ForumsWEPRThe Jesus Papers

5 2706
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

The Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent (One of the co-authors to Holy Blood + Holy Grail...where Dan Brown got all his "ORIGINAL IDEAS".)

Anyway, I wanted to bring this up here to see if anyone else has read/heard of this book. It is based on the last 10 years of his research (meaning it is very new). I'm only a few chapters in, but he claims that there is indisputable evidence that Jesus was alive in 45 A.D., was a Zealot, and the crucifixion was more than likely staged. It really is remarkable to read about what the Romans, Zealots (like freedom fighters), Jews and later the Catholic Church do in regards to all of this.

There was a time when the Catholic church let a bunch of scholars into their vaults to do research and they came out disputing the church. The Church banned them all and exiled them. I don't have a real point, except to just see if anyone has read this. I know this doesn't EXACTLY belong here, but you understand that I want intelligent posts.

• 5 Replies
Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

This Michael Baigent sure knows how to make money fast. He uses scandals to write his books, adn thus they are bought in mass by innocent and candid people who don't understand it's a bunch of junk and lies...
*feels relieved after this sally*

that's sincerely what I believe. I read some extracts from his books and ...it seems ridiculous to me (but that's only my personal advice)

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

all books that i tend to read, including the bible seem "iffy" to me. It isn't relevant in my life for me to make mind boggling choices over what i construe in the text of simply ink on a page.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I'm with Arax on this one. Whether it be the Canonical Gospels, the Dead Sea Scrolls, or these Jesus Papers they were all written at the same time and all have a level of truth and fiction. We will NEVER know. What bothers me is how people will pick one and call it concrete.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

From what I've heard, Baigent's research methods are also rather "iffy." There are many historians and authors that look for evidence to their hypotheses while ignoring a plethora of evidence to the contrary.
Recently, I was watching a History Channel documentary about a historian who was convinced that the Chinese landed on the West Coast of America well before Columbus. He uses a divining rod to locate pieces of wood from supposed Chinese vessels. Yes, a divining rod.
He did, indeed, find some wood - but there's no telling where it came from, and there's not enough of it for carbon dating. He seems to be unphased by how preposterous this theory is, since the currents and winds would never, ever have made it possible for the Chinese to reach land here.
Personally, I don't care whether or not the Jesus from the Bible existed or not. His existence has no affect on my beliefs whatsoever. It seems clear to me, however, that the entire Jesus narrative was more or less made up after the fact.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I am a christian but i still believe that his resources aren't very reliable. I still believe in Jesus i just don't believe in this particular artist

Showing 1-5 of 5