Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted May 6, '12 at 9:48pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

i cant stand the eagles. all their songs are boring as hell and there is nothing special about them.

van halen on the other hand is amazing. they have one of the greatest guitarists of all time on their line up, one of the greatest drummers, and one of the greatest vocals. very easy vote

Posted May 6, '12 at 10:04pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

i cant stand the eagles. all their songs are boring as hell and there is nothing special about them.

Finally, someone else who understands!

Can someone explain to me what people like so much about them?

Posted May 6, '12 at 10:25pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,647 posts

I'm going to go for The Eagles. I love how they take strong influence from country and fuse it into rock/ southern rock form. What helps here also is their multiple singers, multiple guitarists, and ability to play unconventional instruments for rock (i.e. Banjo). And the dueling guitars on Hotel California, amazing. That whole album is amazing too.
    Also, they didn't have to deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

Posted May 6, '12 at 10:35pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Hotel California is the only Eagles record I really care about. Van Halen are awesome throughout their David Lee Roth years, including their latest. Just catchy and well-written rock anthems. Plus they're all around competent instrumentalists.
So yeah, Van Halen it is.

Posted May 7, '12 at 9:10am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

I will vote for Eddie Van Halen and whoever else he is bringing to the table at any given point.

I actually like both the bands.  Each one is my favorite, depending on the way the day is going. Eagles for when the day is going free and easy, Van Halen for when the day is a bit edgy.  At the end of the day, I think I like Eddie's guitar over Joe Walsh, though I do love them both.

Vote:  Van Halen

Posted May 7, '12 at 5:22pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen, and I like The Eagles more than I do Van Halen. Easy choice, really. So The Eagles get my vote.

Posted May 7, '12 at 5:43pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,086 posts

Knight

The Eagles it is for me. Yes, their music is usually more calm than the one from Van Halen (as far as I can judge), and this is precisely what I like about them. Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.
I may have gotten into some very hard and dark music in the last years, but I still seek for the melody in the songs as I always did, and I definitely find it, and more of it, when listening to The Eagles. I know enough other cool bands when I need some rock rhythm ;)

Posted May 7, '12 at 9:17pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

3,314 posts

van halen on the other hand is amazing. they have one of the greatest guitarists of all time on their line up, one of the greatest drummers, and one of the greatest vocals. very easy vote

This. I know the Eagles have made lots of classics, but I've never gotten into them. They're just boring.

Van Halen has probably my favorite guitarist and one of my favorite drummers. They have great vocals and have made so many amazing songs that I could listen to whenever I wanted. As delos said, easy vote.

Posted May 8, '12 at 9:06pm

midnighToker

midnighToker

2 posts

how is it betwen the eagles and van halen. ughhh not voting.

Posted May 8, '12 at 9:23pm

midnighToker

midnighToker

2 posts

groups 3,5,7 didnt even have to ppl id vote for the rest had at least 3. i feel this was not spread out as well as possible. but of course that is based on my favorites