ForumsThe Tavern[april fools 2011] Moderator to Admin Hack

24 5383
caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

Ian obviously got into the system late last night. Turns out he was more clever than we'd anticipated, and has some code in the system that upgrades all moderators to administrator access level. I've tried reseting their accounts to moderator, even plain user level, but they pop back to admin level status within minutes of the change.

After countless hours of deciphering the obfuscated codebase. we have found the hack, removed it. and we will be deploying it very soon.

Thanks, James

• 24 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

James, would he try to create multiple accounts or anything like that?

Last time the site was hacked, some moderators got banned.

caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

I banned his ip address, and any other aliases I knew of. but it should be fine, since it was at the code level.

ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

That's awful.
So cormyn is gone for good?
And, are all moderators going to remain as an administrator?

caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

yes and no they will be changed any moment now.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Noooooo! I haven't even had enough time to abuse my administrator powers yet and you SOBs are taking them away?!?!
Dang it James, don't make me angry!

ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

Alright, it's a bit hard to look at green writing only throughout a whole thread.

ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

Well, at least all of them have returned to moderators again with their blue texts.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Noooooo! I haven't even had enough time to abuse my administrator powers yet and you SOBs are taking them away?!?!
Dang it James, don't make me angry!

You shoulda just went ahead and perma'd Strop like I did.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

So Beiber is AG's doing, Mods-to-Admins was cormyns doing?

Rekoil
Rekoil
22 posts
Nomad

that's what the caffeine101 admin guy said

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

YAY! No Darth Voidymort can't kill me!!! =D

ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

So Beiber is AG's doing, Mods-to-Admins was cormyns doing?

Today they took over Armor Games,

Tommorow the WORLD!!! *Dramatic Music*
Pwnt0r
Pwnt0r
2 posts
Nomad

Gj on finding the culprit. Boo @ him.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Ian obviously got into the system late last night. Turns out he was more clever than we'd anticipated, and has some code in the system that upgrades all moderators to administrator access level. I've tried reseting their accounts to moderator, even plain user level, but they pop back to admin level status within minutes of the change.

After countless hours of deciphering the obfuscated codebase. we have found the hack, removed it. and we will be deploying it very soon.

Thanks, James

HMMMM... I am having a hard time believing this,

1. Cormyn is the Admin of the Admin, he is pretty much at the top, why would he do that? You didn't give a reason.

2. This is on April 1st (April fools day) could this be a joke?

Oh yeah, and if it is true, banning his IP address is no good, ISP (internet service providers) dont assign one IP to every computer, every time a new session is started, a new IP is assigned. I would find a different way to ban him (if its true)
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Cormyn is the Admin of the Admin, he is pretty much at the top, why would he do that? You didn't give a reason.

He got fired for exhibiting inappropriate behavior like firing airsoft pellets at John's computer.
Showing 1-15 of 24