ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 344008
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
weter506
weter506
159 posts
Nomad

Kiss or Poison. Ahh! My head is going to explode again.

I vote to Kiss.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

MrDayCee hasn't been seen in over a month and hasn't posted in this thread in over two months. If anyone knows if MrDayCee will return to finish this up or if anyone is allowed or able to finish this up, please leave a comment on my profile. I'll be locking this thread as the last legitimate post was a month ago. This thread will be unstickied at the end of the month if nothing reasonable comes up about the future of this thread.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

After some time of absence... two VERY long months (I know!! And I'm very sorry!!) ...I'm glad to tell you that I'm finally back to continue this great competition! I only hope that enough of it's participants kept their faith in it and haven't become tired of waiting for my re-surfacing here on ArmorGames... =/

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6169/6166023186_5b263d7199_d.jpg

No details given here, but serious real-life issues outweighed my obligations to this great competition... there was no way to divide my attention to both... =/

But hey, now I'm back! So without further delay, we'll put this train back on track and get it on with this Rock Show!!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6166023220_c0f89d30e5_m_d.jpg

Allright... first things first... conclusion of the last group is needed! Let's see what these extra two months have been worth in terms of score count! This is the final score count for Group G:

# Final votes counted group G : #

Van Halen___________________: 19 (5 First Votes / 4 Second Votes) - WINNER!
ZZ Top______________________: 11 (3 First Votes / 2 Second Votes) - Runner up!

Lynyrd Skynyrd______________: 10 (3 First Votes / 1 Second Vote) - Eliminated...
Bon Jovi____________________: 3 (1 First Vote) - Eliminated...
Ted Nugent__________________: 3 (3 Second Votes) - Eliminated...
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: 1 (1 Second Vote) - Eliminated...
Quiet Riot__________________: 0 (No Votes) - Eliminated...

That's that... now on with the next group in this competition! Presenting:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6167258312_1e63c7ff4b_b_d.jpg

Featured contestants and info (in random order):

# Heart Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Genesis Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Yes Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Scorpions Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Rush Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Thin Lizzy Official Website / Wikipedia Article

# Triumph Official Website / Wikipedia Article

I'll post the example songs for each band later on, I just don't have the time to gather them right now...

Ok... since they haven't changed in two months... (heheh) =P You know those words...

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!!

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

oh hells yeah. let me start the votes off.

my first vote naturally goes to rush. anybody who has seen me talk about rush in the popular media section should know how crazy i am for them. amazing musicians, neil peart is an amazing lyricist, geddy lee is the king of multitasking, and alex is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. rush always gets my vote when it comes to classic rock.

the next vote was the tricky one. it was between heart, genesis, and yes. yes has bill brudford and rick wakeman, two of my favorite musicians. but overall i had to choose genesis, phil collens is the man.

waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

First off, good to see you back, finally Daycee. Second off, **** you for making this battle so hard to pick from.

My first vote goes for Rush. Shifting from keys to bass while doing vocals is freakin' hard, but Geddy Lee is fantastic at it. Alex Lifeson is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time, and Neil Peart...you know.

My second vote was the hard choice, but I think I shall give it to Yes. I love the guitar tone those guys use, and though the vocals are questionable, the lyrics are great.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And I'm glad to be back guys! =D

Nice to see that Rush is off with a good start, but will it last...?!

Score count so far:

# Votes counted for Group H :

# Rush _______: 6 (3+3)
# Genesis ____: 1 (1)
# Yes ________: 1 (1)
# Scorpions __: 0 (-)
# Heart ______: 0 (-)
# Thin Lizzy _: 0 (-)
# Triumph ____: 0 (-)

Let's see if the other participants of this thread will notice it's revival and return to cast their votes... =)

And, as promised, here are the example songs for each featured contestant in the last group! =)

Example songs featured contestants (in random order):

# Example Songs Heart :
- Crazy On You (1976),
- These Dreams (1986),
- Alone (1987).

# Example Songs Genesis :
- Abacab (1981),
- Land Of Confusion (1986),
- No Son Of Mine (1991).

# Example Songs Yes :
- Roundabout (1971),
- Owner Of A Lonely Heart (1983),
- Rythem Of Love (1987).

# Example Songs Scorpions :
- Rock You Like A Hurricane (1984),
- Still Loving You (1984),
- Tease Me, Please Me (1990).

# Example Songs Rush :
- The Spirit Of Radio (1980),
- Tom Sawyer (1981),
- The Big Money (1985).

# Example Songs Thin Lizzy :
- Whiskey In The Jar (1972),
- The Boys Are Back In Town (1976),
- Jailbreak (1976).

# Example Songs Triumph :
- Follow Your Heart (1984),
- Somebody's Out There (1986),
- Headed For Nowhere (1987).

I hope these give some more insight into the bands' legacies and help you guys cast your well elaborated votes! =D

Now, let's get on with them votes! Keep 'em coming! =D

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I think I'm going to give my first vote to Scorpions.. I love their vocals, i love their guitars. From rock to ballad, I enjoy everything by them...

The same pretty much goes for Heart, who gets my second vote.. I love female rockers and not just cause of their looks... after all, I can't see them on my ipod anyway.. Female rockers who do it well just, well.. rock! I like Heart's wide range of songs as well..

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Did my posting of the videos scare off some people?! O.o

Several posted on my profile about making a vote entry soon, but so far it's been pretty quiet except from the regular devotees... =/

*cricket sounds*

Come on you guys! Let's here some guitars roaring in the night! VOTE!!!

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

Rush: Getty Lee is a unique singer, as the guitars are. They have a lot of material that is good.

No second vote

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

*looks at groups* Oh, cool!

*looks at votes* GAH!!!

...how.. why.. *sniff*

Ok, glad I looked by in time. How can this band not have any vote yet?! Why, I'm speaking of Scorpions of course! My absolute favourite of that group, because their music is awesome, melodic, beautiful, touching, melancholic, epic, great, rocking, etc... I saw them live last year for their last albums' tour, and of course they played some of their immortal best-of's too.. absolutely epic, best concert I've ever been to.
... in case you didn't guess, they'll get my first vote

My second vote goes to Thin Lizzy, I really enjoy their occasional Irish touch, like in Roisin Dubh or Whiskey In The Jar.. the former being my absolute favourite song of that band. So beautiful...

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

My fist vote goes to Rush. I really like their style (a bit classic rock and hard rock), and their guitarist are amazing (with double neck guitars).

My second goes to Thin Lizzy. They have been a great band in the 70's, Boys are Back in town is the most known, and th best.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'll add my own votes as well. I've tried not to vote in every battle posted, just to live up to the impartial part of my 'job', but for this group I simply can't sit and do nothing, I HAVE to vote here! =D

First vote goes to TRIUMPH! This band is SO underrated, I can't understand why... allthough they haven't had any major worldwide hits like many other bands featured in this competition have had (like their fellow Canadian band Rush), their musical craftmanship is simply awesome! Gil Moore (drums, vocals), Mike Levine (bass, keyboards, producer), and Rik Emmett (singer, guitarist, songwriter) have shown that they have what it takes to make great, easy listening and true to the core rock songs! The fact that they were never able to get a grip on European soil is something I just can't understand, what a shame... but hey, since they're still playing and hold on by laying it on the line, they should at least be credited for fighting the good fight and they will never surrender! =D

My second vote was a little harder... but in the end I just had to choose the sheer female rock power presented by the Wilson sisters being the driving force behind HEART! The world lacks a good portion of female rock singers and musicians IMO, but the fantastic vocal power and strong guitar riffs of Heart make for a small (well, what's small...) flame burning ever so strong for others to see in the dark world and maybe decide to pick up an instrument (guitar preferably) or a microphone and make a statement that they are definitely not alone in the pursuit of these dreams!

Again some more votes are pouring in and immediately the score board is shuffled! While Rush firmly stays in the lead, The scorpions jumped to 2nd place out of the blue and the rest of the bands all follow with close numbers! Great! =D

Second vote count shows :

# Rush _______: 12 (+3+3+3+3)
# Scorpions __: 6 (+3+3)
# Triumph ____: 3 (+3)
# Thin Lizzy _: 2 (+1+1)
# Heart ______: 2 (+1+1)
# Genesis ____: 1 (+1)
# Yes ________: 1 (+1)

Now, let's see if the diversity of favouring can make for a nice battle in this group, allthough I already have a feeling that one particular band is going for first place here! =)

dartix
dartix
14 posts
Nomad

The beatles
and queen

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Naturally, I'm gonna vote for the 2 of the 70's Prog titans: Genesis and Yes. Rush gets close, but doesn't make it.

First vote goes to Yes. Amazing musicians, owners of my third favorite Keyboardist of all time, and created splendid pieces of heaven like Close to the Edge and Fragile.

Second goes to Genesis, because the Peter Gabriel era albums were pure effing gold, and because Phil Collins.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ dartix : Thanx for checking into the thread, but the bands you picked are from the first group presented in this year's competition and that group is already closed... the current group is on page 36 of the thread, GROUP H! Have a look and I'll be looking foraward to your votes with elaborated reasoning! =)

@ parrot657 : Hey, welcome back to the 'CRBWC'! Good to see you're still with us! =D

With another set of votes in the bag, this is what the score count shows so far!

# Rush _______: 12 (+3+3+3+3)
# Scorpions __: 6 (+3+3)
# Yes ________: 4 (+1+3)
# Triumph ____: 3 (+3)
# Thin Lizzy _: 2 (+1+1)
# Heart ______: 2 (+1+1)
# Genesis ____: 2 (+1+1)

And with those votes counted, Genesis catches up to Thin Lizzy and Heart for a 2 point tie and Yes has jumped to third place surpassing Triumph! This is a good thing, more votes for different bands, means diversity and more excitement! =D

Now... keep 'em coming people! The more the merrier! =D

Showing 346-360 of 797