Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Theism and Atheism

Posted Jan 5, '13 at 10:40pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

Curse you Emp for having good counter points :P

Being a heavily indoctrinated Christian for years, then objectifying it will do that.

Posted Jan 5, '13 at 10:49pm

xxBoogeymaNxx

xxBoogeymaNxx

85 posts

Yeah, and I don't think I really got my point across. What I meant (I think) is why Christianity and Judaism is considered so different, when Christianity is sort of just a branch of Judaism. As for the second part about blasphemy and heresy, I didn't really think that part through very well xD

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 12:23am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

What I meant (I think) is why Christianity and Judaism is considered so different, when Christianity is sort of just a branch of Judaism.

Although they share roots, they are quite different. As I mentioned, "Certain aspects (what texts are holy, the personality of that God, what He's done, His laws, His plans, etc) are disputed." For example, some Jews (depending on their strictness) believe they are required to follow most or all of the Mosaic laws. Christians (although some claim otherwise) are not scriptually required to follow those laws, other than the ones repeated in the New Testament, which often includes the Ten Commandments and a few others. Issues arise when people pick-and-choose which laws to follow without scriptural justification, such as someone saying "On [the Sabbath] you shall not do any work" doesn't apply to them.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 10:06pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,751 posts

I got a question for you guys. Where is all of the matter supposed to have come from?

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 10:14pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,751 posts

*just now reads Emp's post*

hristians (although some claim otherwise) are not scriptually required to follow those laws, other than the ones repeated in the New Testament, which often includes the Ten Commandments and a few others. Issues arise when people pick-and-choose which laws to follow without scriptural justification, such as someone saying "On [the Sabbath] you shall not do any work" doesn't apply to them.

It doesn't apply because it doesn't say in the New Testament anything like 'follow the ten commandments', it's that all of the ten commandments but that one are repeated and that's why that one is not followed by most.

Posted Jan 6, '13 at 11:15pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

it's that all of the ten commandments but that one are repeated

That one is repeated as well.

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 12:53am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,751 posts

Seriously? That obviously is merely stating that God rested on that day. It on no way shape or form was a command. It's not like he was even repeating it and saying that it was an old law or that it was still a law since the Christian law hadn't come into effect yet.

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 1:14am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

I take it you didn't scroll down to the part where it says "There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God", meaning the old law stays in effect, but Hebrew 4:9-10 makes more sense in context.

since the Christian law hadn't come into effect yet.

As soon as Jesus died on the cross, the new laws came into effect. Hebrews was written at least 30 years after that.

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 2:26am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

Also, in multiple places, the Ten Commandments are considered seperate from the old Mosaic Law:

When they are given in Exodus, God makes the distinction of which laws He has given and the Mosaic laws. Exodus 20:1 states "And God spoke all these words:" and after that it says the whole 'I am your God who has brought you out of the house of bondage' [paraphrasing] and lists the 10 Commandments, which were reportedly written in stone by His finger. In Exodus 20:22, He specifically tells Moses to give the laws against false gods/idols and the laws for sacrifice, instead of commanding them Himself. In Exodus 20:22 and Leviticus 1:1-2, He does likewise for all the other laws.

In 2 Kings 21:8, God makes an otherwise unnecessary distinction between everything He commanded His people, and all the laws Moses gave.

In Daniel 9:11, Daniel makes an otherwise unnecessary distinction between "your [meaning God's] law" and "the Law of Moses."

The written Mosaic Laws were placed beside the Ark of the Covenant [Deuteronomy 31:24-26] while the stone tablets were placed into it [Exodus 25:16].

Posted Jan 7, '13 at 2:32am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,286 posts

Where is all of the matter supposed to have come from?

We don't wholly know, but we are making progress.

Reply to Theism and Atheism

You must be logged in to post a reply!