ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 95907
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
FateIsEscaped
FateIsEscaped
19 posts
Peasant

I find the idea of Checkpoints and Decaying interesting ideas.

Here's one more idea for the pile.

One idea I have for a reputation system is simple.

Instead of giving all people on the site some sort of "number" reputation, give everyone a percentile.

Meaning, your percentile among all users on the website.

For example, if you have the most rep on the site, you would be in the top 1% of users for rep. This would show on your profile as 100%!

Why is the percentile idea a good one?

Because, a number, of some sort is very meaningless unless we can relate it to other people. 100% is like scoring in the top 1% of all SAT test takers.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Instead of giving all people on the site some sort of "number" reputation, give everyone a percentile.

Meaning, your percentile among all users on the website.

For example, if you have the most rep on the site, you would be in the top 1% of users for rep. This would show on your profile as 100%!

Why is the percentile idea a good one?

Because, a number, of some sort is very meaningless unless we can relate it to other people. 100% is like scoring in the top 1% of all SAT test takers.

That could work, especially since Reputation shouldn't be thought of as points.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I think users should only be allowed to add reputation. rep should go down only when you got some posts deleted or you get a temp ban, basically only the mods should be able to give negative rep in my opinion. the "vote down" should be only used as a better flag.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Yeah that makes sense to me, but then you're basically turning the reputation system into a ranking system. No two people could hold the 100% spot at the same time, so the system would be bumping users up and down in the higher percents.

Also, the more users in the system, with rep, the less each vote counts for rep.

Rep Percentage Example: If the total amount of rep of all the users in AG is 100 rep and a vote up gives a user 1 rep point then,
1 vote = 1 rep point
1 rep pt / 100 rep pts = 0.01 = 1%
1 vote = 1% increase in rep for a user

Now, if the total amount of rep of all the users in AG is 1000 rep and a vote gives 1 rep point then,
1 vote = 1 rep point
1 rep pt / 1000 rep pts = 0.001 = 0.1%
1 vote = 0.1% increase in rep for a user

So, every time a user gains rep the voting power goes down. With millions of users 1 vote is almost nothing.
FearRiver
FearRiver
13 posts
Farmer

I think a reputation, or karma system, would be a great idea and look forward to it.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

Karma is stupid in relation to rating games since people will either not care or rate everything at 10/10 which would defeat the point.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Will a ban result in a loss of reputation? It probably should.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Wait, wait, wait. I haven't quite found what I was looking for. How will our AP be transferred? As a certain amount of Karma? If it is, will it be to our rank or the amount of AP we currently have?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Wait, wait, wait. I haven't quite found what I was looking for. How will our AP be transferred? As a certain amount of Karma? If it is, will it be to our rank or the amount of AP we currently have?

When AG3 is released, your final AG2 rank will be converted to Legacy AP. For the rest, I suggest reading the sticky on migrating AP.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

What about if somebody constantly votes your stuff up? They could be using alts, or they could be popular.

These are the algorithms I'm looking into. If the same user up-votes EVERYTHING you write, after a while, their vote won't be worth as much as other users.

rep should go down only when you got some posts deleted or you get a temp ban, basically only the mods should be able to give negative rep

Yeah, Reputation will go down if your posts get deleted, although we may only remove Reputation you *gained* from that post in the first place (if your post didn't generate any Reputation, we shouldn't take any way). Moderators will still have the job of warning users of spam/unhelpful/harassing/etc posts, but I'm not sure it's fair to remove Reputation for posts that weren't up-voted by other users in the first place.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

How will our AP be transferred? As a certain amount of Karma? If it is, will it be to our rank or the amount of AP we currently have?

I'll open the sticky thread about points in a few weeks to discuss this more.

your final AG2 rank will be converted to Legacy AP

Uh, I'll have to re-read my own notes. I'm pretty sure I've never said that rank will turn into points.

I did say your rank will probably award you achievements, and that since game-related activities will award points on AG3 that MAYBE we'd transfer AP you got from rating games to AG3's version of AP, but that stuff hasn't been finalized yet.

the more users in the system, with rep, the less each vote counts for rep.

No, the algorithm I'm looking at will only be based on your relationship to the author you're up-voting. If you're not a friend/follower, your vote may be worth more, but votes from friends/followers won't be worth as much.

Considering that we already have over a million active users, your algorithm means every vote would only be worth 0.0001% of some Reputation score.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Uh, I'll have to re-read my own notes. I'm pretty sure I've never said that rank will turn into points.

I vaguely remember you saying that your rank will get you a little bit of transferred points but not much so that everyone will get a chance to get high up.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No, I wouldn't have said that about ranks. We had talked about doing that with forum posts to give you some starting Reputation.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Also, the more users in the system, with rep, the less each vote counts for rep.

I just want to make a quick note, I was referring to a system that gave users a rep percent and not rep points, but I wan't commenting on the actual rep system being that's going to be used. I assume it'll be a system that gives out rep points (and not a rep percent).
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

No, I wouldn't have said that about ranks. We had talked about doing that with forum posts to give you some starting Reputation.

This is what i read.

- AG2 Serf Achievement, 5 New AP pts
- AG2 Squire Achievement, 10 New AP pts
- AG2 Knight Achievement, 20 New AP pts
- AG2 Lord Achievement, 40 New AP pts
- AG2 Duke Achievement, 60 New AP pts
- AG2 Prince Achievement, 80 New AP pts
- AG2 King Achievement, 100 New AP pts

At the time i read that, i thought the New AP and reputation were the same thing.
Showing 46-60 of 344