ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1389352
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

A supporter of Evolution - David Kitts, Professor of Geology admitted: "Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them." As you say to us, if we cannot provide the evidence how can we prove it to be true? And how can Evolution be true if you cannot provide the full "supposed" links and evidence?

"Despite the bright promise that paleontology provides a means of 'seeing' evolution, it has presented some nasty difficulties for evolutionists, the most notorious of which is the presence of 'gaps' in the fossil record. Evolution requires intermediate forms between species and paleontology does not provide them." -David B. Kitts

First off let's consider this quote is from something the guy wrote in 1974. The man retired in 1988. We have filled in plenty of "gaps" since then. In fact with the fossil record gaps are expected, what we have found has been far more then what we could have ever hoped for. Particularly in areas such as following our own linage.
I'm also trying to find the paper itself so i can read it first hand and the mans position. I suspect this is either quote mined to make it sound more in favor of creation (as commonly done), or the guy had a bias believing creationism.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/tiktaalik-transitional-fossil.png

Secondly, even if we threw out every single fossil we currently have we still have sufficient evidence for evolution.

Plaigiarised Errors and Molecular Genetics
Examples of Evolution.
29+ Cases for Macroevolution
Observed Instances of Speciation
Lizards Undergo Rapid Evolution After Introduction To A New Home
Ring Species: Unusual Demonstrations of Speciation
Facts Of Evolution: Retroviruses And Pseudogenes

The theory of Evolution doesn't require paleontology in the least.
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

[quote] Satan will have to be defeated once and for all. (Which is what is going to happen in the future)

You hope. We technically have no idea who's going to win between the two.[/quote]

I don't understand, are you a Christian? If you are, then you should know that Jesus will stamp out Satan.
I suspect this is either quote mined to make it sound more in favor of creation (as commonly done), or the guy had a bias believing creationism

Or he just admitted that we can't find the facts to fill all of the gaps that needed to solidify this theory.

[quote] If we destroy sin, in the process we destroy free will.

Not really. I mean I'm saying to stop the ideology of "sin". You could still steal, not believe in god and all those sins without it being a problem. [/quote]

You are suggesting that we get rid of punishments, and we can do all the crime we want?
This is why there must be punishment for sin, to stop sin.

If a parent says to his child, Don't play on the X-BOX, but then the child does and recieves no punishment, what's to stop him from doing it next time?

If God says to his children, Don't steal, murder (etc.), but then the people kill and steal and recieve no punishment, what's to stop them from killing more people and stealing more?
Punishment stops sin from happening.
Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

I don't understand, are you a Christian? If you are, then you should know that Jesus will stamp out Satan.

So much for faith, aye?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Or he just admitted that we can't find the facts to fill all of the gaps that needed to solidify this theory.

I wasn't making a definitive determinations. Looking at what I could find of this without shelling out money to buy it, it appears to be a quote mine. Also as I pointed out the "gaps" aren't needed to solidify the theory so even if that is what he meant then he's flat out wrong.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If a parent says to his child, Don't play on the X-BOX, but then the child does and recieves no punishment, what's to stop him from doing it next time?

Isn't the parent not circumventing the child's free will in this instance because the parent feels they know what's best for their child?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Punishment stops sin from happening.

Well it sure isn't working.

The child could just say: "Why can't I? I see no reason why I shouldn't, so I won't obey you."
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Punishment stops sin from happening

No. In some cases, and i empasise some it can deter someone from sinning.

"Thou shall obey thy mother and father" is a commandment, sure. But i don't think God will be sending a 6 year old to hell for playing a video game.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Punishment stops sin from happening

When you forbid something then there is dare in doing it anyway.
Humans like to do what is forbidden.

Good example for it is marijuana: a whole lot of people in the world use it. And there where it is legal the usage ratings are actually lower then for example in the usa or uk.

Bad example whold be a sin like killing people.
That is morally never good. (except in war)
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But i don't think God will be sending a 6 year old to hell for playing a video game.

Why not? The Bible has people being punished severely for less.
pballaddict
pballaddict
128 posts
Nomad

@MageGrayWolf
Example?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Why not? The Bible has people being punished severely for less.

The bible is about a 2000 year old society.
Sins nowadays are a mix between bible law and secular law.
The Bible almost promotes pedophilia, yet Christians would look upon it as a sin.

I know right, double standards coming from me.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

@MageGrayWolf
Example?

Picking up sticks, getting mauled by a bear for calling someone a name, simply not believing gets you in hell.

The bible is about a 2000 year old society.
Sins nowadays are a mix between bible law and secular law.

How does that matter?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The Bible almost promotes pedophilia, yet Christians would look upon it as a sin.

not realy, lots of priests have done many nasty things if i have to believe the news from last year. (always young boys =S never a young girl. are those priests pedo and gay?)

but oh well just confess to the lord and evrything is forgiven.
<3 those lazy christians
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

not realy,

(NUM 31:17) "Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him."
(31:18) "But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Pedophillia.

not realy, lots of priests have done many nasty things if i have to believe the news from last year. (always young boys =S never a young girl. are those priests pedo and gay?)

It has been a scandal in the church forever, it is only recently gaining the attention it deserves, mainly in ireland.

As for only boys, not with Father Bredan Smyth.
This monster molested over 100 girls and boys and instead of being turned in to the police by the Bishops was moved from parish to parish - from ireland to USA. This is why i disagree with how the church is run. Makes me ill.

What a lovely last comment before vacation. Toodles.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

never a young girl. are those priests pedo and gay?

It's because young boys can work in the churches for something I forgot the name of.
Showing 2206-2220 of 4668