ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4684 508074
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,684 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

Inductive data is never truly reliable evidence. Deductive data is always 100% reliable evidence.

And where do you get your proof? hypothetical examples?
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

How does a religion form around a text that is not religious?

I'm saying that it's not just a religious text. It's not fiction. It's actual historical events that have happened based on eye witness accounts, and many of them.
Einfach
Einfach
1,456 posts
Peasant

And where do you get your proof?

No - Learn what deductive means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

I said:

God cannot "create" morality. Without God's existence, the universe would still have virtues. For instance, why is it immoral to murder? Surely not because of God?! For murder would be wrong whether God existed or not!

My hypothesis is that the universe would still have virtues without God's existence. This contains that it is immoral to murder.

Thus, theists must believe that if God didn't exist, murder would not be wrong.
Moe
Moe
1,725 posts
Jester

why should I? You have based your logic on a false statement. "False -> D" is true regardless of D's truth. Why do I need to oppose any other pieces of your argument?

From what I know of logic(keep in mind I don't know if there are any special rules here) a False implying a True is False.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

You're basing it off of

If the premises are true
I'm arguing your premises, and if one of them are false, then your entire argument fails
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,775 posts
Shepherd

And who gave us the gift of physics? What creates gravity? Matter had to have been created. And yes, the Judo- Christian God, the God of Abraham, because this is the only true God. If it was any other religion, you'd be a lot more tolerant, but you're not. Jesus said " you will be persecuted and mocked because of me." so thank you for proving Jesus all that much more

Physics are just the rules of how the constants of the universe determine how matter and energy in our universe can manifest themselves. Gravity is most likely just another elementary particles that affects matter. Actually if you were here talking about another religion I would and other would still be here expressing our ideals in a quest of intellectualism, don't make assumption on something you have no clue about. I didn't prove anything either you're using some sudo logic or you have no grasp on how it works.
Einfach
Einfach
1,456 posts
Peasant

Explain the state "true virtues". Who is to determine whether a virtue is "true"? You?

I have stated that God cannot determine virtues. This does not imply that any specific being or whatever determines them. ~(~Religion -> Moral Relativism)

For example, utilitarianism is much more plausible. Happiness is the only thing desire-able, no?
Einfach
Einfach
1,456 posts
Peasant

From what I know of logic(keep in mind I don't know if there are any special rules here) a False implying a True is False.

No vesper's right. (F-->T) is true. You might be thinking of an if-and-only-if statement.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

@ Darkroot You're assuming that your physics is correct, when it really is just a theory. Physics have no complete proof, Christianity has much more proof

vesperbot
vesperbot
959 posts
Peasant

From what I know of logic(keep in mind I don't know if there are any special rules here) a False implying a True is False
No, "A implies B" writetn as "A -> B" is rewritten as "(Not A) or B". "(Not False or anything" is true, as this is reuced to "True or anything". Therefore "False -> True" is true. Also "False -> False" is true.
Einfach
Einfach
1,456 posts
Peasant

@ Darkroot You're assuming that your physics is correct, when it really is just a theory. Physics have no complete proof, Christianity has much more proof

Unbacked assertions...
No, "A implies B" writetn as "A -> B" is rewritten as "(Not A) or B". "(Not False or anything" is true, as this is reuced to "True or anything". Therefore "False -> True" is true. Also "False -> False" is true.

This is because implication only has meaning if the antecedent is true. If the antecedent is false, then nothing is precluded.
Moe
Moe
1,725 posts
Jester

No vesper's right. (F-->T) is true. You might be thinking of an if-and-only-if statement.

I'm guessing there are multiple types of logical reasoning then. Because I just had a couple weeks of lectures on, I think boolean logic, where false implying true is the only time an implies is false.

You're assuming that your physics is correct, when it really is just a theory. Physics have no complete proof, Christianity has much more proof

Physics is not a theory, it is observations. The proof of physics is that it works, well mostly anyways. And I have yet to see any proof for any religion.
Einfach
Einfach
1,456 posts
Peasant

I'm guessing there are multiple types of logical reasoning then. Because I just had a couple weeks of lectures on, I think boolean logic, where false implying true is the only time an implies is false.

You're probably thinking of this <-> in which case it would be false.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,775 posts
Shepherd

Yes I am assuming it is correct since it's testable in the real world and has been peer-reviewed and put under great strain to see if it actually is applicable to the real world. Yes, it is just a theory but I'm guessing you don't know what a theory is in science. A theory is as close science gets to being a fact about our world. But physics is more provable that the bible or Christianity will ever be. That's why science isn't concerning itself with the bible because there is no evidence and nothing is testable or able to be repeated with Christianity.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,156 posts
Shepherd

You all are assuming that Christianity is false, so therefore, all of your arguments are going to be the same. I grew up atheist for 16 years. I know the arguments, I've been there, and you're arguments make no sense. All morals came from one form of religion or another. Philosophy is all opinion. I'm coming at you and saying "look, the bible is based off of eyewitness accounts, and is backed up with other historical documents." if you discount the bible, then you're discounting all of the proof for the argument of Christianity, thus making you prejudiced, thus you are arguing just to try and alter my beliefs. Which you almost did, but I am listening to the CD "The Top 10 Proofs Christianity is the only true religion," which has restored my faith.

Showing 196-210 of 4684