ForumsThe Tavern

Prases to be Removed...

Thread Locked

Posted May 7, '08 at 6:19pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

Basically, I was thinking of phrases that should be taken out of the commonplace of vocabulary... And I would like to see what other people think, too! Make sure you include a reason that these should be removed. I will leave you with some good ones.

"No offense, but..." OK, this automatically puts people on the defensive, looking for something to get offended by. Also, I have never seen this used properly, since usually it is followed by something opinionated, rather than fact or something that would not offend.

"It's not you, its me" It is *never* 'me', it is *always* 'you', haha. This is too cliche anyway, and needs to be taken from the annals of vocabulary forever. I don't think anyone takes this seriously, anyway.

Have fun! And feel free to be silly, if you have something to back it up.

Posted May 7, '08 at 6:23pm

oscynk

oscynk

730 posts

LOL it is never 'me'
well..............
"Just get back on the horse"
there is never a horse and just makes you sound like a cowboy LOL.

Posted May 7, '08 at 7:01pm

sithman05

sithman05

64 posts

"It's as easy as taking candy from a baby"
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO TAKE CANDY FROM A BABY!!!!! I tried once to see what would happen... that kid YELLED so loud every one in Wal-mart turned to see what happened. The worst part is I wasn't even IN Wal-mart

Posted May 7, '08 at 7:09pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

*gigglegiggle* @ Sith! That's what you get, tsk tsk.

"Cute as a button" I have never found a button cute, nor attractive. I think I would probably be locked up if I did. I did some mediocre research and found that it *may* have been derived from the "button quail" which is small, grey, fluffy, and cute. Still, it seems a little sketchy. I would rather just be cute as a puppy, or something...

Posted May 7, '08 at 7:13pm

sithman05

sithman05

64 posts

"It's as easy as falling of a log"
Sure it might be easy but usually when you do it there is A LOT of pain. I would know.....

Posted May 7, '08 at 7:13pm

StraightJaketMan

StraightJaketMan

407 posts

"Right As Rain"

what a load of bunk that is. I once took a IQ test, and compared it to rain's adverage height for the year of 2004 in London. It was so wrong.

Posted May 7, '08 at 10:12pm

DragonMistress

DragonMistress

1,113 posts

Knight

"Smart as a whip"

OK, so I understand where this originates from, but I would tend to say that when most people use it, they mean 'intelligent' smart and not 'painful' smart....  Though I don't mind being likened to a whip.

Posted May 7, '08 at 10:37pm

Nerdius

Nerdius

375 posts

"Smart as Nerdius"
I am not smart... I don't get this.
Sorry, just kidding
"So funny,I died"
OK, then why are you talking to me???

Posted May 7, '08 at 11:04pm

Salmanius

Salmanius

296 posts

"Its raining cats and dogs."
If that was true it would be very bloody because of the dogs, but the cats would survive.

Posted May 8, '08 at 12:23am

Youassassin

Youassassin

141 posts

"I'm sorry but..."
its not that it is a bad phrase but
people you dont know use it
its almost like
"i clean my hands of this mess" or
"i didn't do it"
it just seems rude when used wrong