ForumsWEPRLife on Mars?

12 4758
Captian_EO
Captian_EO
172 posts
Nomad

(Ha, that's my fave song!)
Anyways, most scientists believe in evolution, so why do they look for other planets like ours for life? I mean, if I belived in evolution I would think that life could be anywhere, they just evolved to breath fumes that are noxoius to us or they evolved to live in 1000+ degrees F. Or am I missing something?

• 12 Replies
crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Yea its a good song by David Bowie.I quite like it myself.

Anyway there is no life on Mars because there is probaly/definlty no enough oxygen there and no water except maybe the sea of tranquillity and other stuff but thats not water.And I think that only the mars rover can live up there or else it just explodes after awhile.And all Mars really is, is a red planet with a red dusty surface.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well, life on Mars has been mentioned somewhere else in the depths of another thread but right now, I can't remember where!

Nevermind...to answer your question Captain_EO, the mechanisms of evolution would grant fantastical adaptations but only if the organism survives long enough for that to take effect. But sometimes it ends up in places and just...dies because the conditions are too harsh.

I do think that our definition of "life" when it comes to "other planets" can be too restrictive (this narrow conceptual band termed the life zone being the source of the extremely slim probability that there's other life elsewhere)...but on the flip side, if we expand this definition, how are we to recognise the potential or the existence of life elsewhere?

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Who says that life needs to be carbon based like us? Its possible that there could be Silicone based living things that drink Mercury and breath Chlorine. Who knows?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

They don't even have to "drink" or "breathe"! Or "see" or "hear" or...

Waaah, brain explode!

Hibbert: Is the alien carbon-based, or silicone-based?
Homer: Uhhh... the second one. Zillifone. Next question?
Barney: [drunk] Is the alien Santa Claus?
Homer: Uh... yes!
Ned: Uh, where you on my roof last night stealing my weather vane?
Homer: This interview is over! *slam* *CRASH!*
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Ya thats true. You know all of the alien movies, depict aliens as similar to humans as you could possibly get. I don't think and extra terrestrial life will have any resemblance to anything on earth. And if they do, then I really don't want to meet them. All they have to do is come on our planet and we will all die of some new disease that we do not have immunities to, and vice versa.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

That's of course if microbiota interact with them the same way that they do us.

I suppose in a conceptual sense it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that if beings resembled us in a physiological sense they'd come from conditions similar to ours, and therefore would likely have similar systems ==> microbiota. And that would be nasty.

You know, I'm actually trying to write a sci-fi novel which explores this topic in some depth, seeing as I'm trying to see if somebody could actually address the question of "what is life", or failing that, "what are the common elements to 'life'" (as in, I'm 80000 words in, so not just one of those "oh I bet I can write a novel anyday darn this is too hard" kind of whims, but a serious commitment).

Needless to say I'm finding it difficult.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Ya by saying that they resembled us I was implying that they had come from a similar world.

Thats really cool that you are writing a novel. I wish I had time to write. I began writing somewhat of a journal/biography about my life in college. My roommate is really weird so i figured I should start documenting some of the extremely stupid things he does. But I don't have time to even write a paragraph now.

pythonslayer422
pythonslayer422
23 posts
Nomad

life on mars well that would suck im not a marshan you know so it would be really absurd

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

there is absolutely no life on mars we would have discovered it by now

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

@ Flip: Sigh, when I say writing a novel, I really do mean wish I had the time to resume it. I blew a month on NaNoWriMo (and got 50000 words in, yay I rock), but now I'm at the stick end of my thesis and clinical placement starts next semester, ooh boy I'm really feeling it.

I'm thinking about getting one of those diction recorders where I could be like those neurotic drama-queens that whip it out at random times and say "Note to self: main character needs new hairdo."

@ Ricador: Hmm...what makes you say that?

pythonslayer422
pythonslayer422
23 posts
Nomad

i know only earth has life Ricky

StrategyGamble
StrategyGamble
129 posts
Nomad

why not..todays everithing possible..i think we will be able live on mars in future but i think zheres no life on mars anyway

Showing 1-12 of 12