ForumsThe TavernGeneral Relationship Thread

2106 483804
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I've noticed the increase in threads being made about problems with relationships and dating. Now, I have no problem with the subject matter. No, my problem is with the amount of threads people are creating about it.

Judging by all these threads being made about the same thing, it's safe to say it's inevitable for these questions to be asked; and since the answers to these relationship/dating questions are generally very similar, putting all the questions in one thread saves time and posting.

No, this is not a thread where you specifically ask me for advice; I don't know very much about this subject. I'm simply the guy who has created the thread so you can post your questions for anybody to answer.

So if you have a question about dating or relationships, or anything along those lines, ask it here, wait for someone to reply here, and don't make a new thread about it!

• 2,106 Replies
darkblueoc
darkblueoc
31 posts
Nomad

I am almost positive that this has ben said before, but because i am to lazy to read all 198 pages, I will post this.

My friend, who I've know for almost 4 years, has not hidden her affections for me, yet she is in a relationship. The guy she is in a relationship with has not hidden is...apprehension...of me either. She is very confused, and doesn't know what to do. She wants to be with me, but she says she loves her boyfriend. I don't want to force her to choose, because that's not fair to anybody... any suggestions?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

any suggestions?

How do you feel about her?

You honestly cannot do much. I would advise not leading her on seeing how she likes you. Just try not to sabotage the relationship in anyway. At some point she will make a choice and then it will all be sorted out.
darkblueoc
darkblueoc
31 posts
Nomad

I am almost positive that this has ben said before, but because i am to lazy to read all 198 pages

I'm sorry, ben was ment to be been, and to is too. I was typing to fast and didn't read over it. My mistake.
darkblueoc
darkblueoc
31 posts
Nomad

I was typing to fast

And I do it again...
Raynethx
Raynethx
50 posts
Nomad

Here's a tip lets say your an artist if you really like that secretly draw a picture of her don't show it to her during lesson or classes she won't notice or realise your drawing her when she's distracted that is if she comes over to you you have no choice but to hide i suppose that's kinda what a stalker would do though but theres nothing wrong with being a secret admirer but then one day she'll find the picture you drew of her post it in a letter pacel envelope put it in her locker or something but don't leave a name she won't know who put it there

darkpurplefox1921
darkpurplefox1921
7 posts
Nomad

Ok, I have i problem very much like blue's but i decided to cut contact for the summer since it was hurting her so much...think i did the smart thing?

Raynethx
Raynethx
50 posts
Nomad

if it'll give her some space that is deppends

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Ok, I have i problem very much like blue's but i decided to cut contact for the summer since it was hurting her so much...think i did the smart thing

How exactly does you talking to her hurt her? that's pretty bad for a relationship.
Dropping contact is bad in general. People change. If you don't make efforts to contact her, you will be forgotten. This is generally how it works, but I don't know about this one. You need to answer my first question, then we can help.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I thought this was something to do with long distance.

There's a point in a relationship (i.e. before a commitment is solidified), that trying to build or maintain something long distance is more difficult than it is actually worth. To bring personal experience into it, I'm currently living interstate from my partner. This is because of work: I have to do this placement for 3 months. However, we have a little bit of flexibility in our travel arrangements so we make sure to see each other on average once a week/two weeks. For one thing, this is something we've been used to for 3 months prior to my moving, and for another, we're both busy people and have to ration our time, so we're used to not seeing each other more than once or twice a week already, and that's part of our expectation.

Contrast this to one of my best friends, who started a relationship with a colleague. However, said colleague has physician exams coming up, and they're all-consumingly difficult. Naturally he has been all-consumed by them, and so is very stressed and essentially has zero availability. This all started happening maybe four weeks after they started getting to know each other. Naturally, my friend, who is a self-professed over-thinker, has already contemplated on several occasions giving up on it, because she doesn't have much to go on, and doesn't know if she's prepared to live that kind of life, given that since both of them are doctors and she's due to go interstate the day after he finishes his exams, they aren't going to be seeing each other regularly for quite a long time.

Those are the kinds of considerations I assumed were going on here.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Speaking of long distance, remember back innnnn November or so where I blabbed in here about things?

Okay so things went pretty great when I visited her around January/February. She'll be visiting me in about five weeks, plane tickets acquired yesterday. Although she can't stay here as long as I could stay there, what with her work, this is still most excellent. Text chat and skype shenanigans only go so far, so getting some real hugs in again will be amazing.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I remember you popping by Zoph but I cannot remember what you said at all.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Speaking of long distance, remember back innnnn November or so where I blabbed in here about things?

I do! =D

And sounds like everything is going well for you.
Nothing to do here.
Youassassin
Youassassin
296 posts
Baron

I married my wife last year and 2 months ago. We had a long distance relationship the entire time before that. 5 years of dating. Shortest distance 2.5 hrs by car, Longest distance was 3.5 hrs by plane

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Fixed your double-post, Youassassin. :P Hurray for your relationship working out despite the difficulties, though.

Also actually envying the 3.5 hours. She's in South Carolina, I'm in Denmark; getting less than 15 hours planned travel time is difficult, and then there's delays (and redirects because of delays - took me forever to get back home since a delay made me miss my connecting flight :x ).

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Wow Youassassin O.o And the relationship is in fine order? Congrats!

Showing 1936-1950 of 2106