Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General Relationship Thread

Posted Mar 11, '13 at 9:55pm

daleks

daleks

3,315 posts

Don't really think so: I'm too Asian for white girls, and I'm too white for Asian girls :P

Well if they were smart they would be falling for you. You seem too perfect. So no mention of black girls? Racist. Jk. But too Asian for white girls and too white for Asian girls. That does not make sense. It should be personality. But I might know what you are saying.

Waah. You have to have your **** together before you go into a relationship? Say it isn't so! That seems like common sense. I think I am just getting myself together. Need to get over being lazy (Dalek lazy standards).

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 7:35pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

This is going to be such a bro post. It's also going to contain a lot of racial generalisations that you will hopefully see are not actually racist.

A whole group of people that were like "Hey, what's up?" but as soon as someone else came in, I was discarded

Dude, I feel that. This defined my years 5 and 6, along with such choice lines like "do you know how much you suck?" "we consider you to be a lower class of human" and making family trees that involved the entire class except me.

Even better, give her your Strip account.

Dude NO LOL. She is a real person and a separate entity, as opposed to the fictional manifestation of a concept!

So no mention of black girls? Racist

Dude I live in Australia. There are few Africans, and honestly most of them are refugees who haven't yet learnt English! (If you're talking "dark" and not just black, I have to say many of the Indian girls are smoking hot, but their cultural systems generally disallow them from interracial relations anyway.)

But too Asian for white girls and too white for Asian girls. That does not make sense. It should be personality

Dude that's kind of the point, that is to say, it's about how your cultural background affects your values and how you relate to people. Those from one cultural background being brought up in a country which has an entirely different culture have a pretty hard time figuring out their cultural identity. I can't speak any Asian languages (for shame) etc. but I look Asian so the only whites that would even notice I exist are eggs (yellow on the inside lol). So I generally get judged both ways, however somebody who is the same would be able to see past that.

You have to have your **** together before you go into a relationship? Say it isn't so!

Dude it isn't so :P

Well rather one school of thought is that having relationships while you are still developing is part and parcel of the formative process where you generally make mistakes and break each others' hearts. There's a lot of liability (much of which can cause lasting damage) but nothing ventured nothing gained. My upbringing was severely biased towards risk minimisation and thus it was socially conserative, and strongly discouraged dating in high school. I used to have a problem with this because I felt like I was missing out on something, but there are some benefits to making less mistakes and being more resilient and assured first (not saying this works for everybody).

The other advantage of having your **** together is that you have a disposable income and can manage your time. This means you can afford pricey book presents, horse riding lessons, walks on the beach followed by dinner at a fancy beachside restaurant which you shout because it's her birthday, and the gas bill for all of the above, and a couple of other things besides ;_; Now I have to study way hard or I'm going to get murdered in study group and nephrology journal club.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 7:55pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,091 posts

This defined my years 5 and 6, along with such choice lines like "do you know how much you suck?" "we consider you to be a lower class of human" and making family trees that involved the entire class except me

Okay, I didn't have that happen, but which is worse? Being specifically humiliated, or being ignored when you don't want to be? Serious question. I'm not really sure.

Dude NO LOL. She is a real person and a separate entity, as opposed to the fictional manifestation of a concept!

So give the real person/seperate entity an Armor Games account already! Geez man. You need to take care of these important things first. Hah. By the way, where the heck is MrDayCee? The "Ninja Armatar" deadline is over but the new Armatars aren't available yet. Blaaah.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 8:32pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Being specifically humiliated, or being ignored when you don't want to be?

They're bad for different reasons, but my experience was a seesaw between both. Like the only time they had anything to do with me was when they wanted to pick on somebody LOL. Not even a "hi how are you today", more like "oh it's that weird annoying nerd guy, maybe I'll throw a couple of insults/physically harrass him when I feel like it".

Anyway, not a pissing contest and I think safe to say we've moved on from that era. LIKE A BOSS.

So give the real person/seperate entity an Armor Games account already

She will sign up for one if and when she wants to, and it's not my place to dictate or demand otherwise :P I'm well trained dude. And she's feisty.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 9:48pm

daleks

daleks

3,315 posts

Dude I live in Australia. There are few Africans, and honestly most of them are refugees who haven't yet learnt English! (If you're talking "dark" and not just black, I have to say many of the Indian girls are smoking hot, but their cultural systems generally disallow them from interracial relations anyway.)

I was kidding man! Of course I know there are not many black people there and I know you are not racist!

Lol. I have an Indian friend who is dating a white girl. Needless to say his parents do not know.

Dude that's kind of the point, that is to say, it's about how your cultural background affects your values and how you relate to people. Those from one cultural background being brought up in a country which has an entirely different culture have a pretty hard time figuring out their cultural identity. I can't speak any Asian languages (for shame) etc. but I look Asian so the only whites that would even notice I exist are eggs (yellow on the inside lol). So I generally get judged both ways, however somebody who is the same would be able to see past that.

Most of my friends are Asian... but that is what I knew you would say.

Dude it isn't so :P

Well in my mind (a place were if people went they would go insane and throw me in jail or give me the death penalty) you need to have at least some of your things together. High school dating OK. Later in high school is better to me though. You know who you are more and stuff. That is just me.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 11:17pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,091 posts

High school dating OK. Later in high school is better to me though. You know who you are more and stuff. That is just me.

Eh it really depends on what you plan to do with your life. If you're going to different universities after college, it may not be a good idea to date. I've found that people generally find their life partner in college, when they are getting a job and a house and a life and are ready. It's better to have both feet on the ground. Besides, high school romance is 1. EXTREMELY dramatic and 2. misleading because one of the two is lying or cheating. A majority of the people that date in high school learn a very unfortunate lesson about life.

Lesson: Guys fall in love with what they see, girls fall in love with what they hear. Guys will say anything to get what they see, and girls will do anything to get what they hear.

Posted Mar 12, '13 at 11:18pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

I have an Indian friend who is dating a white girl.

Ever seen Bend it Like Beckham? Quite a good representation of what that's like. I also have colleagues in similar situations... one is Muslim and going out with a Hindu. She planned to tell her parents she was a lesbian just to shock them horribly, then say "well actually no I'm not but I am dating a non-Muslim" LOL.

Posted Mar 13, '13 at 5:15pm

daleks

daleks

3,315 posts

Besides, high school romance is 1. EXTREMELY dramatic and 2. misleading because one of the two is lying or cheating.

Nice generalizations there. My teacher has a son that dated in high school and married that girl. They are happy with a few kids now.

Ever seen Bend it Like Beckham?

No. I haven't.

She planned to tell her parents she was a lesbian just to shock them horribly, then say "well actually no I'm not but I am dating a non-Muslim" LOL.

Haha. I don't think that she would make it out alive. They would lock her in the house or something.

Posted Mar 13, '13 at 5:56pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Nice generalizations there. My teacher has a son that dated in high school and married that girl. They are happy with a few kids now.

The highschool/college sweetheart story used to be more of the norm. Now it's rare and usually falls apart (for a good example though refer to John and Carlie). I suspect it's something to do with cultural shifts that change the way we see and focus on ourselves. Both my gf and I know for a fact that we actually might have known each other from as early as 2005 (based on the same circumstances that led her to knowing one of my best friends since then), but that it was better that we hadn't because we probably would not have been able to stand each other then!

Haha. I don't think that she would make it out alive

Chillingly, if you live in parts of South East Asia, or in the Middle East, chances are that this statement would be literally true. On occasion the cultural traditions of "honour killing" (where the family of an eloper arranges for their death by murder in order to preserve the family's honour) follows said eloper to countries where all kinds of murder are actually illegal.

Posted Mar 13, '13 at 8:44pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

5,091 posts

but that it was better that we hadn't because we probably would not have been able to stand each other then!

I love that line. I've heard it from several girls, whom, if I had met in high school, would have avoided entirely.

Reply to General Relationship Thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!