Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Reputation System Suggestion

Posted Apr 9, '11 at 10:22pm

Armpit

Armpit

655 posts

This repuation system could prove to be a very useful prize system in forum contests. If we are not going to have the merit system for game reviews, it doesn't make sense to add them just for contests.

The prize could even get higher as the contest itself gains a higher reputation. It's almost silly to have the most notable contests giving out the same prizes as the newer ones that are still making their way up from the bottom of the contest list.

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 12:45am

Adrokila

Adrokila

134 posts

I think Cormyn mentioned in another thread that there will be some kind of time limit for rating games so people can't spam them.

That could be a problem, since if there was a limit to game rating, there would be no way that others could try to catch up to the users that have the most AP, since their only other option is commenting and forum posting, both of which have a limit to them as well, and forum posting gives half the AP. Limiting the game rating could also lead to comment and forum spam, too.

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 12:51am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

That could be a problem, since if there was a limit to game rating, there would be no way that others could try to catch up to the users that have the most AP, since their only other option is commenting and forum posting, both of which have a limit to them as well, and forum posting gives half the AP. Limiting the game rating could also lead to comment and forum spam, too.

Attaining AP in AGv3 is going to be completely different. And if people spam then they get banned. The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them. Just how there's a time limit when commenting and posting on the forums. It's to prevent spam.

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 3:19am

spjohn

spjohn

10 posts

if people spam then they get banned. The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them... It's to prevent spam.

I think it's quite difficult and time-consumming for mods and admins to determine if a person is spamming or not. Not even say that time-limiting is useless for those who really want and do spam, though I agree that time-limit dose really stop a lot of players from spamming the ratings.

What I think about reputation system is that:
Pros:
1)Reputation is certainly not only a higher or lower rank for a player, but also if a player's experience and recognition are true or not, which other systems such as rating cannot achieve.
2)Human participants give more reasonable "ranks" for a player.
3)Both comments and posts will become more logical. Reducing errors and nonsenses in posts.
Cons:
1)This kind of system is useful only when the participants are known as higher ranks, self-discipline and trustworthy. The latter two are usually hard to be obtained for public websites.
2)This system is not reliable in terms of human behaviors. Reputation is only an estimation.
3)Misleads, mistakes, misunderstands, misjudges etc. lead to unfair results of reputation.
4)reputation may misleads outstanders. (Like when people see a informative post posted from a negative famed stranger, most people think the post is useless before reading through it.)

Reputation system can be very useful when operated correctly in particular circumstance, but can also be destructive if the system is out of control.
The above are only suggestions, please forgive me if there is any mistake.

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 3:26am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

I think it's quite difficult and time-consumming for mods and admins to determine if a person is spamming or not.

They'll see if a person is spamming if they make useless comments on the comment section on games, user profiles and the forums then they'll probably warn the person then if the person keeps it up they'll get banned. I don't think it's difficult. It's a part of what Moderators are supposed to do.

From a Moderators profile page(you'll see this on all their pages):
Moderators are user volunteers who have been selected by Administrators to help maintain the web site. Their duties including removing spam from the forums, locking forum threads, and helping users understand and follow the Terms and Conditions of being a member on the site and posting rules and guidelines for posting messages in the forums, game comments or user comments. Moderators can issue temporary bans from the site for users who do not follow rules, and are in contact with Administrators regarding permanent bans for repeat or major offenses.

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 3:41am

spjohn

spjohn

10 posts

They'll see if a person is spamming if they make useless comments on the comment section on games, user profiles and the forums....It's a part of what Moderators are supposed to do.
From a Moderators profile page(you'll see this on all their pages):
Moderators are user volunteers...

Firstly, I would like to thanks for your useful and detailed information.

Then, I would like to know how do a mod or admin discover players spamming game rating.

The only thing that you are limited on is the time limit for rating a game so that people can't just spam them.(quoted from previous post)

If the coming AG3's reputation system is in such "rating" without any text(text-containing like comments and posts). How to determine if a person spams rating?

Posted Apr 11, '11 at 3:46am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,548 posts

Knight

Then, I would like to know how do a mod or admin discover players spamming game rating.

They just navigate through the game comments and delete the ones they qualify as spam.

If they see someone's profile who has left an unusually large amount of game comments in a short amount of time, they can also hunt for them in game comments.

It's much easier than it looks to look for someone's comment. Just use Ctrl+F and you're there.

Posted Apr 12, '11 at 12:57pm

spjohn

spjohn

10 posts

After a day of pure day-dreaming (actually I was taking an public examination...XD), I came up a idea about this repu. system.

What if the negative reputation could only be given by admins and mods? Public users, even the highest ranked users were not authorized to give negative reputation rating to others. Of course users could still rate a positive repu. in case there was a very informative and contructive post or comment.

Posted Apr 14, '11 at 12:02am

SoymasterYos

SoymasterYos

969 posts

I have one question which relates to me mostly.  Will ban counts affect your reputation?

Posted Apr 14, '11 at 12:06am

master565

master565

3,874 posts

They just navigate through the game comments and delete the ones they qualify as spam.

If they see someone's profile who has left an unusually large amount of game comments in a short amount of time, they can also hunt for them in game comments.

It's much easier than it looks to look for someone's comment. Just use Ctrl+F and you're there.

They might be able to see all comments posted in another sort of feed. They probably don't check every game every day so all the comments posted are probably shown to them all together elsewhere.

Reply to Reputation System Suggestion

You must be logged in to post a reply!