ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 344012
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
ViceGhost
ViceGhost
30 posts
Nomad

I'm not a big Rush fan and ZZ Top has funny songs, so I vote ZZ Top.

ViceGhost
ViceGhost
30 posts
Nomad

I think ZZ Top is great when it comes to writing funny song lyrics. Rush's lyrics are fine but they aren't funny like those of ZZ Top's. So I vote ZZ Top.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

i'm disappointed in all of you

@ delossantosj : I already anticipated you would say this in case ZZ Top would win this round, but come on man, chin up... *pats on the back* ...maybe next year they make it through to the finals! Just keep the faith bro!

@ ViceGhost : Thanx for elaborating on your vote a little further. It's a start and I'm sure you'll get there!

---

I try to stay as objective as possible, which is really hard for some battles like this one... but I 'kind of promised' someone I would state my vote for this battle, so here it goes...

I've put much thought into this vote, because I like both bands and even though they each play a different sub-genre of rock music, they match up for a battle pretty well for me!

I've never been a huge fan of the Progressive side of the Rock Music genre, simply because it's music always felt too woolly for my taste, but Rush was the band that actually opened the door a little for me and, even though I'm still not into Progressive Rock, I love to listen to their killer songs like "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit of Radio" and : The Big Money" for example.

And in the other corner of this K.O. battle stand ZZ Top, who play the Blues side of the Rock Music genre... and this side is the first rythem that comes to my mind whenever I hear the words "Rock Music". ZZ Top has been able to take the Blues side of Rock, toughen it up a tad bit and then lift it to a different (not higher, different) level. Their songs breathe a certain drive in riffs, which is THE ONE thing that fuels my love for Rock Music in general: drive. And in case you're wondering, especially songs like "La Grange" portray that drive...

So I'm really sorry to dissapoint you delos, but to conclude my reasoning... my vote goes to ZZ TOP!!!

And even though Rush has put up a great fight, the probability of them winning this round has dropped significantly with the last few votes that came in... so there's no reason for me to let them suffer any longer... I'm calling the final score count and I'm closing this round! So here we go:

Final vote count K.O. round # H :

10 - ZZ Top - WINNER!

5 - Rush - Eliminated...

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the K.O. Rounds for the CRBWC! So without further delay, we move on to the first of the 4 quarter finals!

Presenting 1/4 Final # I :

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7106578657_38333154d1_z_d.jpg

And here's the info about the featured Bands to help you decide :

# The Beatles Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: I Feel Fine (1964), A Hard Days Night (1964), Get Back (1970).

# LED ZEPPELIN Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Whole Lotta Love (1969), Immigrant Song (1970), Stairway To Heaven (1971).

And as always, here are the official starting words for the battle!
(Isn't this getting old or something...?! LOL)

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!!
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

The Beatles

Not even a contest for me. The Beatles have tons of great songs. While I think at times they are a little overrated I really like them and think that they were really talented and a great band. I have nothing against them.

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

This ones hard
I will vote Led Zeppelin.
Led Zeppelin has better guitar and drums, but I like Paul McCartney's voice better. Led Zeppelin 4 is one of my favorite albums and I just like more songs by Led Zeppelin than I do by the Beatles.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

This one is hard. The Beatles had so many good songs and were so successful that is hard not to vote for them, but I prefer the more hard rock of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page is one of my favorite guitarists ever, and overall Led Zeppelin is a great band and gets my vote.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

A new round. Huh.

I've always liked Led Zeppelin's music--they have a distinctive sound that can't be imitated--but my vote this round is going to go to the Beatles. Why? Simply because they have so much diversity in their music that you can't possibly dislike them as a band unless you've heard each and every one of their songs. I've noticed that I've been listening to them more over the past year and they've grown on me (seriously, George is sprouting out of my left leg and I can feel John in my inner ear).

If you're a hard rock fan, you can't help but appreciate all that Led Zeppelin has done; but the Beatles have something for everybody, and as I've found over the past few months, they have quite a bit for me too.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

while the beatles were the most influential rock band in the history of the genre, i do feel like i should give my vote to led zeppelin. based on these fine and key points.

-led zeppelin were far more talented in every aspect of the band.
-Robert Plant, top 5 rock vocals of all time easily
- Jimmy Page, top 10 rock guitarists of all time easily
- John Bonham (While short lived :/) top 10 rock drummers of all time easily as well.
- While i wouldnt put him top 10, i would put him top 20, not to mention this man was a genius musician and has been far more influential in the past 10 years than ANY of the other members. John Paul Jones is one talented son of a *****. Lemon Song is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest bass riffs of all time

- I find while although the beatles had FAR more hits than Led Zeppelin, it is for misleading reasons. many of zeppelins songs are very long and and many of their lyrics can get fairly complicated at times. this is why although they had better lyricism (in my opinion) and better general song writing, the Beatles still had more hits for this reason. fun, catchy, and easy to connect with songs. with zeppelin songs, you often have to dive deeper into the lyrics to truly connect with it.

-even the most hardcore Beatles fans can agree that Led Zeppelin were far better live performers. don't get me wrong, its not like the Beatles were bad or anything live, its just that VERY FEW artists can match up to the shows that Zeppelin put on.

-overall the only thing that the Beatles can hold over zeppelins head is that they came first, and they were more influential, though i do think that zeppelin is overall the better band.

this concludes my analysis. i hope you all gained a bit of insight

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I just can't stop giggling. Maybe it's deja vu?

Led Zeppelin.

Yes, I'm one of those folks that totally lost interest in the Beatles when Lennon got married to Yoko (Oh,no) Ono put a microphone to her mouth and thought the world would think she could sing? I was too embarrassed to listen anymore.

Now if this were a vote for the most influential Rock band then the Beatles should win and I'll simply say that it's because they led the movement from Doo-wop Rock 'n Roll through the Psychodelic era and on to just Rock. The Beatles were so commercial though I don't think they ever truly "broke out" with their own style and remained, tragically a mostly Pop-Rock band.

On the other hand, Led Zeppelin didn't have those problems and were able to break out with their legendary style that too many to mention have tried to emulate but few have surpassed, successfully.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Geez, I'd rather not vote for either band actually. It's not even that I dislike them, it's just that I don't like either of them near as much as everyone thinks I should like them.

I'll vote for the Beatles in this one. I've always love love loved the song In My Life. But I recently stumbled on another favorite of mine that I had forgotten about..

Rocky Raccoon

(and it's not just because I was born in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota either..)

Count my vote for the Beatles.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

I honestly do not know who to vote for, both bands shaped the world of music. But I think I will go with led zeppelin, they were more heavy with their style of rock, the beatles were too soft almost like pop, also I couldn't stand the voice of paul mcartney, never heard anything so out of tune.

Stairway to heaven shaped the world of metal paving way for a classical approach to metal for many other bands to come.

Led Zeppelin

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I'm not a big Beatles fan. Their songs are great in their own right, but just not for me. Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine and a couple of other tracks stand out as quite good, but mostly as soon as I hear a Beatles song, I switch it off.

Led Zeppelin is a different story altogether. They are probably the most influential band from the 60s to the 80s and I actually really like their music.
Plus, Immigrant Song! 'Nuff said.

Led Zeppelin.

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin is actually one of my favorite bands of all time. Although The Beatles were a great band, they can't compare to Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page's ability to play the double necked guitar makes for a tremendous lead over The Beatles. Also, John Bonham's drum solos, like it Moby **** for example, are amazing.

There are very few bands that can compare to Led Zeppelin in my band. They are so great that I own an authentic 1977 Englewood, California concert shirt of theirs.

So, I cast my vote for Led Zeppelin.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

But everyone knew her as Nancy.

^Favorite Beatles line. Ever. That being said, this will be the last time the Beatles are mentioned in this post.

Led Zeppelin is gonna be my vote here. I enjoy more of their songs, and they put on a far better show than the Beatles ever did. Unlike the Beatles, their lyrics actually have meaning to them. After writing their first album, I think the Beatles must have done acid or something because I'm left confused and with a funny taste in my mouth after listening to them. Rocky Racoon is the one exception, but I really do not like the Beatles.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I've listened to the Beatles my whole life and they do hold a special place in my heart. I'm also a Led Zeppelin fan, and I can't think of many bands that would beat them in terms of legendary-ness, but the Beatles are one of the few bands that can!

Showing 586-600 of 797