Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 20, '12 at 1:16pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Led Zeppelin is the better choice in a few ways. Jimmy Page's unique guitar sound inspired millions of other guitar players to make their own sound in a world where every riff sounded exactly the same. Robert Plant's raw voice is so distinctive- it's one of a kind, where ZZ Top's voice is somewhat distinctive, but more people know that harsh, high-pitched scream-sing that helped to give metal it's vocal sounds. John Paul Jones and John Bonham could lay the best beats and really set up a good rhythm. They can play loud and fast, or quiet and slow- their group dynamics help each other balance out.

Posted Jun 20, '12 at 1:45pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,370 posts

I agree with you 100%! Jimmy Page is a very talented guitarist, to say the least, and Rob can hit those high notes like no other! You can truly feel the emotion behind their music when you listen to it... you don't have to listen hard! =)

Stairway to Heaven has also held a special place in my heart since I was a young'un. So of COURSE they're getting my vote this round!

That's my vote from page 70... I love both bands but Led Zeppelin is in this case the slightly superior band!

Sorry ZZ Top, I love your music and your beards but Zeppelin is an unstoppable force of legendary rock power!

Posted Jun 20, '12 at 2:34pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,708 posts

Knight

Led Zeppelin can appeal to a wider genre, whilst ZZTop might be held back slightly by their mostly Southern sound. So, Led Zeppelin.

Posted Jun 20, '12 at 2:59pm

Armpit

Armpit

802 posts

ZZ Top is one of a kind. Led Zeppelin is too, but they aren't as distinctive to me as ZZ Top

I'm an English gentleman. ZZ Top's southern sound is more exotic to me than that of Zeppelin.

Posted Jun 20, '12 at 4:34pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,824 posts

Led Zeppelin not as distinctive as ZZ Top? You kidding?

Anyway, I vote Led Zeppelin. Clearly. I voted for ZZ Top twice and they deserve a second place, but LZ is clearly a greater band. They have more talent, play more complex and nice sounding melodies, beautiful songs as well as rocking ones. They had more influence on the whole musical scene, are world known and landed a few big hits. I think they deserve first place.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 12:35am

FALLEN950

FALLEN950

166 posts

Led Zeppelin by a landslide.

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. Jimmy Paige is a great guitarist, as John Bonham is a great drummer.

Led Zeppelin has greater songs than ZZ Top as well. Like Stairway To Heaven, The Rain Song, Black Dog, and many more.

Led Zeppelin takes CRBWC winner easily.

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 10:00am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

Oh geez, ZZ Top by far and away for me.

Led Zeppelin has a few great songs that I love listening to, but they have a lot of stuff that is just dull and boring and I just don't get (primarily because I don't want to waste my time "getting" it).. ZZ Top though I could listen to them anytime, even the songs I don't really care for.

My vote - ZZ Top

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 10:03am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

I just voted and apparently it didn't post, or this will be another double post..

My vote - ZZ Top

Truncated reasoning due to not wanting to lay it all out (ZZ Top good all the time, Led Zeppelin good some of the time)

My vote - ZZ Top

Posted Jun 23, '12 at 5:41am

wajor59

wajor59

934 posts

I just seem to have that kind of timing...
Where do I begin?
I've read everyone's response yet I wasn't keeping a count so I don't know if I'm the defining vote?
It really doesn't matter because, "The song remains the same" off of the Houses of the Holy album is one of my very favorite songs. It was when I first heard it and now that my sound equipment is better it just makes it sound that much better. So, my vote has to go to Led Zeppelin.

Hahiha says it best that ZZTop does deserve second place. I love their style of bluzy/jazzy southern rock that is best played loudly and outside, such as at a Nascar race! I always take at least one of their cd's with me if I'm driving for longer than two hours because I know they'll keep me awake and smiling!

Posted Jun 23, '12 at 2:00pm

Q_File

Q_File

108 posts

Led Zeppelin has a more powerful sound. ZZ Top is great but Led Zeppelin has some of the greatest guitar riffs around.
ZZ Top does deserve second place, though.