Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted May 15, '12 at 4:15am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,775 posts

Again, sorry for the delay, but here's the new round!! And on we go with the last of the 1/4 Finals to decide who will be added to the final 4 contestants in this competition, so we won't wait any longer! Presenting...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/6968982414_d1b1a428e8_z_d.jpg

Again... here's some information about both contestants for those that might need some help in deciding!

# Boston : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: More Than A Feeling (1976), Don't Look Back (1978), Amanda (1986).

# ZZ Top : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs : La Grange (1973), Gimme All Your Lovin' (1983), Legs (1984).

As always, here are the official starting words for the battle!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!! =D

Posted May 15, '12 at 7:39am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

Easily ZZ Top here.

ZZ Top is like hardcore blues if there ever was such a thing, and it's awesome.  I love their voices, their looks, their sound. And besides all that, they produce maniacs:

Like This Guy

Boston I like, but that voice would just start getting on my nerves after a while..

So my vote = ZZ Top

Posted May 15, '12 at 7:41am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

if this is a double post, I apologize, but I'm not seeing my post appear..

Easily ZZ Top here.

ZZ Top is like hardcore blues if there ever was such a thing, and it's awesome.  I love their voices, their looks, their sound. And besides all that, they produce maniacs:

Like This Guy

Boston I like, but that voice would just start getting on my nerves after a while..

So my vote = ZZ Top

Posted May 15, '12 at 7:46am

wajor59

wajor59

904 posts

I didn't have to think long and hard over this contest at all. I vote for ZZTop.
I know they have some of the raunchiest lyrics but far from the worst in Rock history but their jazzy/bluezy Rock is some of the finest in the history of Rock.
Without looking for a Wiki citation my first guess would be that was where they found their inspiration for the name ZZ in ZZTop; it's a combination taken from the "zz's" in jazz and the "z" sound in the word blues?
I know a lot of you may not appreciate the Blues genre because it's slower than Metal but take another listen to Led Zeppelin because it's firmly rooted in Blues and Jazz too.

So, why don't I like Boston? Let's just look at it this way, if I only had the money to buy one concert ticket and my choice was these two bands then my money's on ZZTop.
This is basically how I always make my final decision with all of these contests.

Hey MrDayCee, do I get a cookie for being first three times in a row?
Thank you for giving me the heads up and because you had to let me know when the rounds were over I defer my cookie over to anyone you didn't have to remind.

Posted May 15, '12 at 7:51am

wajor59

wajor59

904 posts

Oh no, I got trumped by Iberic so please ignore my "cookie" comment...

Darn it...

Good job, Iberic!
humpf, he stole my cookie...

Posted May 15, '12 at 3:51pm

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,986 posts

ZZ Top all the way. Their songs are a lot more known, and they're a much better band,

Posted May 15, '12 at 6:56pm

daleks

daleks

3,325 posts

This one is actually though for me. I like Boston but I will have to go with ZZ Top on this one. Boston has that sound that makes them easily recognizable but it also makes all their songs sound slightly the same. ZZ Top on the other hand has more variety I guess. So ZZ Top.

Posted May 15, '12 at 9:10pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

3,314 posts

This is really tough. Boston has some great tunes, and a really distinct sound. More than a feeling has always been one of my favorite songs. But in a way boston's sound gets repetitive, while I think I could listen to ZZ Top all day. They have a bluesy jazzy sound that is mixed with some kickass rock. It's a great combo and they are a great band. Also, for some reason I like 3 man bands a lot. ZZ Top gets my vote.

Posted May 17, '12 at 6:43am

TOINOU79

TOINOU79

11 posts

I like that !

Posted May 17, '12 at 11:02am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,775 posts

First votes are in and it looks like everyone is choosing sides with the 'Beards' here! =)

I was actualyl thinking that they would be defeated by Boston, looking at the previous rounds where Boston easily smashed Def Leppard out of the competition! ;)

@ ilberic : Don't think I'll count your vote twice because you had the forum glitch act up upon you during your posting! LOL =P
And you have been waiting a LONG time to post this Steve Moore vid once again now did ya?! Well, did you see his X-mas vid *** well? Not so related and/or great as the first, but again... fierce drumming goin' on there! ;)

@ wajor59 : Don't worry... you've been first the last 2 rounds, so I bet you'll make it with the next round again! ;)
Here... to ease the pain a little!

http://www.icrossmedia.nl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cookie.jpg

@ thepyro222 : A little thin there bro... try to make a little elaboration on your vote next time, ok? Thanx! ;)

@ TOINOU79 : That's a roger... but to be clear about it, 'what' is it you like exactly? Because this is just spamming on a thread... ;)

@ all : It seems like the general opinion is that Boston has a sound that becomes repetitive after a while... never thought anyone would say this, but I guess it's fair to some extend! =/

Strange unexpected development for this battle so far, but ah well... strange fruit is exciting and new! So, here's the first score roundup! And it shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # IV :

0 - BOSTON
5 - ZZ TOP

Let's see if Boston recovers from this series of blows and makes it back alongside of ZZ Top again! Should/could be interesting... =)

State those elaborated votes and help your favorite band win! VOTE!!!