Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted May 10, '12 at 7:06am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,646 posts

I don't know if this post is even going to show up at all, as I've been experiencing some problems with opening the last page of this thread lately... therfor I couldn't see all the posts in order to have an accurate score count for this battle. Admins have this bug targeted and are working on it! But as I don't want to wait any longer, here goes nothing... =)

First, before even counting any votes, I HAVE to vote for my personal favorite as I would (and have done) with every battle they are featured in! That personal favorite is VAN HALEN!!!
As I explained in battles before, they simply embody rock music for me! A band that rocked the foundations of the genre with their killer debut album and it's blasting track list lead by 'Running With The Devil'! Decades and several major changes in lineup later, the band STILL plays a strong and powerful sound within the rock genre with their new -yet familliar sounding- album in the record stores! Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang and DLR rock the world and will probably continue to do so untill grimm grabs them! =)

That said... on with answering the posts!

@ wajor59 : Really? Ouch... that hurted... I really thought you were a sure bet on standing by me in who to vote for there... but don't worry, I'll stand my ground alone! =P

Van Halen is good but I was never a heavy metal/hard rock fan.

@ daleks : Not mocking you, but it's a little funny to see someone state that Van Halen is a 'Heavy Metal' band there... no hard feelings there, ok? ;)

Eddie is also a great keyboardist!

@ Skeleton_Pilot : Few people actually know that Eddie is a great musician who plays a wide variety of instruments, a piano among others! =)

Ok so i really on't know these bands too well

@ Schmiddy1234 : Ouch... that hurted Schmiddy! Not so much soly for the sake of Van Halen, but equally for The Eagles. These two bands are true giants in the world of music! So, I'm a little flabbergasted that you don't know either of them that well... =/

Why do you do this to me? It was nearly impossible for me to choose!

@ FALLEN950 : That's my job bro! Providing you with impossible to choose battles! LOL =P

deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

@ waluigi : In defence of those 'cheesy songs' in the 'Van Hagar' period... those songs were actually made in a period that marks the immense joy they (Eddie, Alex and Michael) were having with the band's new addition (Sammy) after a very tensed and awfully rotten breakup with DLR! The band was already evolving in sound and by means of having a rythem guitar added to the ranks, they were able to evolve and become a #1 billboard act! Something DLR couldn't/wouldn't provide for... ;)

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen

@ Maverick4 : I actually beg to differ Mav... I know I'm (by now) sounding as if I have a preference in this battle (I do), but I don't care right now... in my opinion, Van Halen has just as much classics in their repertoire as the Eagles have! Make two lists and compare them and you'll see whatI mean... ;)

Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.

@ HahiHa : Now THAT is an interesting thought right there... maybe we should suggest this to them by means of an email petition?! =)

how is it betwen the eagles and van halen. ughhh not voting.

groups 3,5,7 didnt even have to ppl id vote for the rest had at least 3. i feel this was not spread out as well as possible. but of course that is based on my favorites

@ midnighToker : So... will you be voting for this battle then? Or... =/

The battle is still not over as the score count shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # III :

6 - THE EAGLES
8 - VAN HALEN

Van Halen has a small 2 votes lead over the Eagles at the moment, but the battle isn't over yet... so anything's possible!!! Let's just wait and see who will prevail and proceed to the semi finals! But don't make us wait to long... =0

So give up stalling it and post those reasoned votes people! The more the merrier! VOTE!!!

Posted May 10, '12 at 7:07am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,646 posts

I don't know if this post is even going to show up at all, as I've been experiencing some problems with opening the last page of this thread lately... therfor I couldn't see all the posts in order to have an accurate score count for this battle. Admins have this bug targeted and are working on it! But as I don't want to wait any longer, here goes nothing... =)

First, before even counting any votes, I HAVE to vote for my personal favorite as I would (and have done) with every battle they are featured in! That personal favorite is VAN HALEN!!!
As I explained in battles before, they simply embody rock music for me! A band that rocked the foundations of the genre with their killer debut album and it's blasting track list lead by 'Running With The Devil'! Decades and several major changes in lineup later, the band STILL plays a strong and powerful sound within the rock genre with their new -yet familliar sounding- album in the record stores! Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang and DLR rock the world and will probably continue to do so untill grimm grabs them! =)

That said... on with answering the posts!

@ wajor59 : Really? Ouch... that hurted... I really thought you were a sure bet on standing by me in who to vote for there... but don't worry, I'll stand my ground alone! =P

Van Halen is good but I was never a heavy metal/hard rock fan.

@ daleks : Not mocking you, but it's a little funny to see someone state that Van Halen is a 'Heavy Metal' band there... no hard feelings there, ok? ;)

Eddie is also a great keyboardist!

@ Skeleton_Pilot : Few people actually know that Eddie is a great musician who plays a wide variety of instruments, a piano among others! =)

Ok so i really on't know these bands too well

@ Schmiddy1234 : Ouch... that hurted Schmiddy! Not so much soly for the sake of Van Halen, but equally for The Eagles. These two bands are true giants in the world of music! So, I'm a little flabbergasted that you don't know either of them that well... =/

Why do you do this to me? It was nearly impossible for me to choose!

@ FALLEN950 : That's my job bro! Providing you with impossible to choose battles! LOL =P

deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

@ waluigi : In defence of those 'cheesy songs' in the 'Van Hagar' period... those songs were actually made in a period that marks the immense joy they (Eddie, Alex and Michael) were having with the band's new addition (Sammy) after a very tensed and awfully rotten breakup with DLR! The band was already evolving in sound and by means of having a rythem guitar added to the ranks, they were able to evolve and become a #1 billboard act! Something DLR couldn't/wouldn't provide for... ;)

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen

@ Maverick4 : I actually beg to differ Mav... I know I'm (by now) sounding as if I have a preference in this battle (I do), but I don't care right now... in my opinion, Van Halen has just as much classics in their repertoire as the Eagles have! Make two lists and compare them and you'll see whatI mean... ;)

Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.

@ HahiHa : Now THAT is an interesting thought right there... maybe we should suggest this to them by means of an email petition?! =)

how is it betwen the eagles and van halen. ughhh not voting.

groups 3,5,7 didnt even have to ppl id vote for the rest had at least 3. i feel this was not spread out as well as possible. but of course that is based on my favorites

@ midnighToker : So... will you be voting for this battle then? Or... =/

The battle is still not over as the score count shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # III :

6 - THE EAGLES
8 - VAN HALEN

Van Halen has a small 2 votes lead over the Eagles at the moment, but the battle isn't over yet... so anything's possible!!! Let's just wait and see who will prevail and proceed to the semi finals! But don't make us wait to long... =0

So give up stalling it and post those reasoned votes people! The more the merrier! VOTE!!!

Posted May 12, '12 at 4:27pm

numino

numino

217 posts

The Eagles because their lyrics are more mature and elegant in its style, van halen just seem to be more childish/teenage drivel.

Both of the bands write good music but I find the eagles to be more fitting when it comes to diversity.

Eagles

Posted May 12, '12 at 6:04pm

theregulator

theregulator

545 posts

While both bands are very good, I vote The Eagles by a slim margin. I do love the hair rock of Van Halen, but I love the smooth groove of The Eagles just a little bit more.

Posted May 12, '12 at 9:12pm

DrElmer

DrElmer

450 posts

I vote for Van Halen. Their music is very powerful even when their lyrics are practically meaningless. The Eagles seem too passive to me.

Posted May 13, '12 at 3:58pm

calebsi

calebsi

148 posts

I've always preferred 70s music over 80s music so I will vote for The Eagles

I don't really like either but

Posted May 13, '12 at 4:02pm

calebsi

calebsi

148 posts

Sorry I pressed submit accidentally

anyway, from where I left off:
I prefer the smooth rock of the Eagles over the louder music of Van Halen. Also, I like the vocals of the Eagles more than those of Van Halen.

Posted May 13, '12 at 4:31pm

Armpit

Armpit

655 posts

Van Halen is one of my favorite bands from the 80s, arguably one of the greatest bands of all-time. When they play, their instruments are always in perfect harmony. If I'm in the mood for some glam-metal, which I often am, Van Halen is always my first choice.

I cannot stand country music. The Eagles aren't much better. Yes, it is smooth, but perhaps too smooth to actually be worth listening to.

Posted May 13, '12 at 7:57pm

Cpt0bviousV2

Cpt0bviousV2

17 posts

Very hard decision... But in the end i have to go with...

Van Halen!

Van Halen just has more songs i like. And a wide array of them too. ;) The way they play and the type is just good. Unlike the eagles who slow music really isn't my type.

Posted May 14, '12 at 5:24pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,646 posts

It was a close call! This battle was a tie in the end, but the last two votes were in favour of Van Halen, making them the winner. But if you ask me, the Eagles can leave the battlefield with their heads held high, because it could have gone either way! Maybe they make it through next time? Who knows... ;)

So, let's round this one up and present the :

Final score count for 1/4 Final # III :

11 - VAN HALEN - WINNER!
9 - THE EAGLES - Eliminated...

I was supposed to post the new battle today, but something IRL got in the way, so I will gather my information and present it to you tomorrow morning! =)

Sorry for the delay there people! =/