ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Posted May 9, '08 at 8:10pm

7,221 posts

What exactly is love and what causes it?

I don't think that it is something that can fully be described and the causation known. It is something that just hits you. When you know, you know. Its just natural.

Is it nothing more than intense lust? The urges of one's loins for another person?

NOOOO!!!!!! That is why lust and love are described as two different things. If two people are just in it for lust, then that is not love!

Is it sensing that someone would be a desirable mate and raiser or your offspring that also offers maximum genetic contributions?

No, because when most people fall in love, they do not think ahead that far. They don't say 'I love you', and then start thinking about having children.

Posted May 10, '08 at 1:11am

11,099 posts

@DM: Hmm...nah. In my experience, if one figures that they're all like "oh noes, I'm subject to a series of neurochemical reactions!?" and feel even worse!

I have no problem accepting the plausibility of such observations because I only commit to them insofar as they are an influence, not a determining factor. Personally around the 24 month mark of my relationship, whether or not this had anything to do with the wearing out of infatuation or what, I found myself having to take stock of where we were at in the relationship and what it was based on, and what it would grow to be.

Whether or not this has anything to do with physiological processes, I do think that in a long term relationship of any sort, such is definitely important (and, admittedly, most popular women's magazines would tell you the same). Now, why would that be!

Reply to Love

You must be logged in to post a reply!