ForumsWEPRBurma Cyclone death toll

4 3518
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

SOrry if there is already one on this, i couldent find it...

anyway i've heard that originaly only about 20,000 people died, but as Aid hasent been alowed in (cos burma's paranoid) that it has gone past the 100,000 mark, can anyone confirm this... oh and dose anyone no why they arnt letting anyone in? i think its cos there woried from being attacked from the inside...

• 4 Replies
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

=0 i just found this about it...

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I heard about that! Very sad thing to hear, but not alot of people in America know about it. It just shows that we don't want to learn recent events. Kind of sad if you think about it.
I don't really think they're letting anyone in because it is too dangerous. And there are robbers that will go into houses and steal valuables.

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

I don't know Coheed...it was all over the news in Ohio...I'm pretty sure that most Americans know about cyclone Nargis.
Burma is ran by the military, and we aren't particularly good friends...thats why OUR aid shipments are being delayed. The UN shipments(ironically supplied by us) are getting in.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

The Myanmar government (I think they prefer the transliteration of 'Myanmar' over 'Burma', although it apparently translates to the same word in their language. go figure. The adjective form of both is still 'Burmese'. Ahh, the wonders of language) is forbidding aid for a couple of reasons.

One, they don't really care about their populace. Poor people died? Well, fewer poor people having food riots.

Two, they're paranoid. What if spies sneak in with the Red Cross? What if divisive literature gets in with the food. Crap, what if our people realize that Dictatorship sucks and revolt?

Third, they're delusional. They think they have the best government and will tell everyone there's no big deal and they can handle it. Anything else would be weakness, and they aren't weak! Think Baghdad Bob claiming that the Americans will never conquer Iraq, while American tanks were rolling through Baghdad. It's the same concept.

Showing 1-4 of 4