ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 95911
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

There are cons in everything, but that doesn't mean to scrap the idea just because of one minor con. They'll have things to counter that, such as the admins reviewing the reputation of users if they are getting a lot of up votes in a short amount of time. It's just something aside from achievements to have. They've mentioned that they might not have a vote down feature for it, but just a vote up feature so people don't abuse the down votes. This will also be useful for game comments because people are likely to vote up good reviews so others see them, and helpful things as well.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Hmmm....so the merit system will be done away with? I think the merits were an integral part of what made AG actually. And face it. What users think are good comments will not necessarily make the standards of mods for merits in AG now. I've seen users scream for merits when all they've written is a single paragraph riddled with errors. Mods are arbitrators to set the standards and not let random people decide and rank up what's a good comment.

ColonyGuardian
ColonyGuardian
10 posts
Nomad

its a good idead and should be implamented

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

What users think are good comments will not necessarily make the standards of mods for merits in AG now. I've seen users scream for merits when all they've written is a single paragraph riddled with errors. Mods are arbitrators to set the standards and not let random people decide and rank up what's a good comment.

It seems to work on many sites that use it, so it should work here. Of course there will be people abusing it, but they have things to counter it. This isn't exactly like merits; it's just so people can vote up comments/posts they like and the person who got their stuff voted up receives positive reputation points.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

yea i think it would work quite well, i mean there are people spamming things now, just because they could do that with this doesnt mean people shouldnt use it, and it wouldnt be pointless, i think many people would use it

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm still sceptical about the rationality of people when voting up comments; it reflects scores rather biasedly when one is popular or has a ton of friends.

xavierwetterhahn
xavierwetterhahn
3 posts
Nomad

So, like if you rate something bad, you get negative points, something like that right? Because it's not worth it trying to earn merits which you will never get.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

I'm still sceptical about the rationality of people when voting up comments; it reflects scores rather biasedly when one is popular or has a ton of friends.

I guess some people could do that, but the majority of readers for that specific comment would be random people that had just decided to play that game or go on that forum
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Yeah, that's one of the downsides of it. Cormyn mentioned pages back that they'll have things to counter this, though; such as if someone is receiving a lot of up votes quickly they'll investigate it to see if they were fair.
So, like if you rate something bad, you get negative points, something like that right? Because it's not worth it trying to earn merits which you will never get.

They won't have the vote down feature at start (remembering this information from when Cormyn mentioned it while he was active in this thread), just the vote up one. I'm not even sure if they'll ever put the vote down one since it could be easily abused by people who dislike you for silly things.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

I think with the moderation thing properly set up so that people can't spam it to either get themselves up heaps or to lower someones reputation a lot, it could really work well and would make armour games just that much better than what it is already

gamer1111111
gamer1111111
204 posts
Farmer

I agree.The mods just have to make sure they keep a careful eye on it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

As it is, at least half of them are slightly inactive or MIA.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I don't want to :<

When we had the upvote and the merit-recommendation account, some users used alts/sockpuppet accounts to try and get merits, not to mention there were actually comments that had been upvoted a lot, but no mod thought it was merit worthy at all, so it was just left hanging, possibly because the people who upvoted it were alts and friends of the commenter.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

When we had the upvote and the merit-recommendation account, some users used alts/sockpuppet accounts to try and get merits, not to mention there were actually comments that had been upvoted a lot, but no mod thought it was merit worthy at all, so it was just left hanging, possibly because the people who upvoted it were alts and friends of the commenter.

Well, won't some of those problems crop up if the Rep System is in place? I mean, that's why we have mods right? To sieve through the good comments, since they're the best standards of arbitrary judging given they have all along given out merits and have been here long enough to know what is good or not.

Giving any random Tom **** or Harry who just joined and know nothing about what a good comment is on AG the right to up a comment and thereby granting points to people will get messy. My prediction is that this is going to end badly.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

such as if someone is receiving a lot of up votes quickly they'll investigate it to see if they were fair.

That'll give the admins/mods a ton of more work to do given that this will probably be a major problem since newer users or users who basically use the walls as live chats with all their friends will most likely compete or egg each other on to get more points.

Cen, do you want more work?
Showing 211-225 of 344