Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Jeol: The Resuscitation

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 10:04am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Mneh, that was a bland week. I have been sick with a cold for the past two days, which unfortunately for me means a slight sinus infection and fever  and headache and whatnot. At the moment, I only have a sore throat, so it's almost gone. I hope to be a little more active in the next week, and in that case, write more poetry or whatever I happen to feel like at that point.

Not to mention the contests are waiting to be judged, so I should be writing for those soon...

Posted Nov 10, '11 at 8:59am

daleks

daleks

3,256 posts

Okay, I pallete'd a photo of me (the latest one I posted in the 'Faces of AG thread' thread). Since you have to see it closer to notice it, I figure'd I would just link it. You'll probably have to zoom to see it close-up.

Like Mav said the snow does look a bit jagged. Unlike him though I like the colors but the sky is a little bit to bright for me.

Posted Nov 10, '11 at 11:44am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Like Mav said the snow does look a bit jagged. Unlike him though I like the colors but the sky is a little bit to bright for me.

Yeah, the palette knife kind of messed the picture up. It doesn't work with pictures that have great detail and contrast.

Posted Nov 18, '11 at 3:24pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Gosh, still almost no poetry has been written D: I've been crunch-writing for the NaNoWriMo, though... I didn't know I could have so much fun writing. This has definitely been the highlight of my week.

What I've written so far:

Installation 1 of 25:

That morning was a dreadfully wonderful morning - the rising sun briskly started once again on it's journey across the northern sky. The atmosphere greeted the sun with bountiful selections of color - all sort of purple and red and orange and yellow and blue.
This great air was widely ignored by Jill. She wasn't at all worried much at all about color and the sun rising every day of the year. She assumed that every morning the sun should rise in the east and set in the west - a worthy assumption, to say the least. But the fact that the sun might not rise in the east in the morning is not a subject particularly popular among people. In fact, almost everyone you talk to will tell you that if the world does not end by tomorrow, the sun will not rise in the east. They could always rely on science telling them that the world will keep spinning and the sun keep blazing, and all this with no harm to humanity. Science is a big assumer - it does not take into account the probability of the sun suddenly becoming sick and deciding to take the day off. That, of course, is another matter. "The sun doesn't get sick," so they may ridicule. "Even the thought of the sun becoming sick is completely ridiculous." That is quite alright, for science has been proven worthy of being right, most often; many times it is spot on, because science explains everything as it is. Well, almost everything. It doesn't exactly explain why the sun would get sick. But that is another matter.
Jill took a sip of her coffee. One sugar, two milks - that is the right mixture (in her eyes) without being very strong or like candy. The sudden jump of thought to coffee amused her. Why her mind might suddenly start about the perfect mixture of milks and sugars and why was quite beyond her. She returned to her book, continuing on in her light reading over her breakfast and morning coffee.
"Jill!" A shout emancipated from inside the house. Jill, hearing the shout, turned around and called back inside, "Yes, what is it?"
A tall yet slender man approached from inside the house. "Phone call."
"Thanks, Joe." Jill took the phone and spoke into the receiver. "Hello? Who is it?"
A deep gravelly voice answered on the other side. "Hey, I'm looking for some chums."
"Say what?"
"You know, chums. I want to get some sort of a party together."
"Uh, sure, but -"
"No problem. Be there at 8."
"Okay, but -"
"You're wondering where?"
"Um, yes, precisely."
"Corner of East and Main. Bye."
"Wait si- *click*" Jill sighed. She walked back inside to put the phone back onto it's perch. "That was possibly the weirdest call I have ever had."
"Who was it?"
"Some guy with a gravelly voice asking if I wanted to go to a party."
"Oh. So... Are you going to go?"
"Of course! Who wouldn't skip out on a party?"
"Wait, seriously? ... Am I invited?"
"Uh, no, I didn't hear your name mentioned. Sorry."
"Bummer."
"Well hey, I have to run for a dentist appointment. I'll probably go shopping afterwards."
"You're going to run to the dentist's office in your jeans?" Joe asked surprisingly. Jill glared at him. "I'll see you later. Don't forget to pick up some coffee. We're almost out."
"Of course I will. What makes you think I won't?" She teased.
"Coffee addict." Joe joked. "Well hey, have fun at the dentist appointment. I can vouch for many people in saying that going to the dentist is, indeed, fun."
Jill glanced at the clock. "Oh dear, I should really be going. I'll see you later."
"And the cookies."
"Bye."
"Bye."
Jill grabbed the keys off of the shelf next to the door to the garage and ran out, tripping over the door frame as she passed. "I told you that you should have worn something more fit for running." Jill sighed and closed the door on her way out.

---

Jill stopped at the bakery isle of the grocery store, Eat Rite Shop, in search of cookies. Joe's favorite kind of cookie was oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, so she searched the isle specifically for such cookies. Chocolate chip, sugar, snickerdoodle, oatmeal, bran - almost anything you could think of was lined up on the shelf. Everything, that is, except for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
Looking for someone who worked at the store, Jill walked around the store. Finally, she came across someone she thought could help. She prompted him, "Umm, sir, do you happen to have any oatmeal chocolate chip cookies at this store? I've found almost all other kinds of cookies - even bran, nobody likes bran - and without luck, my search was not completed. Do you happen to stock them?"
The grocery clerk answered in his gravelly voice, "Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? Are you crazy? Nobody likes... Whatever horrible mess that might be. And what do you have against Bran? It's the most popular cookie in the store."
"What are you talking about? I've come here for years and every single day you've stocked Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. What do you mean you've never had them here?"
"I meant exactly what I heard. Now scram, I've got work to do."
"Work?" She looked up and down the empty isles. "It hardly seems like there's any work to be done, unless it happens to be stocking Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Fine, I'll go." She walked to the front counter to pay for the coffee in her hand, and after paying for it, proceeded to walk out the door. "And nobody likes bran."

---

Jill walked in the door. "Weirdest thing - the store didn't have any Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies."
"What? They've always had them stocked."
"Yeah, that's what I said. They had lots of Bran cookies, though. The clerk kept saying that Bran cookies were quite popular. Nobody likes bran, though."
"Hah, I can vouch for that. And so many weird things have been happening it seems. The phone call, the cookies... What's up, do you think? It's such a strange day."
"I don't know, but I feel the urge to find out. Maybe the guy at the party could explain some of the oddities happening around here. Who knows, maybe he bought the store out of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies."
"Maybe."
"Oh, and honey, shouldn't you be at work by now?"
Joe gave her a strange look. "I don't have a job."
Jill was confused. "Did you get laid off or something? What's up?"
"Umm, no, I never had a job."
An awkward silence settled over the couple. Jill broke the silence. "Well... I guess we'll just have to make some cookies ourselves. Can you go downstairs and get some oatmeal?"
"Sure thing." Joe disappeared down the stairs and Jill proceeded to prepare some of the ingredients for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
"A strange day indeed..."

---

Joe grabbed a one pound bag of oatmeal from the storage room in the basement and stomped back up the stairs. The door was closed. He didn't remember closing the door. He reached forward to grab the door handle - The door suddenly flew open to reveal the great blue sky and a bunch of people (three, to be exact) gathered around the doorway. "Hey! You must be Joe. My name is Jerry." A tall yet buff man greeted Joe with a strong handshake.
"Uuh... Guys... Where's my house?"
"Don't worry about your house. Right now you're with us."
"Where's my wife?!" Joe shouted and started to strangle with Jerry and the folk around. Jerry and two other people grabbed him and tried to get him to settle down.
"Your wife is fine. Now, may we proceed," Jerry replied.
"I'm not going anywhere without knowing what's going on." He looked behind to where he entered the mysterious world. The doorway and staircase had disappeared. He continued, "And I would really love to know what's going on."
"Don't worry about it, alright? It's all good. It's all fine. Time freezes when you leave the house; everything will be fine."
"But, I don-"
"SHUT UP!" Jerry yelled, then sighed, "We may proceed."

---

Jill rumbled quietly as she slowly awoke. Then she realized something. That something was very odd and was very confusing. She sat up quickly. She did not quite understand what was going on. All she did was eat just one chocolate chip. All she did was send Joe down to the basement to fetch some oatmeal. Was that really terrible?
Now, to express the plain oddity of what she was feeling, let's step back. Last we heard from her, she was gathering ingredients for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and had sent Joe down to get some oatmeal for the cookies. Now, what we had missed was the part where she ate a chocolate chip. Shame on her. The other strange thing she felt was the fact that she was in bed. How did she get there? How long had she been sleeping? And finally, why was she in the middle of a forest?
She rolled off of the bed and proceeded to walk in a random direction. Actually, the direction was not quite random - it seemed there was already a path laid out for her, and it seemed to be worn from constant stampeding. She continued down the trail, dodging brush, crawling over logs, and seemingly walking with no reason. Soon she started running, but only shortly, for she once again tripped over her jeans. Then she only felt clumsy - she had not changed out of her clothes before going to sleep, nonetheless embarking on such an adventure. She dusted herself off and continued down the trail.
It was about this time when she came upon a structure, evidently artificial. She climbed up to the top of the structure - it seemed to be shaped like a pyramid. At the top was a pedestal. On that pedestal, she found, was a plate of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. How odd.

---

Joe coughed up blood in the middle of a forest in the middle of an unknown world. Joe wondered quietly why he coughed up blood - all he had done was take one step. He had handed off the oatmeal to Jerry and as the others started walking down a random trail, he assumed to do the same. The only problem was that his body did not think that he should do the same.
Joe stood, half bent, coughing up blood, having not even reached the trail yet. Jerry shook his head. "Joe. Your shoes are untied."
"What?" Joe looked down at his shoes, and just as Jerry had said, his shoes were untied. "Uum..."
"Are you going to tie them? We need to get going."
"... I suppose..."
"Come on, we need to go."
"Uuh..."
Jerry shook his head, bent down and tied Joe's shoes for him. "Hey, why did you do that?"
"You weren't tying them, so I took the responsibility."
"I can tie my shoes perfectly fine by myself, thank you very much."
"Then why weren't you?"
Joe was stumped. He didn't know why he hadn't bent down to tie his shoes.
"Doesn't matter. Let's keep going." They started hiking down the trail once again. Joe almost expected to start coughing up blood at his next step, but after finally braving that step, he discovered that he didn't cough up blood like he had initially expected. "Joe. Let's go?"
"Oh, um, sorry. I was just thinking." And so they continued on down the trail, stopping only at the base of a small house-sized man-made structure. Jerry and the two others started climbing up the steps of the pyramid-like structure. "Hey guys, are you sure that's such a great idea?"
Jerry sighed. "Joe, this attitude of yours is a real problem. Grow up and come with us or just stand there staring at your shoes."
Joe was stumped once again at the sudden comeback of Jerry's. He honestly did not understand what was going on - he was still meandering over how he had gotten here in the first place. All he wanted was a taxi to get back home. He wanted to get back to Jill and tell her all about the strange experience he was having. "Just one question - do they have taxis out here?"
Jerry glared at him through his dark brown eyes. Joe's Asian heritage almost led you to believe that he was going to jump out and start showing his Kung Fu skills. Jerry rolled his eyes. "Stop with this willy nilly and hurry up." Joe was stumped again.

Posted Nov 18, '11 at 10:05pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,179 posts

Jerry

*shudders* ugh change his name.

Posted Nov 18, '11 at 10:58pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

*shudders* ugh change his name.

Sorry :P Free-writing doesn't really give any chance for character development. I shall change it, though. What would be a better name? Daniel? Earnest? Earnest sounds good. There's lots of color in the name of Earnest :P

Okay, I think I patched it all up. Also fixed a few typographical errors. Hopefully all of them; I didn't really read through it carefully.

That morning was a dreadfully wonderful morning - the rising sun briskly started once again on it's journey across the northern sky. The atmosphere greeted the sun with bountiful selections of color - all sort of purple and red and orange and yellow and blue.

This great air was widely ignored by Jill. She wasn't at all worried much at all about color and the sun rising every day of the year. She assumed that every morning the sun should rise in the east and set in the west - a worthy assumption, to say the least. But the fact that the sun might not rise in the east in the morning is not a subject particularly popular among people. In fact, almost everyone you talk to will tell you that if the world does not end by tomorrow, the sun will not rise in the east. They could always rely on science telling them that the world will keep spinning and the sun keep blazing, and all this with no harm to humanity. Science is a big assumer - it does not take into account the probability of the sun suddenly becoming sick and deciding to take the day off. That, of course, is another matter. "The sun doesn't get sick," so they may ridicule. "Even the thought of the sun becoming sick is completely ridiculous." That is quite alright, for science has been proven worthy of being right, most often; many times it is spot on, because science explains everything as it is. Well, almost everything. It doesn't exactly explain why the sun would get sick. But that is another matter.

Jill took a sip of her coffee. One sugar, two milks - that is the right mixture (in her eyes) without being very strong or like candy. The sudden jump of thought to coffee amused her. Why her mind might suddenly start about the perfect mixture of milks and sugars and why was quite beyond her. She returned to her book, continuing on in her light reading over her breakfast and morning coffee.

"Jill!" A shout emancipated from inside the house. Jill, hearing the shout, turned around and called back inside, "Yes, what is it?"

A tall yet slender man approached from inside the house. "Phone call."

"Thanks, Joe." Jill took the phone and spoke into the receiver. "Hello? Who is it?"

A deep gravelly voice answered on the other side. "Hey, I'm looking for some chums."

"Say what?"

"You know, chums. I want to get some sort of a party together."

"Uh, sure, but -"

"No problem. Be there at 8."

"Okay, but -"

"You're wondering where?"

"Um, yes, precisely."

"Corner of East and Main. Bye."

"Wait si- *click*" Jill sighed. She walked back inside to put the phone back onto it's perch. "That was possibly the weirdest call I have ever had."

"Who was it?"

"Some guy with a gravelly voice asking if I wanted to go to a party."

"Oh. So... Are you going to go?"

"Of course! Who wouldn't skip out on a party?"

"Wait, seriously? ... Am I invited?"

"Uh, no, I didn't hear your name mentioned. Sorry."

"Bummer."

"Well hey, I have to run for a dentist appointment. I'll probably go shopping afterwards."

"You're going to run to the dentist's office in your jeans?" Joe asked surprisingly. Jill glared at him. "I'll see you later. Don't forget to pick up some coffee. We're almost out."

"Of course I will. What makes you think I won't?" She teased.

"Coffee addict." Joe joked. "Well hey, have fun at the dentist appointment. I can vouch for many people in saying that going to the dentist is, indeed, fun."

Jill glanced at the clock. "Oh dear, I should really be going. I'll see you later."

"And the cookies."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Jill grabbed the keys off of the shelf next to the door to the garage and ran out, tripping over the door frame as she passed. "I told you that you should have worn something more fit for running." Jill sighed and closed the door on her way out.

---

Jill stopped at the bakery isle of the grocery store, Eat Rite Shop, in search of cookies. Joe's favorite kind of cookie was oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, so she searched the isle specifically for such cookies. Chocolate chip, sugar, snickerdoodle, oatmeal, bran - almost anything you could think of was lined up on the shelf. Everything, that is, except for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Looking for someone who worked at the store, Jill walked around the store. Finally, she came across someone she thought could help. She prompted him, "Umm, sir, do you happen to have any oatmeal chocolate chip cookies at this store? I've found almost all other kinds of cookies - even bran, nobody likes bran - and without luck, my search was not completed. Do you happen to stock them?"

The grocery clerk answered in his gravelly voice, "Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? Are you crazy? Nobody likes... Whatever horrible mess that might be. And what do you have against Bran? It's the most popular cookie in the store."
"What are you talking about? I've come here for years and every single day you've stocked Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. What do you mean you've never had them here?"

"I meant exactly what I heard. Now scram, I've got work to do."

"Work?" She looked up and down the empty isles. "It hardly seems like there's any work to be done, unless it happens to be stocking Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Fine, I'll go." She walked to the front counter to pay for the coffee in her hand, and after paying for it, proceeded to walk out the door. "And nobody likes bran."

---

Jill walked in the door. "Weirdest thing - the store didn't have any Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies."
"What? They've always had them stocked."

"Yeah, that's what I said. They had lots of Bran cookies, though. The clerk kept saying that Bran cookies were quite popular. Nobody likes bran, though."

"Hah, I can vouch for that. And so many weird things have been happening it seems. The phone call, the cookies... What's up, do you think? It's such a strange day."

"I don't know, but I feel the urge to find out. Maybe the guy at the party could explain some of the oddities happening around here. Who knows, maybe he bought the store out of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies."

"Maybe."

"Oh, and honey, shouldn't you be at work by now?"

Joe gave her a strange look. "I don't have a job."

Jill was confused. "Did you get laid off or something? What's up?"

"Umm, no, I never had a job."

An awkward silence settled over the couple. Jill broke the silence. "Well... I guess we'll just have to make some cookies ourselves. Can you go downstairs and get some oatmeal?"

"Sure thing." Joe disappeared down the stairs and Jill proceeded to prepare some of the ingredients for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.

"A strange day indeed..."

---

Joe grabbed a one pound bag of oatmeal from the storage room in the basement and stomped back up the stairs. The door was closed. He didn't remember closing the door. He reached forward to grab the door handle - The door suddenly flew open to reveal the great blue sky and a bunch of people (three, to be exact) gathered around the doorway. "Hey! You must be Joe. My name is Earnest." A tall yet buff man greeted Joe with a strong handshake.

"Uuh... Guys... Where's my house?"

"Don't worry about your house. Right now you're with us."

"Where's my wife?!" Joe shouted and started to strangle with Earnest and the folk around. They grabbed Joe and tried to get him to settle down.

"Your wife is fine. Now, may we proceed," Earnest replied.

"I'm not going anywhere without knowing what's going on." He looked behind to where he entered the mysterious world. The doorway and staircase had disappeared. He continued, "And I would really love to know what's going on."

"Don't worry about it, alright? It's all good. It's all fine. Time freezes when you leave the house; everything will be fine."

"But, I don-"

"SHUT UP!" Earnest yelled, then sighed, "We may proceed."

---

Jill rumbled quietly as she slowly awoke. Then she realized something. That something was very odd and was very confusing. She sat up quickly. She did not quite understand what was going on. All she did was eat just one chocolate chip. All she did was send Joe down to the basement to fetch some oatmeal. Was that really terrible?

Now, to express the plain oddity of what she was feeling, let's step back. Last we heard from her, she was gathering ingredients for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and had sent Joe down to get some oatmeal for the cookies. Now, what we had missed was the part where she ate a chocolate chip. Shame on her. The other strange thing she felt was the fact that she was in bed. How did she get there? How long had she been sleeping? And finally, why was she in the middle of a forest?

She rolled off of the bed and proceeded to walk in a random direction. Actually, the direction was not quite random - it seemed there was already a path laid out for her, and it seemed to be worn from constant stampeding. She continued down the trail, dodging brush, crawling over logs, and seemingly walking with no reason. Soon she started running, but only shortly, for she once again tripped over her jeans. Then she only felt clumsy - she had not changed out of her clothes before going to sleep, nonetheless embarking on such an adventure. She dusted herself off and continued down the trail.

It was about this time when she came upon a structure, evidently artificial. She climbed up to the top of the structure - it seemed to be shaped like a pyramid. At the top was a pedestal. On that pedestal, she found, was a plate of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. How odd.

---

Joe coughed up blood in the middle of a forest in the middle of an unknown world. Joe wondered quietly why he coughed up blood - all he had done was take one step. He had handed off the oatmeal to Earnest and as the others started walking down a random trail, he assumed to do the same. The only problem was that his body did not think that he should do the same.

Joe stood, half bent, coughing up blood, having not even reached the trail yet. Earnest shook his head. "Joe. Your shoes are untied."

"Huh? What?" Joe looked down at his shoes, and just as Earnest had said, his shoes were untied. "Uum..."

"Are you going to tie them? We need to get going."

"... I suppose..."

"Come on, we need to go."

"Uuh..."

Earnest shook his head, bent down and tied Joe's shoes for him. "Hey, why did you do that?"

"You weren't tying them, so I took the responsibility."

"I can tie my shoes perfectly fine by myself, thank you very much."

"Then why didn't you?"

Joe was stumped. He didn't know why he hadn't bent down to tie his shoes.

"Doesn't matter. Let's keep going." They started hiking down the trail once again. Joe almost expected to start coughing up blood at his next step, but after finally braving that step, he discovered that he didn't cough up blood like he had initially expected. "Joe. Let's go?"

"Oh, um, sorry. I was just thinking." And so they continued on down the trail, stopping only at the base of a small house-sized man-made structure. Earnest and the two others started climbing up the steps of the pyramid-like structure. "Hey guys, are you sure that's such a great idea?"

Earnest sighed. "Joe, this attitude of yours is a real problem. Grow up and come with us or just stand there staring at your shoes."

Joe was stumped once again at the sudden comeback of Earnest's. He honestly did not understand what was going on - he was still meandering over how he had gotten here in the first place. All he wanted was a taxi to get back home. He wanted to get back to Jill and tell her all about the strange experience he was having. "Just one question - do they have taxis out here?"

Earnest glared at him through his dark brown eyes. Joe's Asian heritage almost led you to believe that he was going to jump out and start demonstrating his Kung Fu skills. Earnest rolled his eyes. "Stop with the willy nilly and hurry up." Joe was stumped again.

Hopefully that should take care of all of it and the spacing should help with paragraphs a bit.

Posted Nov 18, '11 at 11:23pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,179 posts

Ah. So much better lol. I enjoy your writings sir, keep it up plz!

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 5:22pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Ah. So much better lol. I enjoy your writings sir, keep it up plz!

Thanks! Here's some more to munch on.

Installation 2 of 25:

"I'M SO CONFUSED!" Those were the only words Jill could muster. She took another bite of the last oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, but the only emotions running through her mind were complete confusion. She didn't understand. She didn't know why she didn't understand; all she knew was that she didn't understand. She also knew she was eating the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. That wasn't a crime, was it? She took another bite, finishing off the last cookie. Suddenly the strong headache and confusion that were preeminent suddenly wore off. The only problem was that she gathered another headache and more confusion - confusion as to why it suddenly disappeared. She wiped the crumbs from her lips and looked around from the perch on the structure.
There were two four sides of the structure, each sloping to the top. Two of them had steps up to the top - they were exactly opposite to each other. The other two sides were simply great big blocks that stepped up to the top - in all, there were three, including the top stone. On the top, as noted earlier, there was a pedestal that contained at one point oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They were gone now, though.
Jill took note of which side she had climbed up the stairs - somehow, through all of the confusion of cookie-eating, she still remembered. She climbed down the other side and proceeded once again to hike the trail that wound through the large forest.
---
Earnest climbed up the last step and walked to the pedestal on the top of the structure. "Ah, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my favorite!"
Joe reached the top. "What did you say?"
"Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Want one?"
"Of course!" Joe took a cookie from the pedestal and started to munch on it, taking in the view from the top of the tall pyramid. From the top, you could overlook the forest and see miles in any direction.
Earnest spoke up. "Now, we'll be heading toward the mountain over in the east -" he pointed in the opposite direction Joe was facing, "and then we'll try to get to the top. Who knows what may be up there... I have never made it myself."
"Excuse me, but where exactly are we?" Joe asked.
"Right, you've never been here before, have you?"
"Nope."
"Well, we are in the fourth quadrant of the sixth pendantum, on the planet of -"
"I want to know WHERE we are."
"Humm, right." Earnest started pacing around the top of the structure. "We, Joe, are in an alternate universe from yours." Joe stood staring at Earnest. "To be exact, we are in an alternate universe, except for the fact that our universes are entirely different."
"H-h-how did I get here?" Joe nervously wondered.
"Duh, Joe, wormhole." Earnest held up a somewhat bulky handheld device. "Getting a sample of your DNA was the hard part - for one, there is no such thing as DNA in this universe and that we had to guess the string. As you could imagine, it took a while."
"H-h-how..." Joe swallowed. "Nevermind that. Why am I here?"
"We need a human to use the shelfhold reactor."
"The what?"
"It's hard to explain. We need to get going, though, so let's go, guys." The four of them climbed down the other side of the structure and hiked down yet another trail. As they continued, the mountain loomed ever closer.
---
Jill coughed up blood. Why, she did not quite understand - she was hardly tired and was eager to find out what was going on. She sat down on a nearby log. She noticed that her shoes were untied. That was quite odd, since she could have sworn her shoes didn't have laces. She bent down and tied them and soon the taste of blood disappeared from her mouth. Sighing, she laid her head down a pillow that was oddly placed right where her head would lie. And there was a blanket. And the log had a mattress in the core, and thankfully the top had been split off. She lay down and covered herself with the blanket, and soon entered a deep sleep...
---
Jill jerked awake. Several hundred people surrounded her, it seemed - It was hard to see all of them because the trail was so narrow, and the people were surrounding her in all directions. One of them, wearing an elegantly styled headdress spouted off random gibberish and two strong men grabbed her and forced her to take a pill. She passed out shortly afterward.
---
"I forgot to mention." Earnest turned around to face Joe. "There are aboriginals around these parts. If you see any, tell us and we'll lead you to a safe place. You can never be too careful around these parts."
And so they continued on down the trail. The mountain obscured more of their view to the east every hour. Eventually, they reached another structure, identical to the one they had seen before. They climbed to the top and, just as before, there was a pedestal at the top. Catching their breath, they stopped for a moment at the top to breathe the cool air and observe the area around them. Joe pointed at the sky. "Wasn't the sun at the same position when we started?"
"If that's what you call the sun, yes. The worlds don't turn like they do in your universe."
"Wouldn't the atmosphere burn up then?"
"Not really. This universe basically has a uniform temperature. You wouldn't quite understand."
"I'd assume not."
"Well, let's get this party started then."
They turned around to face the pedestal. Shock covered Earnest and the two others as they observed no cookies on the pedestal. "Where'd they all go?!?" Earnest was shocked. The cookies were always there. The aboriginals wouldn't touch them; they considered the cookies a sacred relic. "That must mean..." Earnest's voice trailed away. "We must hurry to reach the mountain. The aboriginals will be here at any moment."
They took quick steps to the edge of the structure, but in a split second the entire construction was surrounded by aboriginals. "Uh, Earnest, how did they -"
"Someone else was here. Someone else took their cookies."
The chief of the aboriginals - the one with the elegant headdress - called out in random gibberish, and a group of strong men ran up the steps and grabbed a hold of the four at the top of the structure. They were all slipped pills and so they passed out...
---
Joe woke up coughing blood. His first thoughts spanned from what was going on to the realization that his shoe laces were untied. He bent down and tied them. After doing so, he sat up and looked around. Earnest and the two other people that never said anything were both still asleep. They were in a closed room, built with stone bricks resembling sandstone. The room was shaped like the structures - A flat floor with the four walls sloping up into a point. The room was on the larger side - the point itself was twenty feet in the air, and floor twenty feet long and twenty feet wide. On one side was a large stone door - it appeared that the door moved up and down instead of the normal left and right or in and out like in Joe's home universe. As he attempted to get up and walk around, he realized something - that his hands and feet were tied. The knot was unlike anything he had seen before and decided it might be better not to try to figure it out. He engaged in looking around the room again.
Joe, Earnest, and the two other people that he didn't know the names of were placed on a sort of table in the center of the room. The table itself was about ten feet wide and ten feet long - the table was elevated by about a foot from the ground. As Joe peeked under the table to see what might be holding them up, he saw several dead cats stacked up beneath to hold it up. How morbid. As he looked around the room again, he noticed a reason for those cats to be dead - it seemed that the floor was covered in some type of liquid. He took a rock that was sitting in the middle of the table and threw it in the liquid to try to get an idea of what the liquid was. It created a huge splash and the rock settled at the bottom, the noise from the splash waking up the other three. The little ripples from the splash almost broke over the edge of the table.
Earnest sat up quickly as if he had a horrible dream. "What was that?"
"I was trying to see what the liquid might be. I thought that throwing the rock might give me an idea."
Earnest sighed. "You realize that the aboriginals like to test people they find by giving them puzzles? We probably need that rock for something. Try to wake us up before you do something like that again."
"Sorry."
The four of them sat there, hands and feet tied, with no idea of what to do. Joe broke the silence. "So... What now?"
---
The four of them peered over the edge of the table. "So, what do you think - Water?"
"I would think they would be a little meaner."
"Yeah... The rock was shaped like a cube, just high enough so that you could step on it without getting wet, or getting covered in - whatever it is."
Joe laid down on the table. This whole day was getting to him. It was such an odd day, though, he reasoned, it couldn't get any odder. Right? Now he had puzzles to solve. "Maybe we could just jump across. It isn't that far, after all."
"Too risky. The ledge for the door is at least two feet above the water itself. Besides," Earnest motioned to the bonds that tied their wrists and ankles.
Joe sat up and looked at the door. The stench from the cats' bodies was quite overwhelming. He realized that he could see, but where did the light come from? He looked up. It seemed that the very top brick, about half a foot in width, length, and height, was removed, and a bright light filtered in. He looked at the door again. There were two torches beside the door. Then he realized something. He paused. There was music playing.
---
Jill awoke from her deep sleep, sore and in discord. Passing out is no easy deal, after all. Her hands and feet were tied. Looking around, she recognized the room as sort of shaped like the structures built throughout the forest. A sudden realization came over her - how long has she slept? It must've been at least through the night by now. Ignoring the bonds that held her and the water she tread through, she hopped over to the door and banged on the door. "Hey! Hey! Is anyone there? I forgot to take my pills this morning!"

Posted Nov 20, '11 at 9:57pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Time for installation 3, and I promise there will be spaces this time...

Installation 3 of 25:

Joe sighed. The bonds weren't exactly comfortable, and it didn't help that there was a puzzle to solve. It wouldn't have been such a pain if there was the problem that the liquid that separated them from the door might be acid. It could also just be water. There was no way for them to know. His headache didn't seem to get any better - the stench from the dead cats was maddening. If only he could take one breathe of fresh air, or a drink of water...

Earnest thought through their options. The obvious matter would be to just try to get to the door - without the cube, they were helpless. Just sitting there wouldn't solve the puzzle that so plagued their minds. A sudden realization came over him.

"Joe, how thick was the liquid when you threw the rock into the water?"

"Well, it seemed of the same consistency of water... You can never be sure, though."

"Never mind that. Does one of you want to test the water in case it is insanely deadly and will kill you once you touch it?" He motioned to the two nameless men sitting in the corners. They glared at him. Earnest paused. "Right, then. I guess it's up to me then. There's not really any point in sitting still anyways."

"Wait, no -!" Joe screamed as Earnest slow-motion moved to the water. Everyone squirmed as the intensity grew. The tip of Earnest's shoe touched the water. Nothing. He slowly let himself settle into the water. Still nothing.

"Alright, then. I'll fetch the brick in case we need it to get up." Earnest went over to the corner where the rock had settled after Joe tossed it, and picked it up. He set it beneath the ledge in front of the door and slowly everyone made their way onto the ledge, squirming and moving back and forth to try to get themselves fully onto the ledge. Joe noticed a knife set on a small table that was hidden in a corner. He motioned to it for Earnest to see. Earnest slowly hopped over to the table and tried to pick it up, cutting himself in the process.

"Are you alright?" Joe asked.

"I'll be fine," Earnest sullenly replied. He worked at his own bonds, working hard to cut them off. Eventually he had his own off, as well as everyone else’s.

"Now, how are we supposed to get this door open?" Joe asked curiously. Earnest rolled his eyes and grabbed onto a small divot in the door, pulling toward the ground. Both the halves disappeared into the floor and ceiling, and the four of them continued on.

---

Jill woke up. As the drowsiness began to wear off, she realized two things. One, that she was no longer in that strange world where oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are set on top of pedestals on structures randomly placed throughout the forest. For that, she was thankful. It wasn't that she didn't like that type of cookie, but one can only take so many weird things in one day. The second thing she realized was that she didn't wake up at home. It was night out. That she could tell because there was an open sky over her head. The weird part was that everything was in black and white. The other weird part was that the entire world, it seemed, was covered in carpet. There were no patterns in it, either - just bland gray carpet. She noticed the gray carpet mountains in the distance. At this point, she was getting quite tired of waking up. In the past day - or however long it was - she had woken up three times, but only fell asleep once, and that was thanks to a sleeping pill.

After a minute of taking in the carpeted landscape and her new surroundings, she realized that there was an alarm clock next to the bed she was lying on. And that alarm clock was going off - it seemed that it had woken her up. Now, if she had really woken up a minute ago, that meant that the alarm was set to go off at a prime number. She also noticed that it was 3:20 PM. She paused. In the afternoon? She rubbed her eyes, pinched herself, anything to tell her that it was a dream. Why wasn't the sun up? The sun should always be up at three in the afternoon (by her reasoning). She then realized that the alarm was still going off and silenced the annoying noise. There was a cookie next to the alarm clock on the table. It was a bran cookie. Jill looked at it in disgust and decided she should probably be going somewhere. She then departed to the Carpet Mountains in the distance in search of the sun that brought the day. She was really itching for a coffee at that moment.

---

"Do you guys want a penny?" Joe almost jumped with fright when he heard the voice. As he turned around, he beheld at least a thousand that he could see, all hunched over and holding a penny in their hands. Suddenly the room was in uproar as every single person in that room except for the four popped the same exact question. In reality, that room was infinitely long - Scores upon scores upon septillions of hunch-backed people holding a penny, and asking them if they wanted that penny.

Joe, Earnest, and the two unmentionables wrestled through the packed crowd in search of their goal - at that point, it seemed they had none. The only clue they had was that they might need some pennies, and possibly, an infinite amount. They desperately searched around the room for an answer. Finally, one of the unnamed men raised a hand and attempted to yell over the roar, "Look!" Suddenly all was quiet. Everyone's eyes were on the unnamed person, and up to that point, speechless. Not anymore, it seemed.

"Well, it looks like we'll have to build some kind of penny staircase to get up to that door. Okay! Order in the room! Everyone that has a penny lend a hand." The formerly speechless man took immediate action. He offered his hand to Joe. "My name's Jerry, by the way." Joe shook his hand. "Yeah, I know, I know, a horrible name. That's my only bad quality, though." Jerry seemed to hold a very high self-esteem. "No, no, go ahead, you can clap if you want." Suddenly, the room burst out in applause as an infinite amount of people started cheering, clapping and being as loud as they could be. Unfortunately, that room was not well protected in terms of echo and soon the number of decibels of sound climbed into the multiples of hundreds.

"IT'S LOUD IN HERE." Joe's point seemed to be rather redundant.

"WHAT? DID YOU SAY SOMETHING?" Earnest's ears were as abused as the rest of theirs were. Fortunately Jerry had earplugs.

"I'm used to these sorts of situations. I do have a very large fan base, after all."  Jerry handed out earplugs to the other three. Now, any normal set of earplugs wouldn't help in situations like these, as you may be aware, any high decibel range will immediately kill your ears. Jerry forgot this, of course, since he was already wearing a pair before the eruption occurred. One of the things the earplugs solve, though, is the healing of your eardrums. The moment you put them in, your earplugs are automatically healed. Also, there was a radio signal between the earplugs, meaning the four of them could talk without problem. The only problem was that Jerry had forgotten to tune down the earplugs before handing to them, so the earplugs were practically useless anyways. Earnest took the responsibility of checking to see if they worked.

"Hey. Is this thing on?" Thankfully, the earplugs automatically heal your eardrums, so that wasn't a problem, though the loud voice in your head definitely was. They weren't able to comprehend a single word he said. "Oops, haha. Guess I should dial them down a bit." Joe rolled his eyes.

"WILL YOU PLEASE GROW UP?!?" The sudden outburst of Joe's was enough to break all of their earplugs (except for Jerry's, of course), so not only were their ears still broken, they had a huge wad of earplug wedged into their ears. There was no chance for them to hear again. And the bridge was nowhere near completion - all the infinite of hunch-backs were still cheering and clapping.

They had a problem.

---

Jill's feet itched. It tickled her feet to walk barefoot on a never-ending carpet. It sort of seemed plush at first, but then she realized that it hurt her feet by being altogether too comfortable. She sat down to take a rest. That was another thing she noticed - she was in her pajamas instead of the jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers she was wearing earlier.

The mountains were obviously much closer, though the only way to tell was by looking at the solid gray shapes against the pitch black sky. Somehow light was making it's way into the world - though it was bland and black-and-white, it still was letting off some light, however weak. Jill got up to continue once again.

After at least an hour of treading on the carpet toward the gray mountains, Jill tripped over a piece of carpet that was sticking up - because the carpet was all the same color, it was impossible to tell any definite shapes. Jill began to realize how soft and cozy the carpet was, and began to fall asleep. At the last possible moment of being awake, she pulled away. "No, no, no, no, no... I'm not going to fall asleep again, you nasty devil." She laughed. She felt absolutely crazy. There was no way she wouldn't go crazy. She realized how crazy was and began to reason that maybe some sleep would help. She ignored that thought, gathered herself, and continued on to the mountains.

---

Joe sighed. There was no way they were going to get through this room, from the sheer amount of people and the irresponsibility. There was not much to do other than stand there and try to pick out the earplugs. He decided to look around the room.

There was not really much to see other than the ceiling, the wall of the door they had come through, and then the two walls that disappeared into infinity. It was hard to see very far as Joe was just below average height, and these hunchbacks were not little kids. As he looked closer at the door that was suspended above the infinitely large crowd on the right wall, he noticed that there was a ladder leading up to the door. If Jerry wasn't such a jerk, maybe he would've noticed it sooner. Joe told himself to calm down a little.

He motioned to Earnest and the other unmentionable to come with, but Jerry was too focused on his infinite fan base to notice that they had left. Soon Joe, Earnest, and the other guy had wrestled through the crowd to the ladder, and soon they all made their way to the top and through the door, leaving Jerry with his hunchback fans.

---

Jill was extremely happy. She was so happy, in fact, she almost couldn't walk - her grin was so wide it dragged on the ground behind her. She didn't know why she was so smiley-like, as her thoughts put it - perhaps it was simply her craziness getting the best of her. She didn't care much at all, though, because she was happy, the happiest person in the world, at least, in that world. There weren't any people that she saw, so she didn't really know if she was actually the happiest person in the world. However, it seemed that no matter how happy she was, and that she was still the happiest person in the world, drudging her grin along is hard work, especially when it hangs so low. She couldn't stop smiling, though - she was extremely happy.

A fly - the only fly in the world it seemed - sought the opportunity to be able to bug someone. 'Finally!' it said to itself, 'something to do around here.' (Translated into English from Fly, for your convenience.) Opportunity doesn't last very long when it straight up swallows you. Jill's giant grin turned into the face of disgust. Apparently flies don't die when you swallow them - at least not in that world. The fly felt it necessary to fly around in her stomach, which was both revolting to her and ticklish. There's not much for you to do at that point, other than hope that the fly dies a nasty death. Jill sincerely hoped that a nasty death would not be messy - her stomach would not be pleased.

Finally Jill reached the base of the mountain. Sadly, she wasn't able to see the slope, so she tripped once again as she began to ascend the mountain. She, once again, picked herself back up and carried on.

Posted Nov 20, '11 at 10:06pm

Alexistigerspice

Alexistigerspice

669 posts

Wow, Jeol!  You have serious talent as a writer! Your story is riveting....

Reply to Jeol: The Resuscitation

You must be logged in to post a reply!