Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 12:11am

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,986 posts

pyro. lol you have to elaborate your vote or it wont count

Why do I have to elaborate my vote? Do I have to elaborate why I voted for McCain when I fill out the ballot? They are obviously the most influential band on the entire scope of modern music.

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 12:30am

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

Why do I have to elaborate my vote? Do I have to elaborate why I voted for McCain when I fill out the ballot? They are obviously the most influential band on the entire scope of modern music.

you have to elaborate so that your vote isnt considered spam. and so that your oppinion can be some what respected.

and also you have two votes. your first vote is worth 3 points and your second is worth 1

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 1:30am

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

I must admit... I am somewhat out of my element here... but I am familiar with a few of the bands ;)... so here goes...

my first vote is Queen

...for a few reasons...
1. I like the few songs by them that I know...
2. Tony Kakko of SA says they're one of his biggest inspirations in his work ;) (SA applies to all discussions XDDDD)

My second vote goes to the Beatles

mostly b/c of their unique style and their funny accents. ...and me not remembering too much about the other ones.

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 11:30am

AvengedSevenfold11

AvengedSevenfold11

529 posts

I think you have to give a reason to
make sure you werent bribed or something

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 12:16pm

PracticalManiac

PracticalManiac

301 posts

Poor poor Jimi Hendrix *tear*

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 1:06pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,081 posts

Knight

You gotta read the rules^^:

-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 3:30pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

First choice: Queen

Seriously, no one has pipes like Freddy, and I don't think anyone ever will. The man was a phenomenally talented singer and the world is a darker place without him. Also their musical style had a fair bit of variance which kept them fresh and interesting as a band. You could listen to an entire album and not hear two songs that sounded alike, unlike todays music.

Second choice: C.C.R

Their brand of folksy rock is very catchy, melodic, and soothing. When I listen to their music I can feel what John and his co-writers were feeling when they sang their music. I think that it is the mark of a truly great musician when their music conveys their feelings, especially when it is through the instruments as much as the vocals.

Posted Mar 24, '11 at 9:09pm

Agent_AAS

Agent_AAS

1,186 posts

Wow, gotta love that pro-looking CRBWC and that brand new cool point system! If that's just group A, I guess the entire competition will be a nightmare about deciding whtere to pick a band or another... anyways:

1st vote: The Beatles

Posted Mar 25, '11 at 1:43pm

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,986 posts

my second vote falls between CCR and Queen...

On one hand, CCR is awesome because they're songs are the type just to drive around to. It really makes you want to have a good time, and there's nothing like a good time like goin' up around the bend by the river and smoking some hash.

On the other, Queen has had so many hits and have done a ton for music. There's a reason that the NHL uses "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" for the playoffs. And Bohemian Rhapsody is always an anthem of the '70's.

My second will go to... CCR

Posted Mar 25, '11 at 6:28pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,734 posts

And the Beatles still have a small lead over Queen! It's still tossing a coin for those two bands right now... the other contestants can't even come close to these two in terms of points! I guess my dream of having a 3- or even 4-way tie after the first Group stage ends will be a dream after all... heheheh... =P

@ thepyro222 : there was no reasoning for your first choice, but since you elaborated your 2nd choice so well, I won't be picky and count your vote anyways! Thanx for the elaboration and the second choice announcement! =)

@ sonatavarius : LOL it's a little different then metal, I must admit... but SURELY you know a lot of bands presented in this competition anyway, I'm confident of that!! Thanx for participating in it!! =D

@ AvengedSevenfold11 : It's not to proove you weren't bribed into voting for some particular band... my main goal to start this competition was and still is to get people talking about the great rock music made back in the days it was 'invented' and started to influence the world of music! It's a starting point for many new genres of music (I KNOW you saw the metal genealogy tree in the 'MBWC' thread...) and has been an inspiration for many bands that have fame right now! Discuss them... that's my main goal! ;)

@ PracticalManiac : There's still a chance, allthough it's very slim right now, to have him proceed to the next round... "it ain't over, 'till it's over" you know... have faith! =)

@ HahiHa : thanx for the help in pointing out the rules! And I can't stress it enough people... rules may seem annoying at times, but they serve their purpose just fine! Thanx HahiHa! ;)

@ MRWalker82 : somehow I knew you would vote for these two bands... call me weird, but I knew! O.O

@ Agent_AAS : Thanx! It means a lot coming from you my friend since you inspired me to make it! ;)

Allright, enough with the chit-chat, here's the second update on Group A:

Votes counted Group A:

Beatles_______: 21 (1+3+3+3+1+3+1+3+3)
Queen_______ : 18 (3+1+1+1+1+3+1+3+3+1)
The Doors____ :  7 (1+3+3)
Jimi Hendrix___ :  6 (3+3)
Rolling Stones_ :  2 (1+1)
C.C.R._______ :  2 (1+1)
Golden Earring_:  0

Still no votes for Golden Earring?! Do any of you guys know the band, or am I mistaken in thinking they had a world wide fame in the late 70's and the 80's?! Can't seem to figure that out somehow... anyone want to proove me right that they were known somewhere else than the Netherlands? =P

Keep them votes coming in!!!! =D