Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 5, '12 at 1:02am

Q_File

Q_File

105 posts

Hard to bang your head to ZZ Top, though they do have some great stuff.
I prefer Van Halen.

Posted Jun 5, '12 at 1:37am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

Sorry ZZ Top, I love your beards (Frank included) and your dance-to-able style, but Van Halen is the all-around better band in this battle! The melodies in their songs are more interesting to me and the music style is definitely more complex!

But that doesn't change the fact that I love both bands!

Posted Jun 6, '12 at 6:21am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

Well both bands are great.. but I think I will still keep voting for ZZ Top as Van Halen, though having nice melodies and having been an influence for some great music etc., simply use a bit too much synths at times and not all songs are so interesting.
ZZ Top is just classy, rocky, and gets my vote. They're not as big a caliber as Led Zeppelin for example, but I mean c'mon..  who would think that some guys with beards and plush decorated guitars could play such cool rhythms ;)
Therefore Legs!!!

Posted Jun 6, '12 at 3:14pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,487 posts

I have to vote for ZZ Top. Frank Beard's drumming is truly excellent, but the guitar-playing is simply particularly tasteful. Billy Gibbon's solos are amazing! Moreover, I really like Southern Rock, hence their music is more to my liking.

Plus, Sharp Dressed Man!

Posted Jun 7, '12 at 11:22am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,733 posts

@ FALLEN950 : I second your motion and move to dismiss the others! LOL

@ Q_File : As much as I'd like to... I can't count your vote as your reasoning is thinner than paper. Elaborate a little more and I'll count it in the total score count, ok? Thanx! ;)

@ HahiHa : I can't help but feel like you actually made a smart strategic vote here. *chinrubs* I don't know... feels like it though! Heheheh... ;)

@ goumas13 : Te quoque Brutes?! (o.O) *raises eyebrow and crumbles to the floor*

Ouch... Van Halen seems to have a tough time against ZZ Top here! Not what I had hoped for, but actually did anticipate as I know the preferences of several regular voting AG users! Again... ouch... (o.O)

Score count so far shows us :

Score count for 1/2 Final # 2 :

5 - VAN HALEN
8 - ZZ TOP

Van Halen was crawling back towards ZZ Top for a moment there, but they couldn't keep up with them as the 'bearded men' pulled away once more!

There's now a 3 vote gap between the two bands. So... will you be the one deciding Van Halen's fate or will you help them come back alongside of and -who knows- maybe even surpass ZZ Top again? You decide! VOTE!!! =D

Posted Jun 8, '12 at 5:40am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

I can't help but feel like you actually made a smart strategic vote here. *chinrubs* I don't know... feels like it though! Heheheh... ;)

Eh? *looks back a few pages* Oh.. you're right.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeVmfm0V6u7fP-DDsETDJGIzBXW1X11fGLp5s5rLV3FHBenrOdUw

I would still have voted ZZ Top otherwise, but it's nice to see my subconscious is so smart :D

Posted Jun 8, '12 at 1:55pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

ZZ Top. I like the Southern Rock tinge in their music. Also, Sharp Dressed Man is just awesome to my ears....

Posted Jun 10, '12 at 12:15pm

wajor59

wajor59

904 posts

@ Hahiha
Funny but that image reminds me of Queen? o_O

ZZTOP

I know what you're thinking... didn't she pick a band she dislikes over ZZTop the last time?? Yes. And didn't she have nothing but good things to say about Van Halen in other contests? Yes.

Not only is it the right of a lady to change her mind but it's a Constitional right of all US citizens!

I've been jamming to ZZTop long before I knew who Eddie Van Halen was and I didn't stop jammin' when I heard DLR sing "Dance The Night Away".

I agree with Nichodemus, "Sharp Dressed Man" is one of my all time favorite songs..

Posted Jun 10, '12 at 1:31pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

Funny but that image reminds me of Queen? o_O

Yeah, that's ol' Freddie. The image is supposed to express a feeling of success. It's a stylish way to say 'YES!'. At least I think; you never know with internet memes...

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 11:34am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,733 posts

Oh shute... *clears throat* ..ahemhemhemmm...

And nowww... the time is nearrr...
It's time to faceee... the final curtainnn... (o.O)

Guess the curtain has fallen for Van Halen once more! Last edition they had to give up in sight of the final as well! Oh well... you decided people! =)

So here's the final score for the 2nd 1/2 Final:

Final score count for 1/2 Final # 2 :

10 - ZZ TOP - WINNER!
5 - VAN HALEN - Eliminated...

Before moving on to the next round...

@ nichodemus : It's probably from typing on your iPhone, but it's not the standard of posts one expects from you... ;)

@ HahiHa : Ahm... Queen was eliminated a long time ago my friend... LOL =P

@ wajor59 : I can remember you rooting for Van Halen at some point... but I guess I'm mistaken there! ;)

---

Right... As Freddie would have said: "The show must go on!"

So, here we are, presenting the...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7226/7176729187_939981ec50_z_d.jpg

Here's the information on both bands, just in case you need a refreshing of memory (doubt it) and to help you decide!

# PINK FLOYD : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Money (1973), Another Brick In The Wall - Original (1979), Comfortably Numb - Live @ Earls Court London (1980).

# Van Halen : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: Jump (1984), Why Can't This Be Love - "LIVE Without A Net" (1986), Poundcake (1991).

Hope I got this right in one go! =)

As always, here are the official starting words for the battle!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!! =D