ForumsThe TavernPrases to be Removed...

11 3348
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

Basically, I was thinking of phrases that should be taken out of the commonplace of vocabulary... And I would like to see what other people think, too! Make sure you include a reason that these should be removed. I will leave you with some good ones.

"No offense, but..." OK, this automatically puts people on the defensive, looking for something to get offended by. Also, I have never seen this used properly, since usually it is followed by something opinionated, rather than fact or something that would not offend.

"It's not you, its me" It is *never* 'me', it is *always* 'you', haha. This is too cliche anyway, and needs to be taken from the annals of vocabulary forever. I don't think anyone takes this seriously, anyway.

Have fun! And feel free to be silly, if you have something to back it up.

• 11 Replies
sithman05
sithman05
59 posts
Shepherd

"It's as easy as taking candy from a baby"
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO TAKE CANDY FROM A BABY!!!!! I tried once to see what would happen... that kid YELLED so loud every one in Wal-mart turned to see what happened. The worst part is I wasn't even IN Wal-mart

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

*gigglegiggle* @ Sith! That's what you get, tsk tsk.

"Cute as a button" I have never found a button cute, nor attractive. I think I would probably be locked up if I did. I did some mediocre research and found that it *may* have been derived from the "button quail" which is small, grey, fluffy, and cute. Still, it seems a little sketchy. I would rather just be cute as a puppy, or something...

sithman05
sithman05
59 posts
Shepherd

"It's as easy as falling of a log"
Sure it might be easy but usually when you do it there is A LOT of pain. I would know.....

StraightJaketMan
StraightJaketMan
619 posts
Nomad

"Right As Rain"

what a load of bunk that is. I once took a IQ test, and compared it to rain's adverage height for the year of 2004 in London. It was so wrong.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

"Smart as a whip"

OK, so I understand where this originates from, but I would tend to say that when most people use it, they mean 'intelligent' smart and not 'ainful' smart.... Though I don't mind being likened to a whip.

Nerdius
Nerdius
421 posts
Nomad

"Smart as Nerdius"
I am not smart... I don't get this.
Sorry, just kidding
"So funny,I died"
OK, then why are you talking to me???

Salmanius
Salmanius
277 posts
Peasant

"Its raining cats and dogs."
If that was true it would be very bloody because of the dogs, but the cats would survive.

Youassassin
Youassassin
296 posts
Baron

"I'm sorry but..."
its not that it is a bad phrase but
people you dont know use it
its almost like
"i clean my hands of this mess" or
"i didn't do it"
it just seems rude when used wrong

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

^ Yes, I agree. You can't follow "I'm sorry" with a negator unless you probably don't mean it. "I'm sorry, but it's *your* fault the dog set fire"

"Get with the program"
Sorry, I'd rather not get with the program. Has my life been programmed? Am *I* a program? OH MY GAWD IM A ROBOT!

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Take a dump.

Umm... are you taking the one I left earlier?

sithman05
sithman05
59 posts
Shepherd

"Look what I can do!"
Down here in Alabama you will find that on A LOT of tombstones. My theory is if you remove the phrase less people will try to show off "what they can do"....

Showing 1-11 of 11