Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Theism and Atheism

Posted Feb 1, '13 at 4:46pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Well, since things have slowed down a bit, I'd like to hear an explanation from Christians and others who follow the Abrahamic God for why He kills a baby (context). Unlike most deaths in the bible that God either directly causes or commands against those who are evil/disobedient/blasphemers/sinners, this child was entirely innocent.

I think the same can be said for the first borns in Egypt. They did nothing. They were put to death by God for something someone else was doing.

God is Not Good from "God on Trial"

Posted Feb 1, '13 at 4:55pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I always love how theists simply...assume, that whatever god there may be is one that is benevolent, kind, fair, or whatever. Else. HAVE YOU EVER READ ANY SORT OF THEOLOGICAL TEXT? Almost ALL of them, in nearly EVERY story, are about humans being punished by gods. Most of the time, for petty reasons, or for things gods did to one another.

Actually about half of most American Indian religions have gods that do nothing but teach and create. Example: The Cherokee's god, Maheo

Posted Feb 1, '13 at 5:08pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

I think the same can be said for the first borns in Egypt. They did nothing. They were put to death by God for something someone else was doing.

Some go with "They were unbelievers, worshipping false gods. If they were good, they would've put the lamb's (?) blood on their doors. They had a way to be spared and they chose not to."

Posted Feb 2, '13 at 12:31am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,594 posts

so do tell me, why the hell do people keep talking about christianity. you know, if christianity was a secret religion, if people stopped talking about it and only teach family members about it (or simply not even that and just let it die) then everybody would automatically go to heaven. in a way, the religion just calls out for its destruction with this stupid rule

Funny..I actually had someone I know straight up tell me "They would go to Hell still..since they don't worship Jesus"

I asked how that is fair and the response was "Well that's why it is up to us [Christians] (not me in the 'us') to spread His word"

Posted Feb 2, '13 at 3:59am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Some go with "They were unbelievers, worshipping false gods. If they were good, they would've put the lamb's (?) blood on their doors. They had a way to be spared and they chose not to."

There would have been children unable to put blood on their door, that would still be the parents. Further more this only makes this God more petty for killing someone simply for not believing. At any rate their deaths were done because of what someone else was doing.

Funny..I actually had someone I know straight up tell me "They would go to Hell still..since they don't worship Jesus"

So this person believes billions of people have gone to hell for never having the chance to hear about God?

Posted Feb 2, '13 at 4:13am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

"They would go to Hell still..since they don't worship Jesus"

There are examples of pre-Jesus people being sent to heaven, such as Enoch, who couldn't have known Jesus. Apart from that, most would counter that with Matt 25:31-46 which judges based purely on actions, as Jesus sees doing good things for the disadvantaged as doing good things to him. But, again, this shows the lack of need for spreading the Word.

Posted Feb 2, '13 at 2:51pm

Lanod

Lanod

28 posts

i dont believe in god but i find all your posts fairly touching

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 3:32am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

I realize that this thread, the content in it, and the arguments given have all occurred so many times that what I am about to do is beating the proverbial horse which has already been beaten into Jell-o, but..

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 3:34am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

...and I accidentally submitted to soon.

Anyways,
If you only ever click one link from this thread, click this one.

In the article linked, basically every point is neatly and clearly covered in regards to skepticism. All of our arguments stem from this thought process.

Posted May 18, '13 at 4:21am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Islam had been created when the first human beings came(not apes or primates as you guys think) Hazrat Adam was the first human being and first Prophet or messenger of Allah and Islam wasnt the making of any ordinary human being

How do you know this? Because your holy book tells you so? How do you know it's right? Because it came from God? How do you know it came from God? Because it says it did? How do you know it's right?

This is called circular reasoning, wherein you use the source to prove itself. It is not a valid form of argument. Scripture does not constitute as proof because that is where you claims are coming from.

If you want to prove your religion, you need to find evidence. This could be any number of things. However, it has been proven, among a great many things, that:

1) Humanity could not possibly have come from two people. The genepool would be too small and the incestuous offspring would result in fatal deformities eventually.
2) The earth is older than 6000 years.
3) The vast fossil record shows that organisms change over time.
4) The order in which everything is created in the Old Testament is quite frankly asinine.

Reply to Theism and Atheism

You must be logged in to post a reply!