ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 96230
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
thunderoxys
thunderoxys
6 posts
Nomad

what if someone just rates them low because they want to not because they desurve it

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

what if someone just rates them low because they want to not because they desurve it

If User A continually gives a poor rating to User B, then User A's ratings will not be counted as much for User B. This will stop people from hating on other user's, and will stop friend's from giving high ratings to their friends as well.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If User A continually gives a poor rating to User B, then User A's ratings will not be counted as much for User B. This will stop people from hating on other user's, and will stop friend's from giving high ratings to their friends as well.

They're going to have to implement some sort of notification system for this to actually work. If a user receives a lot of good or poor reputation in a day, they would pop up in the database. I imagine this being a hassle to monitor, but I don't have any other ideas.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

There should be a notification system, as ghost said... Sort of like facebook.... The whole adding thing, just saying that they added you, you can't not accept... Maybe like Instagram on the Ipod/ phone , It says that they mentioned you in a comment... I saw a private chat option while I was beta testing the site... There should just be a chat system like facebook there as well... Saying that they're online, and then you can chat.... But they can go offline!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't see how that has anything to do with the reputation system. Here we are discussing comments and posts receiving +'s and -'s. There is a sticky thread for things regarding a chat system.

Laughable97
Laughable97
125 posts
Nomad

I think it is not a very good idea for the forums. (Just a note, I skimmed through the thread so correct me if I'm wrong)

If it is for a user (Not posts) then it will just be a way for users to anonymously insult someone without having to show their face.

If it is for posts, it could be useful though, possibly a good argument in the WEPR could be given reputation points or maybe a interesting thread or topic in the tavern could get reputation from users that like the thread.

However, if there is a restriction on how many you can give a day (Or even a week) I think the "+" and "-" system will work much better. Or even better, you can only say "+" and "-" each user/post once a day. That way you won't have people bombing the "-" button.

I can see this ending up like youtube, where it all depends on popularity rather than the actual content.

For the comments it would be great though. Someone wrote a merit worthy comment? "+" their comment and a moderator can see them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Steal the rep system from vBulletin. Seriously, it works fine.

I can see this ending up like youtube, where it all depends on popularity rather than the actual content.

People are gonna +rep funny posts and there's nothing you can do about it.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Steal the rep system from vBulletin. Seriously, it works fine.

I love that system, but I'm aware it's hard to program. It results in glitches easily.
Uksu
Uksu
5 posts
Nomad

Armor Games V.3 is awesome!

ThatGuyOnBroadway
ThatGuyOnBroadway
28 posts
Nomad

Let's do it like Xbox LIVE! that system is simple and effective (I guess the meaning could be certain benefits in certain games :P). You can get rep based on reviews by other players.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

You can get rep based on reviews by other players.

Reviews seem unnecessary. I don't think there would be people spending their time reading them. A simple up/down vote system should suffice.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

You can get rep based on reviews by other players.

^ Not to mention this is too big for the likes of forum posts. Writing a review instead of just "Up"-ing a post is way too much effort.
sackorice
sackorice
4 posts
Nomad

I love reputation systems on forums. It's something I personally try to achieve a high rating on.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I love reputation systems on forums. It's something I personally try to achieve a high rating on.

Well the benefits here is [not implying you are, but as we can so many users are] AP junkies might strive towards getting a good rep, thus putting thought into their posts and not spamming or coming up with very questionable arguments.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

Well the benefits here is [not implying you are, but as we can so many users are] AP junkies might strive towards getting a good rep, thus putting thought into their posts and not spamming or coming up with very questionable arguments.

reputation systems will hopefully have some sort of spam blocking system included to it (i'd highly recomend mods to do that). it seems that your reputation will be based off of your forum activity, and many people spam forums with 1 sentence posts (that i hate). jeffery, agreed.

--judgment
Showing 301-315 of 344