Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

'General Simplicity Competition - General Simplicity Competition - Topic: Spring Poems (Due 6/22)

Posted May 26, '11 at 7:43am

Quirinus1

Quirinus1

150 posts

Early morning dawn,
it drips of a soft peddle,
she softly kisses.

Posted May 26, '11 at 8:05am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Okay! Submitions are closed. For all of you who wrote haikus, I'm sorry for the mixup, but that round opens Saturday. You can resubmit them then. Otherwise, they won't be counted.

Posted May 26, '11 at 5:23pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Hey, Maverick, can you resubmit that on Saturday? That would be awesome. Thanks.

No problem m8.

An awesome haiku, wouldn't want to waste it.

Thanks m8. :D Check out my thread pl0x?

Right now is Spring Photos, if you have any :D

No camera. :(

Posted May 27, '11 at 10:40pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Okay... Here goes nothing... The first time I have ever judged! We'll see how this goes. I can be very picky about things yet miss some big detail. I'll try to use different judges every few comp rounds, though.

Okay. I'm surprised I can give all three places and an extra :D If I get a lot of different entries, like maybe 10, I might try to give the winner a merit. :P

Third Place: *Drumroll*... Goes to... 'Thawed' by Aknerd!

Okay. I am completely with you that spring is not all about flowers and stuff. It is about energy being renewed to the earth. This seems to capture it pretty well; the snow is gone, the rain has come! Okay... Here goes. Since I don't really know what Alaska looks like in winter, I can't compare that well with other spring photos. I realize that the fact that there is no ice on the lake is probably a big deal in Alaska :D Honestly, the snow-capped mountains make it look... Grand. Pretty grand. The people by the lake seem to help that feeling - if they weren't there, you wouldn't really feel how big that valley must be. I had one quip with this.  The angle of the camera is a little off, so it's tempting to tilt my head every time I see the image. Good job with that, though.

Second Place goes to... 'Flowers in the Sunset' by ABarOfSoap!

I'll start with what I like. The clarity seems to be set really low, which really makes the photo seem rather dreamy. Sometimes dreamy is good, this is a photo for it. Overall, the photo could be brighter, though I think the saturation is great. Now, the bright spot in the photo doesn't really help that much, especially since the photo is rather low contrast, which would be fine, but I hardly noticed the sunset except for a little bit in the bottom corner. One way you can master this is to focus on the sky, and then take the picture of the flowers, if at all possible. This should get rid of the washout. Otherwise, great job.

And finally... First Place goes to 'Simplistic Spring' by ProfessorOak!

First off, I want to say, I love the contrast in this photo. The flower somewhere near the center (could have been a little more centered) really brought the photo up front, in my opinion. The background also makes the photo, which you seemed to capture. the road/path and the flowers, along with the dark shading behind the center flower really helped. Also, the angle is pretty good, not your standard straight-on photosnap. I congratulate you. So. Congrats. You have won the first-ever Gen-Simple Comp!

First Place Award
Photography stamp
- Gen-Simple Comp

You may proudly copy that to your profile.

Now, as I promised, the recognition award!

The Butterfly Award goes to 'Pollination' by Bronze!

Well, I almost hate to critique this, but I might as well. The background is okay. The bucket in which the flowers are placed kind of distracts the otherwise pattern-like flowerbed. Also, the butterfly could've been more centered. Because there really isn't any place for contrast in this piece, a lower exposure would make it look a lot better, though the black background beneath the flowers helps a bit. The focus is good, though. It brings out the brilliance of the butterfly.

I think that does it. Congrats to all the submitants (is that a word?) for their wonderful pieces, hope to see you all again! As I've said before, the next two weeks - well, week and a half - will be on rain haikus! It is officially open, since all the judging is over with :D Let the writing begin!

Topic: Rain Haiku; Opens: Now; Ends: June 8th

Posted May 27, '11 at 10:44pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Haiku

The clouds open up,
And let loose their mournful tears.
Earth drinks their sorrow.

Posted May 28, '11 at 7:21am

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Oh, I forgot to mention the other awards...

"Alaskan Winter Award" goes to Aknerd.
"Dreamy Award" goes to ABarOfSoap.
"Contrast Award" goes to ProfessorOak.

And my... Maverick, that was quick.

Posted May 28, '11 at 8:49am

ProfessorOak

ProfessorOak

778 posts

Oh awesome, I won. Thanks a bunch jeol! I'll definitely copy that to my profile! C:
I've never really made a haiku, but I will surely try. Also I'm in the car on a three hour drive with nothing better to do. C;
Haikuuuuu:
Jumping and splashing
Dancing in the wet puddles
Playing in the rain
__
Now remember, I've never done this before, i might enter another one if i think of one. C:

Posted May 28, '11 at 4:38pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

And my... Maverick, that was quick.

I had already written it, remember? You told be to resubmit it after the judging, so that it would be counted.

Or may be I'm just awesome like that. :P

Posted May 28, '11 at 9:16pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

I had already written it, remember? You told be to resubmit it after the judging, so that it would be counted.

Yeah, but it was like two seconds after! Okay, maybe four minutes. But still, that's pretty quick in AG forum time :P

Posted May 28, '11 at 10:08pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Yeah, but it was like two seconds after! Okay, maybe four minutes. But still, that's pretty quick in AG forum time :P

Mad skills.

Reply to 'General Simplicity Competition - General Simplicity Competition - Topic: Spring Poems (Due 6/22)

You must be logged in to post a reply!