ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 96248
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

*tear rolls down eye*

Welcome back, cormyn.

And rating has nothing to do with karma and nobody would no what you rated a game.

I heard rating and commenting on games doesn't even get you karma.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I heard rating and commenting on games doesn't even get you karma.

The "karma" is called Reputation, and I think game comments will give Reputation, but not ratings.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

The "karma" is called Reputation, and I think game comments will give Reputation, but not ratings

I don't think game comments should give reputation, unless it is a very productive comment worthy of a merit. An idea I have is that you can thumbs up or thumbs down comments, and if you get a certain amount of thumbs up/down, that can affect your reputation.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

An idea I have is that you can thumbs up or thumbs down comments, and if you get a certain amount of thumbs up/down, that can affect your reputation.

This is what it'll be for comments and forum posts from what I've read.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

This is what it'll be for comments and forum posts from what I've read.

That's awesome. I haven't been very active lately so I'm not that up to date.
taichi22
taichi22
4 posts
Peasant

Hmm.... well, would it be possible to make it so that someone with a high reputation would have a larger effect on someone's reputation? Also, would the reputation system simply add and detract points or would it be a 1-10 kind of thing?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Also, would the reputation system simply add and detract points or would it be a 1-10 kind of thing?

From what information we've gotten in this thread it'll be the former. Basically like the thumbs up and thumbs down feature on YouTube, except this includes points.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

This topic again?

*Once again disapproves*

I seriously think the thumbs up/thumbs down system will lead to some serious trolling.

People will be getting negative rep for having their own opinion, even if it's perfectly respectable and well argued.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I seriously think the thumbs up/thumbs down system will lead to some serious trolling.

People will be getting negative rep for having their own opinion, even if it's perfectly respectable and well argued.

Based on previous discussion, abusive uses of thumbs up/thumbs down will result in a decreased value of those uses. Admins should also be able to disable thumbs up/thumbs down for users that are found to be abusive.
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

Uhho seems like my karma is going to go to all time low record...
People might have grudges against me an thumbs down me all day XD.
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

Imagine the chaos in the WEPR forums.

Admins should also be able to disable thumbs up/thumbs down for users that are found to be abusive.

Still does not get rid of the fact that there will be people going around doing "thumbs down" to people arguing their cause in the forums for expressing their own opinion, I can almost guarantee it (and these people will not go around spamming thumbs down, they will be much smarter than that).
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Based on previous discussion, abusive uses of thumbs up/thumbs down will result in a decreased value of those uses. Admins should also be able to disable thumbs up/thumbs down for users that are found to be abusive

The admins do a brilliant job, as well as mods, but realistically a lot will be missed. I mean, think about all the reports they get about comments on games etc that they can't deal with because there's such an influx.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I see pros and cons with the reputation system, (I apologize if these have been mentioned before):

Pros

An easier way to keep up with your friends activities, what they're playing and what they're saying.

Cons

Everyone dumping their friends from their current profile pages because they don't want to be seen as biased towards their comments simply through association.
I may agree with ibclown when it comes to world affairs, I have ibclown on my friends list but that's the only thing we agree on and that's iffy on all subjects under the genre of world affairs since the only thing we agree on is politics.

disclaimer
I certainly hope there's no user by the name of ibclown because this wasn't my intent and was meant to be a fictional user name.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I think it would be a good thing in whole... but it would have its bad side. I think it would be cool though. Maybe keep AP and do not give AP when you rate a reputation.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Maybe keep AP and do not give AP when you rate a reputation.

There will be Armor Points (AP), but they will be for game achievements, not community involvement.
Showing 286-300 of 344