Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 20, '11 at 7:02pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

oh hells yeah. let me start the votes off.

my first vote naturally goes to rush. anybody who has seen me talk about rush in the popular media section should know how crazy i am for them. amazing musicians, neil peart is an amazing lyricist, geddy lee is the king of multitasking, and alex is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. rush always gets my vote when it comes to classic rock.

the next vote was the tricky one. it was between heart, genesis, and yes. yes has bill brudford and rick wakeman, two of my favorite musicians. but overall i had to choose genesis, phil collens is the man.

Posted Sep 20, '11 at 10:29pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,647 posts

First off, good to see you back, finally Daycee. Second off, **** you for making this battle so hard to pick from.

My first vote goes for Rush. Shifting from keys to bass while doing vocals is freakin' hard, but Geddy Lee is fantastic at it. Alex Lifeson is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time, and Neil Peart...you know.

My second vote was the hard choice, but I think I shall give it to Yes. I love the guitar tone those guys use, and though the vocals are questionable, the lyrics are great.

Posted Sep 24, '11 at 4:21am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,753 posts

And I'm glad to be back guys! =D

Nice to see that Rush is off with a good start, but will it last...?! ;)

Score count so far:

# Votes counted for Group H :

# Rush _______: 6 (3+3)
# Genesis ____: 1 (1)
# Yes ________: 1 (1)
# Scorpions __: 0 (-)
# Heart ______: 0 (-)
# Thin Lizzy _: 0 (-)
# Triumph ____: 0 (-)

Let's see if the other participants of this thread will notice it's revival and return to cast their votes... =)

And, as promised, here are the example songs for each featured contestant in the last group! =)

Example songs featured contestants (in random order):

# Example Songs Heart :
- Crazy On You (1976),
- These Dreams (1986),
- Alone (1987).

# Example Songs Genesis :
- Abacab (1981),
- Land Of Confusion (1986),
- No Son Of Mine (1991).

# Example Songs Yes :
- Roundabout (1971),
- Owner Of A Lonely Heart (1983),
- Rythem Of Love (1987).

# Example Songs Scorpions :
- Rock You Like A Hurricane (1984),
- Still Loving You (1984),
- Tease Me, Please Me (1990).

# Example Songs Rush :
- The Spirit Of Radio (1980),
- Tom Sawyer (1981),
- The Big Money (1985).

# Example Songs Thin Lizzy :
- Whiskey In The Jar (1972),
- The Boys Are Back In Town (1976),
- Jailbreak (1976).

# Example Songs Triumph :
- Follow Your Heart (1984),
- Somebody's Out There (1986),
- Headed For Nowhere (1987).

I hope these give some more insight into the bands' legacies and help you guys cast your well elaborated votes! =D

Now, let's get on with them votes! Keep 'em coming! =D

Posted Sep 24, '11 at 12:18pm

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

I think I'm going to give my first vote to Scorpions.. I love their vocals, i love their guitars.  From rock to ballad, I enjoy everything by them...

The same pretty much goes for Heart, who gets my second vote..  I love female rockers and not just cause of their looks... after all, I can't see them on my ipod anyway..  Female rockers who do it well just, well..  rock!  I like Heart's wide range of songs as well..

Posted Sep 29, '11 at 3:58am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,753 posts

Did my posting of the videos scare off some people?! O.o

Several posted on my profile about making a vote entry soon, but so far it's been pretty quiet except from the regular devotees... =/

*cricket sounds*

Come on you guys! Let's here some guitars roaring in the night! VOTE!!!

Posted Oct 2, '11 at 3:16pm

dudeguy45

dudeguy45

2,594 posts

Rush: Getty Lee is a unique singer, as the guitars are. They have a lot of material that is good.

No second vote

Posted Oct 2, '11 at 4:46pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,937 posts

Knight

*looks at groups* Oh, cool!

*looks at votes* GAH!!!

...how.. why.. *sniff*

Ok, glad I looked by in time. How can this band not have any vote yet?! Why, I'm speaking of Scorpions of course! My absolute favourite of that group, because their music is awesome, melodic, beautiful, touching, melancholic, epic, great, rocking, etc... I saw them live last year for their last albums' tour, and of course they played some of their immortal best-of's too.. absolutely epic, best concert I've ever been to.
... in case you didn't guess, they'll get my first vote ;)

My second vote goes to Thin Lizzy, I really enjoy their occasional Irish touch, like in Roisin Dubh or Whiskey In The Jar.. the former being my absolute favourite song of that band. So beautiful...

Posted Oct 3, '11 at 1:11am

valboss84

valboss84

1,479 posts

My fist vote goes to Rush. I really like their style (a bit classic rock and hard rock), and their guitarist are amazing (with double neck guitars).

My second goes to Thin Lizzy. They have been a great band in the 70's, Boys are Back in town is the most known, and th best.

Posted Oct 3, '11 at 5:38am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,753 posts

I'll add my own votes as well. I've tried not to vote in every battle posted, just to live up to the impartial part of my 'job', but for this group I simply can't sit and do nothing, I HAVE to vote here! =D

First vote goes to TRIUMPH! This band is SO underrated, I can't understand why... allthough they haven't had any major worldwide hits like many other bands featured in this competition have had (like their fellow Canadian band Rush), their musical craftmanship is simply awesome! Gil Moore (drums, vocals), Mike Levine (bass, keyboards, producer), and Rik Emmett (singer, guitarist, songwriter) have shown that they have what it takes to make great, easy listening and true to the core rock songs! The fact that they were never able to get a grip on European soil is something I just can't understand, what a shame... but hey, since they're still playing and hold on by laying it on the line, they should at least be credited for fighting the good fight and they will never surrender! =D

My second vote was a little harder... but in the end I just had to choose the sheer female rock power presented by the Wilson sisters being the driving force behind HEART! The world lacks a good portion of female rock singers and musicians IMO, but the fantastic vocal power and strong guitar riffs of Heart make for a small (well, what's small...) flame burning ever so strong for others to see in the dark world and maybe decide to pick up an instrument (guitar preferably) or a microphone and make a statement that they are definitely not alone in the pursuit of these dreams! ;)

Again some more votes are pouring in and immediately the score board is shuffled! While Rush firmly stays in the lead, The scorpions jumped to 2nd place out of the blue and the rest of the bands all follow with close numbers! Great! =D

Second vote count shows :

# Votes counted for Group H :

# Rush _______: 12 (+3+3+3+3)
# Scorpions __:  6 (+3+3)
# Triumph ____:  3 (+3)
# Thin Lizzy _:  2 (+1+1)
# Heart ______:  2 (+1+1)
# Genesis ____:  1 (+1)
# Yes ________:  1 (+1)

Now, let's see if the diversity of favouring can make for a nice battle in this group, allthough I already have a feeling that one particular band is going for first place here! =)

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 5:03am

dartix

dartix

14 posts

The beatles
and queen