ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 343998
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
iamnotironman
iamnotironman
1,288 posts
Nomad

First vote goes to Genesis.Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins together made a great duo and so many great hits.My favorite song by them would be Land of Confusion.Don't see why there isn't many votes.

My second goes to Thin Lizzy.They were one of the best bands in the 70's,they had a couple great songs,but the only reason I like them over Rush is because of Boys are Back in Town.

dartix
dartix
14 posts
Nomad

rushhh and only rush
oh im sorry for my previouys comment

dartix
dartix
14 posts
Nomad

as valboss says
I really like their style (a bit classic rock and hard rock), and their guitarist are amazing (with double neck guitars).

NontroppO
NontroppO
366 posts
Nomad

first Scorpions... i like their hard rock style and they got a bunch of classic songs, The Sails of Charon, Wind of Change, Born to Touch your Feelings are some of my favorites songs.

second Rush... i know few Progressive bands and maybe this one is my favorite

AvengedSevenfold11
AvengedSevenfold11
529 posts
Nomad

If been busy for a while and havent posted in like 2 months.
anyway First vote: EASY! Scorpions for shure they are easily my favouret and in my opinon are the most talented! Really amazing guitar riffs to and probably the best singer in this group.

second vote goes to Rush, they are probably the most influential and do have good songs. my favorite is probably Caravan, and their drummer is awsome. the only downside is that i cant listen to them on the radio in the car because my mom hates the voice

slayguy8
slayguy8
718 posts
Peasant

genesis and scorpions only ones that i know lol and i love genesis

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ dartix : sorry, but copy-pasting someone else's reasoning is a HUGE no-no here... be original and describe why YOU like this band, so we can all read about it! And to get your vote counted of course...

@ slayguy8 : allright, so you only know these two bands, but please tell us WHY you love these two bands, it's mandatory to get your votes counted! =)

Good to see some more votes came in and they made for some (small) shifting in the ranks!

# Votes counted for Group H :

# Rush _______: 14 (+3+3+3+3+1+1)
# Scorpions __: 12 (+3+3+3+3)
# Genesis ____: 5 (+1+1+3)
# Yes ________: 4 (+1+3)
# Triumph ____: 3 (+3)
# Thin Lizzy _: 3 (+1+1+1)
# Heart ______: 2 (+1+1)

This group will stay open untill the end of this week, purely because I refuse to give up this competition, but am struggling to come online and maintain it. But like I said, it's not dead, merely slow at the moment!

So keep them votes coming people! You still have a chance to decide the outcome of this group! VOTE!!! =D

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Man... seems like everyone has abandoned the forae here on ArmorGames?!?!? 0.o
Whatever happened to all those rock lovers out there?!
Seems like they all moved elsewhere or changed music preferences or somethin', geezzz... =(

Well, I'll STILL continue this thread in a 'die-hard-with-a-vengeance-style'! >=)
*belt tightened, collar straightened, chin up and eyes blazin'*

So, here we go with the final score count for the final round in the Group Battle stage of this competition! =D

# Final votes counted for Group H :

# Rush : 14 (4 First Votes / 2 Second Votes) WINNER!!!
# Scorpions : 12 (4 First Votes / 0 Second Votes) Runner Up!

# Genesis : 5 (1 First Vote / 2 Second Votes) Eliminated...
# Yes : 4 (1 First Vote / 1 Second Vote) Eliminated...
# Triumph : 3 (1 First Vote / 0 Second Votes) Eliminated...
# Thin Lizzy : 3 (0 First Votes / 3 Second Votes) Eliminated...
# Heart : 2 (0 First Votes / 2 Second Votes) Eliminated...

Well, that made for a few surprises there! Never thought that the Scorpions would be the ones to float to the surface! All seemed a little closer than in the other groups... meh, another shot for the others next year!

---

Now, on with the next stage in this competition, The K.O. ROUNDS!!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6036/6324725053_5c03a7c620_z.jpg

First Battle is between The Beatles and Ozzy Osbourne!

Talk about a pretty weird combination... but hey, that's the game here! =)

So, you know the words by now... I hope... LOL =P

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!! \\m//_ _\\m//

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

First Battle is between The Beatles and Ozzy Osbourne!

Talk about a pretty weird combination... but hey, that's the game here! =)

So, you know the words by now... I hope... LOL =P

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!! \\\\m//_ _\\\\m//

Oh man you're pitting two true legends? ><
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

oh man.... rough one for me....

im a HUUUUGE randy rhodes fan so my heart says ozzy.... butt the beatles are far to influential to rock music to not get my vote. so i have to vote for the beatles

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I'll take the Beatles in this one. I like various things that Ozzie has done, but I like more that the Beatles have done. I think the thing that separates them is there is pretty much nothing by the Beatles that I dislike, while Ozzie has plenty in that category for me.

Personally I think the Beatles are overrated. They had absolutely awesome timing and smart management taking every single advantage that that timing allowed (rereleasing songs at the height of Beatlemania that did nothing previously). They're a good band don't get me wrong, but I just don't think they were as good of a band as they were made out to be...

Anyways... Beatles, my vote.

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

Well my first choice goes to the Beatles because they are just musical geniuses.

My second choice goes to Pink Floyd because The album Animals, that they made was amazing.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

First three votes are in over the period of TWO WEEKS?!?! O.o

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hJREGwPF6vQ/SK1f6dn4WII/AAAAAAAACOA/rFnqyKII6aM/s1600/crazy_old_man.jpg

Looking at this, I turned grey in an instant... =/

What's happening to the forae on AG?! Where are all those Rock fanatics gone?! Geeezzz... =(

Well, we'll keep up the score and I hope some more votes will come in in the meantime, but this is sad... sad... sad... *tears filling eyes*

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kW5AQ9hZglo/TVpu5EhfvOI/AAAAAAAAAZE/SF-dUsKpd44/s1600/crying-face.jpg

Score roundup shows a small lead so far :

Vote count for K.O. Round # A :

3 - The Beatles
0 - Ozzy Osbourne

Now round up those people you know are rock fans and make them come here to vote!! We need them all! =D

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Silly me, I haven't voted yet. I would say Ozzy. Some people just can't love the Beatles you know.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Some people just can't love the Beatles you know.

Really?! Why not? I mean... everyone has his/her own preferences, but The Beatles have songs almost everyone in the world could listen to, even if it would be as background music when having a beer in a pub or waiting for a cue you know... =/
Showing 361-375 of 797