ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345080
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Wow! That battle really did come and go in a flash!

Well, my vote this round goes to... QUEEN!!

Yes, I truly believe that they are one of the greatest rock bands of all-time! What I like most about them is that they put themselves out there! Freddie Mercury was not afraid afraid of expressing himself and expressing his energy through song! Since I can relate to him in that sense, I can't help but respect him more than other musicians who try to keep it all inside!

Oh no... enthusiasm overload!! =D

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Omg my frickin god... and it comes down to this ;P WHAT A HARD VOTE!! Lol i like both these bands exactly the same... Hmmmm... But my vote will have to go with Pink Floyd for this on guys! Imo, they make better music, not to mention i get the meaning more ^_^ But lol my vote is:

PINK FLOYD

FoR tHe WiN!

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Omg my frickin god... and it comes down to this ;P WHAT A HARD VOTE!! Lol i like both these bands exactly the same... Hmmmm... But my vote will have to go with Pink Floyd for this on guys! Imo, they make better music, not to mention i get the meaning more ^_^ But lol my vote is:

PINK FLOYD

FoR tHe WiN!

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

this one is a tuffy.....

i shall do it this way and as im typing, i shall then decide:

vocals: queen takes it by far, freddy is the best

song writing abillity: tie for me, pink floyd and queen were both gurus at this.

lyricism: pink floyd by far. queen has its moments, but god **** can i get touched by dark side of the moon.

guitar: this is tricky, but theres no way that i can say that comfortably numb is the greatest guitar solo of all time, then say queen has better guitar. david gilmore is a genious.

bass: queen has written some of the most memorable bass licks of all time, there is no way i cant give it to them.

Drums: queen by far gets this one. pink floyd was never known for their "outstanding drums" haha.

live performances: a tie. these bands put on some of the greatest performances of all time.

overall influence: pink floyd gets this one by a hair, merely based on the time period each was based in.

so the tally for this is pink floyd-5 Queen-5....... god ****et.

you will all have to excuse me... im gunna have to do further elaboration.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Queen, every time I hear that bands name I just have whip out some of their old records and start blasting it. They were beyond unique in their playing style, combing both opera and metal in many of their songs. Freddy Mercury's voice was powerful and his piano skills were perfectly suited for the band.

Pink Floyd could only ever impress me with their song 'another brick in the wall' and 'money', I was just never fond of their playing and music, it all sounded kind of dull to me, without feeling etc.

QUEEN!!

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Queen, every time I hear that bands name I just have whip out some of their old records and start blasting it. They were beyond unique in their playing style, combing both opera and metal in many of their songs. Freddy Mercury's voice was powerful and his piano skills were perfectly suited for the band.

Pink Floyd could only ever impress me with their song 'another brick in the wall' and 'money', I was just never fond of their playing and music, it all sounded kind of dull to me, without feeling etc.

QUEEN!!

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Well, this elimination round has blasted off and the voting is tight. I'll let MrDayCee give us the tally 'cause he does it so well and because I don't want to confuse anyone and screw it up by double voting the double postings.

Be careful when posting a comment if the system is lagging, M'K?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I'll tie it up again at 6-6 by voting for Pink Floyd.

Coeincidentally, I'm once again wearing my Dark Side of the Moon T-Shirt on my sickday.

While I think everyone knows the words to the Bohemian Rhapsody, and a few less know the words to Bicycle, and a few less know the words to Fat Bottom Girls, my love for Freddie Mercury really stops there. Animals, The Wall, and Dark Side of the Moon are all exceptional albums with exceptional songs.

Besides, Pink Floyd has got a movie based off one of their albums. Queen doesn't.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

Ive decided not to vote for this battle cause i cant choose... haha danget they are both so amazing

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Pink Floyd
My favorite band. Gilmour's guitar is so great, and I don't think I've heard a Pink Floyd song that I really don't like. They have such a unique sound, great lyrics and vocals, and are overall just fun to listen to.

Although, Bohemian Rhapsody may be the best song ever to sing with some bros.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Queen.

I recently started to actively listen to some Pink Floyd, and I must say I've always underestimated them. They have real good songs lyics- and atmosphere- wise. And the artist that made some of those bizarre animated cartoons to the Wall was really.. nut crazy, but impressive.

Still, I prefer Queen by far. Freddie is simply, what, the best singer that ever lived? Well, he and Ronnie James Dio of course.
Also, and in this particular battle it might play the deciding factor, I listen much more to the melody and the feelings it triggers in me, than to the actual lyrics. And Queen has some fantastic melodies!

nebmas
nebmas
154 posts
Shepherd

Well It looks like a more varied vote so far compared to other battles. Well My vote goes to Pink floyd. Why good question. Hardly sure myself this time. But well, first of all pink floyd are more versatile. One of their songs is a favorite for funerals and then sometimes they rock out. I think they did the one with the drill, now that was imagination. I think to sum it up, pink floyd have more outside the box imagination that queen. Yeah queen have more imagination in musical terms I think, but pink floyd do strange stuff which keeps people listening

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Seeing as it's impossible for me to load the last page of the thread (page # 64), I'll wait with making a score update for now... =/

Guess we'll have to wait untill the glitch is over and fixed untill this competition can go back on track towards the (maybe) next round!

Sorry there folks...

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Seeing as it's impossible for me to load the last page of the thread (page # 64), I'll wait with making a score update for now... =/

Seems to be working for me now but that happens on lots of threads for me. Just do a score update for up to nebmas' vote.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

It's tied at 8-8. However, delossantosj voted for Queen, but then said he wasn't going to vote as it was too close for him to decide. So would that make it 8-7 Pink Floyd?

Showing 616-630 of 797