Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General Relationship Thread

Posted Feb 25, '14 at 2:52am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,231 posts

A school play? That can be..interesting.

If you do movie, do food before. A nice restaurant, too. The food allows you two to talk and get to know one another..form a connection, etc etc. The dinner can give an idea on how comfortable you feel with the person, etc etc

Posted Feb 26, '14 at 4:43pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

852 posts

Anybody have advice for a movie date? Not really a movie but a school play, but I imagine it's basically the same.

Is this a first date or have you already gone out with this person?

Posted Apr 9, '14 at 6:31pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,993 posts

There have been no posts here since February. I would like to pose a question to the people who actually read this thread, as I would actually like to know what AG users think about this subject.

What is everyone's stance on relationships that begin online?

Posted Apr 9, '14 at 11:20pm

Zophia

Zophia

8,407 posts

Hard to take out of the virtual world (especially if long distance), but so totally worth it if you manage to find the right person. Plus, potential bonus in knowing you have an activity to share that you both enjoy (if you meet over a game or a hobby focused forum).
'Course I might be biased by my personal experience.

If you do movie, do food before.

Late note at this, but the dinner and a movie thing... I'd say go for the movie first unless you already know each other. That way you can talk about the movie while eating if you don't have anything else to talk about.

Posted Apr 9, '14 at 11:38pm

daleks

daleks

3,180 posts

I don't really see a problem with it. You of course will have to meet at some point in the real world, which could be awkward the first few times, but if it seems like the right person it would be worth it. Of course most likely you met the person online because they live far away. Personally, if you could have the relationship start in person it would be better, but online can work, it would just be harder.

Posted Apr 10, '14 at 12:18am

SSTG

SSTG

10,756 posts

Knight

I don't really see a problem with it. You of course will have to meet at some point in the real world, which could be awkward the first few times, but if it seems like the right person it would be worth it. Of course most likely you met the person online because they live far away. Personally, if you could have the relationship start in person it would be better, but online can work, it would just be harder.

I met my wife on the Internet.  We were online every nights for 8 months. We saw each other twice during that time. We spent a few days in person at Christmas time and Easter.

We got married during Summer and we've been together since.
Even though she's my wife, I still call her my GF. :)

Posted Apr 10, '14 at 1:55am

CherryCoke360

CherryCoke360

415 posts

As long as they are the person you think they are and not some random dude putting fake pictures up man I think you are good to go.

Posted Apr 10, '14 at 2:40am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,527 posts

Knight

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of online relationships. I've never had much of an opinion on them to begin with, as I'm rather old-fashioned, and I prefer to talk to someone (or rather, if you live my life, not talk to someone) for the first time in person, but if you want to go about things in a more 21st-century fashion, starting a relationship over the internet isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As long as they are the person you think they are and not some random dude putting fake pictures up man I think you are good to go.

This can be one of the biggest obstacles when it comes to the world of online dating. You must never meet anyone you meet online in person until you can verify they're the person they claim to be. This is where the horror stories come from.

The best way to verify that a person is at least a real person is to have some time of live conversation with them, face-to-face works best. At least you'll know what they really look like, how they really talk, etc, and most importantly, that they aren't someone posing as someone else trying to reel you in with ulterior motives. If they are trying to reel you in with ulterior motives, at least they're honest about their appearance.

Posted Apr 10, '14 at 3:38pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

852 posts

I've never understood them personally since I can't imagine getting attached to someone without knowing them first, but they work out well for some people. It depends on what it is that generally attracts you most to other people. If you want your personality to be displayed without people judging you completely on what you look like first, online dating might be your method of choice. This could work in your favor or it could backfire on you, depending on what your personality is really like or what the other person really looks like.

Posted Apr 23, '14 at 3:29pm

countrygirl_5094

countrygirl_5094

8 posts

it depends on the person mainly

Reply to General Relationship Thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!