ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1385379
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

One word posts aren't acceptable either - I'd recommend you go check out the forum rules.

I'm sorry. I had actually never read the rules. Although now I just did. Thank you for pointing that out.

I can tell. You left out the "B" on the start of your post, and instead put a "W". You may wish to avoid further mistakes like this.

.... I'm a little confused. But that's okay. =/
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

.... I'm a little confused. But that's okay. =/

Woooo! - W + B = Boooo!
darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

Woooo! - W + B = Boooo!

Oh. I feel really stupid now. I was reading my other three posts.. but not that one. *sigh*
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This video give an interesting read of the flood narrative.
Noah's two Narratives

darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

Why can't all religions be right? As long as your happy, who is to say that you are wrong?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Why can't all religions be right? As long as your happy, who is to say that you are wrong?

Because they have competing ideas that are in opposition to each other.
DawnzHorizon
DawnzHorizon
6 posts
Nomad

"Why do some atheists bash Christians? Why do geese fly in a V-shape pattern? Because they're geese, and that's what they do."

darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

Because they have competing ideas

But don't most of them have some higher deity that they look too??
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Some have multiple deities, some have no deities, the very nature and other characteristics even among the monotheistic religions vary greatly.

Saying they are all correct would be like one person describing a crook as a short fat balding white man, while another describes the same crook as a tall muscular black man with an afro and saying they both are right.
darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

Saying they are all correct would be like one person describing a crook as a short fat balding white man, while another describes the same crook as a tall muscular black man with an afro and saying they both are right.

At least they both say there was a crook.
DawnzHorizon
DawnzHorizon
6 posts
Nomad

Theists cannot prove that god exists, atheists also cannot prove that god does not exist.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

"Why do some atheists bash Christians? Why do geese fly in a V-shape pattern? Because they're geese, and that's what they do."

That makes no sense. Geese use the 'V' shape due to the effects of draft on the birds further back in the formation. By rotating leadership within the 'V' they can fly great distances because it reduces the effort on those further back in formation. In short, they do it because it is effective and advantageous.

Almost all of them do. However they also almost all claim that their deity is the only right one, that their interpretation of what that deity likes/dislikes is the only right one, and anyone that disagrees will be punished. Sadly, theistic religions do not lend themselves to tolerance and approval of differing viewpoints.

Theists cannot prove that god exists, atheists also cannot prove that god does not exist.

True. However in a situation which lacks supporting evidence the only honest statement one can truly make is 'I don't know', which (strangely enough) is the position of almost all atheists, and almost no theists.
darkxrainx
darkxrainx
25 posts
Nomad

Sadly, theistic religions do not lend themselves to tolerance and approval of differing viewpoints.

Who is to say, though, that one person couldn't say that? Maybe whole religions can't, but a single person can. Right?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

At least they both say there was a crook.

So if you are a police man, you are just going to say "Ok. We know there is a crook now, even though one says that he is a demonic ghost and one says that he was a poor alien. They must be both right, so I am calling this case"? You would be fired. If there is a crook, then the witnesses should be able to be at least close in their description of him. If both gave opposing viewpoints, you have no case.

The same way you can not prove or disprove unicorns. You can not prove them because they do not exist, and you can't disprove them because you can't prove a negative.
DawnzHorizon
DawnzHorizon
6 posts
Nomad

You didn't get the point... oh well...

All i Know is that Buddha is right and everyone else is wrong. That is all

Showing 1051-1065 of 4668