ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345089
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

def leapard ay... never been a big fan of hair metal bands. at all. unless its like van halen or the scorpions.

but i do enjoy boston, a good old fashion classic rock band.

so my vote is for boston

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

This is a tough one because I don't love either band, but I kinda like both of them. So I think I'll vote by way of which has my favorite song..

My favorite by Boston would be Foreplay / Longtime (mostly because of the guitar solo)

My favorite by Def Leppard would be Armageddon It.. No real reason there, just is..

So I guess my vote goes to Boston, because of the guitar solo in Foreplay/Longtime.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ daleks : Yes, this happens sometimes, alas... whenever I choose a video here, there's always the possibility that it's blocked in other countries. This happens the other way around to me too sometimes. Don't know why they do that, it's very annoying! =/
And what you mentioned about Def Leppard having lots of songs that sound the same to you, is probably because over the years they have taken on a very distinctive sound to their music...

@ dudeguy45 : Def Leppard is 'too flashy'? What do you mean with that? The way the band acts, because of what comes with the hair metal and all or simply their music? =)

@ delossantosj : Hang on in there a little while longer man, Van Halen and the Scorpions will definitely show up in a later part of the competition!

@ ilberic : Smart thinking there man... if all pros and cons couldn't decide the battle for you, this would be the next logical step to choose either of the two bands! =)

I can't sit out on this battle, so I will add my personal vote right away and it's for Def Leppard! It's opposed to what the others all voted for and allthough I really like Boston, their destinctive sound never completely came through for me... true, they have great songs with the 3 hits I mentioned with the example songs, but in my opinion, that's where it ends for them with me. Def Leppard on the other hand, have a real distinctive sound which I personally love! They even successfully managed to bring that distinctive sound on the market over the course of 3 decades and make a hit album in every one of the 3! Even when I saw them perform 4 years ago on a festival, they still sound fantastic, just like the Def Leppard from back in the 80's! Just grab a copy of their awesome music whenever you think to yourself: "Let's Get Rocked"!!

A first score round up after the dust settles shows a deafening blow being dealt to Def Leppard by Boston!

K.O. round # D :

4 - Boston
1 - Def Leppard

So, with 5 votes in, the lead Boston has over Def Leppard is pretty nice! Already 3 votes as a head start looks promissing, but it ain't over 'till the lady sings!

So let's make this a nice and exciting battle, grab yourself a laptop, write up that reasoned vote in a post and submit it to be counted in this battle!!

VOTE!!!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Never really heard anything from both before.. it's hard.

Def Leppard has a more refreshing rocking sound to it, but I don't like their singers voice, and they're a bit like Kiss in some way..

Boston however has a great singer and imo better guitarist. I like their sound and although it is a bit repetitive, I think I'll vote for Boston.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Ah it begins!
Although from the past posts it looks like the end of Def.

Anyways Def for me is a bit too mainstream for me, the music wasn't all that great, it was too pop for an apparent hard rock band.

Boston were unique with their style, they're lyrics were good and they didn't always try too hard to impress one sector of fans, they were all round about it.

BOSTON!!!!!

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

Def's music bores me and it was to pop for my taste
Boston had a few songs that I liked and their lyrics are pretty rad so the will get my vote.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Ouch and yowzah... talk about taking the excitement out of a battle! (o.O)
It seems like Def Leppard is degraded to be a mere spectator to Boston's awesome vote streak! =)

So with 3 more votes in for Boston, the score count shows :

K.O. round # D :

7 - Boston
1 - Def Leppard

I guess my personal fight for Def Leppard didn't help in persuading others to stand by me and vote for them, but fair is fair... it's a battle and there has to be a winner in the end! But it looks like this battle can almost be called 'over' here... =/

I'll keep it open untill coming Monday to provide some room for votes to come in, but I think it's clear who's the winning party in this battle and we have to up-tempo this competition a bit...

Keep your votes coming people!! All reasoned votes are welcome and wanted!!! =D

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

LOL Since I was the only one rootng and voting for Def Leppard here, I feel I little defeat myself... (o.O)

But since this battle is pretty much decided, it's time to close this one and start the next round like I stated! =)

Last score roundup shows :

Final score K.O. round # D :

7 - Boston - WINNER!

1 - Def Leppard - Eliminated...

Who would have thought... =P

---

Now, on with the next round in this competition, K.O. Round # E! It's a pretty special one that consists of two completely different bands... one being a 'Big-Gun' and the other being the biggest 'Rebel of the Rock-pack' here! This should proove to become an interesting battle for sure!! =D

On we go... presenting... K.O. Round # E :

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7205/6934741409_a020bcd904_z_d.jpg

Info about the featured Bands to help you decide :

# LED ZEPPELIN Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Whole Lotta Love (1969), Immigrant Song (1970), Stairway To Heaven (1971).

# Twisted Sister Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: We're Not Gonna Take It (1984), I Wanna Rock (1984), Leader Of The Pack (1985).

Now get them brains smokin' and figure out who's your favorite of the two! Check the videos, read some Wiki-information about them and check those bands' websites and decide! You have the power to push them to the next round!! =)

As always, here are the official starting words for the battle!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!!

waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

Not really a fair shot at all for Twisted Sister here. My vote goes for Led Zeppelin. All four members of this band are fantastic, and Plant's vocals and Page's guitars never get old. And I want to play bass like mister Jones.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Here goes my vote for the losing band.. Twisted Sister.

I like the music I like by them better than the music I like by Led Zeppelin. I'm a fan of the underdogs, and Underdog actually. I like what Dee Snider has done in terms of personality and music. Also, I don't find the music of Led Zeppelin up to the status that they have been given in terms of props and woohas and whatnot.

(but really I just want to vote for Twisted Sister because they're gonna get creamed in this round)

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Both bands are good but they are of slightly different styles but I personally find Zeppelin's brand of rock to be more of my taste. This maybe clichéd but their song 'stairway to heaven' is just epic. It was tragic they lost Bonham and were forced to disband.

Led Zeppelin

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

Led Zeppelin will get my vote. They made lots of great riffs and John's drumming was very good. I prefer their slower songs to their faster songs (ex. Stairway to Heaven, All my Love, D'Yer Mak'er) most of the time because when Plant gets loud it hurts my ears. I do like Communication Breakdown and Immigration song though. Sometimes I feel like their early songs all had the same mood. Twisted Sister just isn't as talented as Led Zeppelin.
Led Zeppelin

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I really kinda feel bad for the Twisted Sisters.. but I can't vote for them outta pity, because simply looking at that image on your K.O.Round # E banner makes me change my mind...

Therefore Led Zeppelin.

Also because I find their music amazing: some songs are relaxing, some songs are fun, some songs are just pure genius, and there are a few exceptions that are a bit boring. Their style, their 'auditive fingerprint' sotospeak, is very recognizable and I really like it.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

wow this is a HARD decision :O
i mean i have always liked both bands but now it ocmes down to this DD so my favorite song from each band
Led Zeppelin
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!!!!

Twisted Sister
WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE

For my vote... Ima go with *drumroll*

LED ZEPPELIN!!!

i simply know more of their songs and more about them so, so Led Zeppelin it is!!!!! BTW i think stairway to heaven is a very profound song... it makes me feel good for some reason
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ waluigi : Well, what's keping you from it? Pick up and slap that bass!

@ ilberic : Again, my gut feeling predicted you would go for the underdog here! It's almost becoming a certainty! LOL

@ Schmiddy : It's a thin reasoning... again buddy... try to be a little more productive on that part, ok? What you did now is merely name your favorite song by each band and then state which band is favorite in general with out sufficient reasoning... I'll count it this time, but please try to be a little more productive than that?! Thanx!

First score roundup shows a big lead for Led Zeppelin :

K.O. round # E :

5 - Led Zeppelin
1 - Twisted Sister

I have to say... I'm a bit dissapointed here! I knew that in the end, Led Zeppelin would probably (but surely) win this round, but I had expected Twisted Sister to put up more of a fight, being the 'Rock-Rebel' of the pack... =/

It's not over yet, so who knows what the future of this battle will bring! Keep them votes coming people! You decide!! VOTE!!!

Showing 481-495 of 797