ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 95912
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I've seen you mention a plethora of times the algorithms you are working on to determine the power of votes between users. I am curious about this: does the simple act of friending someone instantly reduce the effect of your votes, up or down, toward that person? Or does the periodicity of your votes for or against that person solely determine the impact of your votes? Or maybe will it be a combination of the two?

A few suggestions:
To fix the problem of reducing user-to-user vote power, maybe omit user-to-user comments, and make what is now called The Messenger just that - a messenger whose messages don't affect a user's Reputation?
You mentioned a decaying Reputation for inactive users; maybe you could implement a similar feature (but reversed) for vote power between users - ie, I like a number of posts consecutively for a friend, but stop liking that friend's posts for an extended period of time, a period of time over which my voting power towards his or her reputation slowly "recovers".
To dissuade spamming, you could have the system remove x Reputation for posting so many comments in a period of time that are fewer than y words in length.

Sorry if these have already been covered; there's just so much interesting stuff on this forum! Thanks a lot, cormyn!

PZED
PZED
7 posts
Nomad

I definitely dont think that rating a game low should affect your reputation, unless there was a way to tell if you rated all games low. There are some bad games out there, but there are also people (I would guess) who just rate everything low.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

am curious about this: does the simple act of friending someone instantly reduce the effect of your votes, up or down, toward that person? Or does the periodicity of your votes for or against that person solely determine the impact of your votes? Or maybe will it be a combination of the two?

Well, there are some things we can't discuss because we don't want users figuring out how to 'game' the system.

The Messenger just that - a messenger whose messages don't affect a user's Reputation?

Well, you won't gain reputation simply by writing messages. People will have to like and vote for what you write.

You mentioned a decaying Reputation for inactive users

It's only something we're thinking about. We haven't decided to actually implement this yet.

I definitely dont think that rating a game low should affect your reputation

I don't believe we've ever said that game ratings would affect your reputation. Points, maybe, but not reputation. Reputation is community-based.
MindSucker
MindSucker
63 posts
Nomad

A like button under the comments/posts that if is clicked by other players increase your reputation by a minimal amount?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Something like that, yes. And the amount your reputation gets raised will depend on your relationship and history with the user who clicks on the 'like' link.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

And the amount your reputation gets raised will depend on your relationship and history with the user who clicks on the 'like' link.

You mean that the reputation will raise only if we know the persons who click on the "Like" for our comments?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I think cormyn means that if the person is a close friend of yours on the site, then you won't get as much reputation as you would if a random person votes your comment/post up.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Ok, to resume:
friend= not a lot of reputation amount raising
unknown= more reputation earning

Is it that?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I think it'll be something like:
Unknown player = Normal amount of reputation.
Friend = Lesser amount of reputation.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Ok, I've all understood. But it's not sure, so I have to expect maybe another thing.

Cyclonsword
Cyclonsword
3 posts
Nomad

Rating will not be true then. It should be better to buy something with karma points for example...

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Rating will not be true then.

Care to explain?
It should be better to buy something with karma points for example.

This isn't Yoville, yo. I don't see why you'd want to spend points for stuff, I, and many other people would just like it to be there collecting as time goes by.
KawaiiRion
KawaiiRion
202 posts
Nomad

Well, this so called 'rep. system' sounds good, as I've seen the same sort of thing in some other website.

In there, people can give each other reputation points, Good, bad or neutral (I don't remember was the neutral point even an opinion, I think it was a hidden one, as in, you don't want to show your rep.).

People can rate, what did they think about some of your post (ex. User X liked how User Y replied on a debate forum subject A, and gave her a green box/positive reputation point for that. Also, in this other website that I mentioned before, they can comment why did they want to give good or bad points).

But you need a permission from a moderator to rate it bright red (Negative), because otherwise some people might rate each other constantly negative, only because of some silly reasons, ex. Because someone got merit and that some other person got jealous.

So, sounds like a good idea or so?

Oh, and giving merit from game ratings wouldn't be a good idea. The place would be full of merited and greedy people, then.
People, who really put some efford for making a good/well/constructive rating for a game earn it for sure, but maybe we could take out that system here on the Forums/Community, too, but that might take some more time to find actual good posts, then.

Can we do a system (Has to do with this thing, rep. system), that if some person has rated some other persons very low or negative, who haven't been posting sensetive posts, could get some sort of extra point or that sort of thing from every ex. tenth right "alarm", or so?

Of course, greedyness alarm's blinging/prrr-ing again, also, maybe more things to do for the moderators.

Otherwise, I suppose these were my ideas for now.

Oh, could we also decorate our reputation bars? That would be nice, even though not very awarding or so. A few styles would be ok, ex. Normal, heavy-punk/rock (or such, dark), light-style (Ex. yellow stuff, warm colours and so, not confusing the bar, but would have some ex. dots in the bar or so), and so on, etc.

Ahem, and sorry if I came a little late for here to post or something was wrong.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5342/27434156fb6.jpg

Some sort of example I found for it, sorry if the link's not working or so

- Rione

greentrev106
greentrev106
181 posts
Shepherd

I think that spamming users should lose the amount of armor points that they have gained by spamming. The first time they spam they should get a warning, the second time they spam they should temporareally muted so they cannot post comments or post on forums until they are allowed by the administrators to post again. I think that would help spamming problems and keep people from gaining AP by cheating.

KawaiiRion
KawaiiRion
202 posts
Nomad

Ummh, that makes me think a little, should there be a limit for characters, also? I mean, some people like me, who just can't be without writing reviews over ex. 200 characters or so.

They can do spam in a way, too, and too long messages might make some gamers/users a little pissed off, if they want to read something fast.

Showing 91-105 of 344