ForumsSupport ForumSome suggestions for the AG staff

11 3030
redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

Ok, I've thought long and hard about this and here it goes. These are just suggestions and they don't HAVE to be done but I personally think would make Armor Games better. Here are my suggestions:

(1) I really think there should be an editing tool for posts in ALL areas of AG. This would really help if you weren't paying attention and you said something wrong in your post, or you had really bad spelling.

(2) I think people should get merits in the forums to, for giving good advice. It doesn't neccesarily have to be 20 AP for the merit but maybe like 10 AP.

(3) I think AP should be awarded when a good forum is posted and reaches from 100-300 pages of posts. You know like a forum that doesn't start any flame wars and everyone is having fun with it. Maybe award like 5-15 AP.

Anyway these are just some suggestions, and if there is a reason you can't do any of these would you please explain why it can't work so people (including myself) would understand why it can't work. Thanks alot

~Hunt~

• 11 Replies
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

These are some pretty good points, though I would have some commentary.

One I believe this has been suggested multiple times, yet for some unknown reason, it has not been implemented yet. Although I am usually against double ideas, I would agree with this here because seriously, it needs to be done. It is more important, in my opinion, than most of the ideas that have been enacted recently, and it would cut down on the 'double post' spam that occurs occasionally. It would also eliminate the 'sorry I forgot to say' excuse for double posting, and if someone accidentally double-clicked and double posted, they could immediately rectify the situation.

Two I believe this would be tricky, because of the opinions included. What would constitute "good" advice, or a "good" post. The game reviews at least have some sort of restrictions as to what can be there, but I think that this might be too vague or hard to rationalize. Also, this *is* a gaming site, it makes sense that the higher points are awarded to things that are relative to games.

Three Although this is an interesting idea, the only threads that get nearly this much activity seem to be the forum game threads, and I would not want anything to encourage most of those. Some are interesting and fun, but the more popular ones are generally full of one-word spam. Most of the good discussions on forums get finished up in 5-10 pages.

Good ideas though, keep thinking )

snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

Very nice suggestions. The only thing that is wrong is that your first suggestion about editing is in the rules under "Popular site suggestions:" and here is what it says:

"1. Post editing -- the ability to go back and adjust a post after you have posted it. I think 1 chance to edit is enough. Then after the editing an automatic note is put in the post reading: [Member name] edited this post on date and time."

And that basically states that the staff thinks that you should review your post before you post it. And that they won't make that change at the moment.

You can find the rules here: http://armorgames.com/community/thread/645481/read-this-first-before-posting

The other suggestions are great keep coming up with those great ideas!

~Snowman1474

snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

sorry I guess it cut it off.... here is the link:

http://armorgames.com/community/thread/645481/read-this-first-before-posting

Hope that one works

~Snowman1474

shadedclan
shadedclan
405 posts
Peasant

im not sure tho but i have 1

a place in the community with a place that we should put the people doing bad things

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I would agree with 1) and 2), particularly because 1), I really hate it when the occasional typo slips in one of my essay-length responses, and 2) would mean that I'm apparently likely to score AP much faster :P On a more serious note it's a wish I've frequently heard.

As for 3) I tend to believe this is more an incentive to pointless thread bumping, which would create more work for the mods. Constructive contribution should be its own reward!

chillskill
chillskill
62 posts
Nomad

I like theese suggestions escesialy number 1 and 2 i think that at least number 1 woulden't be to tricky and i think theese are very good for the site.

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

Well, all these suggestions had already been made earlier.
You should check THIS topic (amongst others).

I have to agree with the 1st suggestion, but I disagree with the 2 others.
2: Merits are reserved for game comments, and I think it's as good as it can be. indeed, we don't want to generalize merits, we want them to stay an exceptional award for a really good review. On the forums, we would get loads and loads of merits in the politics section as many constructive discussions are going on out there.

3: I totally disagree with this, since the most popular topics aren't always the best (for example the True or False topic, which I find useless...). also, as DM said earlier:

Most of the good discussions on forums get finished up in 5-10 pages.
kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I almost agree with Calm here.

In reverse order:

3) Isn't a good idea, because long topics can just come from a short, almost thoughtless post. "What country are you from?" is more likely to generate 100+ responses than "What games should be promoted for the social good?" which is much more likely to generate good discussion.

2) Jeez guys, isn't being popular and often-responded to enough? I agree that Merits for game reviews only is a good thing. After all, this is primarily a gaming site, not a forum.

1) On some other message boards I frequent, edits are limited to one for typos. They don't let people have more so people don't change what they said after people respond to them, so they always look right, even if they aren't. I think this is a good rule. Heck, I make typos too and when that happens, I just smack myself and start reviewing my posts more.

Good ideas, but they would disrupt the balance here too much.

snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

Anyone read my post lol?

Very nice suggestions. The only thing that is wrong is that your first suggestion about editing is in the rules under "Popular site suggestions:" and here is what it says:

"1. Post editing -- the ability to go back and adjust a post after you have posted it. I think 1 chance to edit is enough. Then after the editing an automatic note is put in the post reading: [Member name] edited this post on date and time."

And that basically states that the staff thinks that you should review your post before you post it. And that they won't make that change at the moment.
I've posted about editing on the reviews of games before and got my topic locked, and refered to the rules.... So thats what I did to this one Except the locking, since I don't have that right.

~Snowman1474
XxPens87xX
XxPens87xX
79 posts
Nomad

Personally, I like all of these ideas suggested. They are really well thought up and I have been thinking about a few of those same things suggested too.

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

thanks calm for the explanation I get it

Showing 1-11 of 11