ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 344089
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I would have to go with KISS on this one. Whenever I hear Pink Floyd on the radio I don't get as into the music as I do with KISS. KISS just seems to give you more of that pumped up feeling. I like both but KISS is better to me. Plus Pink Floyd has really weird album covers.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

Pink Floyd. They have so many songs and they all have great lyrics with psychedelic guitar. The bass is good too. Money for example? My vote.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Pink Floyd has got better instrumentals than KISS I've always thought, plus better lyrics to match. Plus Pink Floyd has a far more varied sound than KISS, but it still sounds good.

And the fact that I'm wearing a Dark Side of the Moon T-Shirt isn't affecting my choice at all.

nebmas
nebmas
154 posts
Shepherd

Oh I didn't realize that pink floyd was such a big stage group as well. My knowledge was impaired then. Well my vote still stays the same. But if you need more elaboration now that you have just proved me wrong in a way, would you like me to elaborate more (my vote still stays the same).

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Well... have you ever attended a KISS concert? Because they have a wall of their own... a wall of sound! And it's prrreeeettty loud I tell ya! Very easy to break down the PF wall! And the PF wall actually gets broken down during a concert for a fact...

So you have been to a KISS concert? This loudspeaker 'deployment' looks 'wow' indeed. And sure, I know the PF wall gets broken down, I just failed at making a witty gag^^
I won't change my vote though, I weight the music more than the stage set-up and in this aspect, PF are just so much more unique than KISS. And I can't use any live experience to judge them on this
AvengedSevenfold11
AvengedSevenfold11
529 posts
Nomad

Its not hard to see which ones more talented here lol. My vote goes to Pink Floyd, as i semi hate KISS and am not to sure how they made it this far.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Well, I am thrilled that I visited this website today. I loved this thread so much in the previous years.
Anyway, my vote goes to Pink Floyd, as they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Great lyrics and just great overall sound in my opinion.

@DayCee: Could you catch me up a bit in where we're at in this thread?

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan in the world, but I kinda like them. Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite songs. Anyway, Pink Floyd is one of music's most successful acts.
Plus, as I've said before, I don't really like Kiss.

So, I vote Pink Floyd.

mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I'm going to have to go with KISS. I still like Pink Floyd, though. Have you ever heard Comfortably Numb? I feel like I'm dreaming. Pink Floyd truly masters the art of setting a tone, but KISS really grabs you and keeps you engaged.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Now, you had to go and pick two of my very favorite groups, I don't even want to call them bands. Can I just ask the burning question, what were you thinking? lol

I'm going to quote myself from my post to your profile page from Sunday and pose this to witnesses.

Are these two groups even in the same stratosphere? I mean Shock rock vs Mind-expanding Trip rock have absolutely nothing in common!

Ha,ha,ha,ha....

I still vote for Pink, I picked them last year and I can't even remember who they were up against but they were the coolest sound of the '70's and I was singing along to ,"...all-in-all, I'm just a,
'nother brick 'n the wall!", when everyone else was humming the theme to Star Wars my senior year.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ Schmiddy1234 : Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it... just take your time, look at the pro's and con's of each band featured in battle and decide upon which you like better!

And the fact that I'm wearing a Dark Side of the Moon T-Shirt isn't affecting my choice at all.

@ Maverick4 : It's not? Oh... what was I thinking there then?! Hmmm... LOL

@ nebmas : Oh yes, they are both HUGE stage bands, each in their own category! You're always free to elaborate more, maybe something for the next battle then? And I'll stick your vote to what it was, ok? =)

So you have been to a KISS concert?

@ HahiHa : Oh yes! I saw them perform at the "Arrow Classic Rock" festival in 2008 as the headlining band! And they rocked I can tell ya! When that wall of sound they have hits you, you won't believe how loud it is! Even Motorhead couldn't cope with it and everyone knows what their 'credo' is... =P

@ jdoggparty : Hey man! Glad you're back active with us! Welll... you did miss out on the complete group stage and most of the K.O. Rounds, but feel free to pick up from here on out! K.O. Round # G will be posted now...

@ mattduggan13 : Heheh... I have to agree that the uptempo style of Rock music is indeed something that grabs you by the throat, making you engage, whether you want to or not! And I know that for a fact! =)

@ wajor59 : Hey! YAY! Wajor is back! Glad to see ANOTHER regular return active and participate in this competition! =)
And yes... I knew somehow that you would return right smack in the middle of this particular battle! (Pinoccio's nose grows... LOL) And I know what you mean with comparing the two... they may seem very different in style of music genre, but in terms of stage performance they both rule!

Right! Back to the competition! And the expected thing to happen... happened! Pink Floyd has beaten KISS to a mere pulp with double numbers!! Ouch... that must hurt for the 'KISS Army'! (o.O)

Final score roundup for this battle shows us:

K.O. round # F :

13 - Pink Floyd - WINNER!

6 - KISS - Eliminated...

And that's that... *wipes hands clean*

---

And forward to the next round it is!! =D

Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7023278587_4c8c911354_z_d.jpg

And here's the information for those that have difficulty deciding which band to favour! Click and read/watch! =)

# Van Halen Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Jump (1984), Why Can't This Be Love - "LIVE Without A Net" (1986), Poundcake (1991).

# Scorpions Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Rock You Like A Hurricane (1984), Still Loving You (1984), Tease Me, Please Me (1990).

And as always... here are the official starting words for the new battle in the K.O. rounds!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!!
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Not a tough choice for me. Van Halen gets my vote this round. They have a more distinctive sound than other 80s "hair metal" groups. "I'll Wait" is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs ever.

I would have voted for the Scorpions, however, if the battle was between them and Sammy Hagar-Van Halen.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Darn, this is going to be tough.
Hmmm
Let's see, I own many more albums of Van Halen than I do of the Scorpians however Scorpians do have their own destinctive sound and they do rock!

On the other hand Van Halen and in particular Eddie Van Halen continues to mature and blow me away with his mind bending guitar rifts.

If I could only choose one of these groups live I would have to pick

Van Halen

and then I could die a happy woman, musically speaking of course! *~*

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And the first votes are in!! Nice to see how some people keep track of the competition! =)

I'll add my personal vote right away, because I just CAN'T sit this battle out!

People who know me, know that my vote (obviously) goes to VAN HALEN!! This band has been my drive to listen to classic rock music ever since I first heard "Jump!" on the radio! And Eddie simply has his phenominal guitar skills, PLUS he's the groundlayer/inventor of the 'tapping technique' now used by a lot of other guitar players! So give the man his due credit! =)
As for the Scorpions... they are a band mostly known for their awesome ballad songs, but they have a lot more up their sleeve in terms of classic rock, just listen to the stronger "Rock You Like A Hurricane" or my personal all time Scorpions' favorite song: "Tease Me, Please Me". The riffs in that song are pretty simple, yet really making you engage and stop to listen to it! You will always notice this song when it's started, that's how good it is! =D
Still... Van Halen beats them for me, in fact... Van Halen beats pretty much anyone they go up against for me! Let 'm all come and feel the 'VH'! HA! =)

Allright, the first score round up for this K.O. round shows a 'jump'-start for Van Halen! (*grin*) Let's see if the Scorpions can hopefully catch up and keep the battle alive!

K.O. round # G :

3 - Van Halen
0 - Scorpions

All your votes are welcome and needed, so keep checking into the thread and post those elaborated votes for one of the bands. Make it happen people! VOTE!!!

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

An easy Van Halen vote for me as well. I've always been a fan of Eddie's guitar work. 1984 was one of the first albums I ever owned. I could listen to Jump from now til the end of time and still want to listen to it more. It doesn't crack my top 5 songs, but it's durn close. Scorpions are pretty good too in my eyes, but they are just a casualty in the "wrong time, wrong place" category.

Vote: Van Halen.

Showing 526-540 of 797