYOND, I honestly don't care. I hate to do this, but, I'm gonna qoute Mike Shinona from Linkin Park,".. and in the, not matter what I pretend, the journey is more important than the end or the start."

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Dernit,........
*"..and in the *end , not matter what I pretend, the journey is more important than the end or the start."

I hate doing that.

Nerdius
Nerdius
421 posts
Nomad

Is there end without beginning? and is there beginning without end? This is like, "Witch came first, the Chicken or the Egg?" I don't think that there is a right and wrong answer.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

@ Ichi: omg, Linkin Park! Wasn't that line from the album the Reanimation version of In the End?

Yes! I remember it well...Enth e nd is based on the Hybrid Theory version but the lyrics are actually altered. Rather cool (it's also excellent to breakdance to).

Either way, I'm a process-oriented person so I strongly identify with this way of thinking.

@ Nerdius: well, yes, in a way, the question has implications on how we should form our models in several big areas, such as cosmology.

Captian_EO
Captian_EO
172 posts
Nomad

The universe has a beggining and an end, but Heaven doesn't.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I was going to ask you to justify this, Capt. EO, but then remembered that this specific statement doesn't need justifying.

But suppose I were to ask you to explain this in more detail, and what it meant. I assume that you hold Christian beliefs, and thus would say that the universe has a beginning because God created it...but what about the end? Would you relate this to the book of Revelations, and if so, how?

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Well if you want to know when the world was made about 1 million billion years ago or longer.Sure we had dinosaurs how much years ago so think about a long time back.

Showing 1-15 of 18