ForumsArt, Music, and Writing'General Simplicity Competition - General Simplicity Competition - Topic: Spring Poems (Due 6/22)

42 7132
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Welcome to the General Simplicity Competition. You might be asking, "Why is it General?" or "Why is it simplicity?" or "How does this competition distinguish itself from other competitions on AG?" Well, first of all, it was named after a good friend of mine, General Simplicity. Just kidding. 'Simplicity' stands for the one simple rule for you to win:

-Follow the Practical Guidelines.

Sound easy enough? Good. 'General' means that because this lets you submit a wide range of pieces, the topics will remain more general. Good? Let's jump in.

The Practical Guidelines.

1. FOLLOW THE WEEKLY CHALLENGES. If you make an entry, it must be in the category, on the topic, and within the opening and closing dates.
2. THE ENTRY MUST BE STRICTLY PG-RATED, only stepping on PG-13 if in writing. No profanity, it must be non-morbid, etc.
3. PLAGARISM: >( VERY MUCH FROWNED UPON. I honestly can't remember what happens to the user who plagarized, but if there is no penalty (which I doubt) then the plagarist cannot win or even compete for the following two weeks, nor would they win the competition the week they plagarized. I expect everybody to keep an eye out for plagarists themselves.
4. PIECES MUST HAVE ORIGINAL TITLES. This makes the judge's life much easier.
5. PIECES CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED ONCE. You can rip it from your own art thread (not from someone elses), as long as it has not been entered for competition. Ever.
6. WINNERS CANNOT WIN THE NEXT WEEK. Sorry guys. I guess your piece was super excellent!
7. PIECES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THEIR DEADLINES. No exceptions. It must be on-topic, in the category, inbetween the opening and closing dates. I know I already said this, I just wanted to make it clear.
8. RECOGNITION AWARDS. I honestly feel really bad for those non-winners out there, so to calm them I offer recognition awards. You will know them once you get them. They will not be given to everybody, two or three people at the most.
9. FOLLOW THE CATEGORY GUIDELINES.Srry for all the connecting links :/ I just need room to put stuff and make sure you make what I want from you.
10. TOPICS ARE GIVEN A WEEK IN ADVANCE. Thus you can prepare and have it in the deadlines in time.
11. OPENS ON A SATURDAY AND CLOSES TWO WEDNESDAYS FROM IT. The judging will be revealed every two Fridays and the deadlines for the next competition will open the next day, on Saturday. If you haven't figured it out, then pay attention to this next week's contest.
12. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SUBMIT WITHIN THE DEADLINES, but have preppared a piece to submit, then give it to someone else to submit for you and tell me that you gave it to someone else to submit, also tell me (or the judge, whoever that might be) who is submitting it. Otherwise, I or whoever the judge will be will disregard the piece.

Category Guidelines

Photography. Simple enough. Take a picture on topic. Upload it to you computer. Post it. If the picture itself is on the board, it must be 640px wide at the most and/or linked.

Sketches. Doodles, sketches, drawings, paintings, whatever. Make it, scan it/take a picture of it (whatever you prefer), upload it to your computer, and post it (640 px wide again) and/or link it.

Poems. There will be four types of poems, or more, if you request. Poems must be under seven stanzas long for convenience. 'Poem/Regular' write a poem on the topic. 'Poem/Haiku' write a haiku - five syllables by seven by five. No multiple-stanza haikus, please.'Poem/Quatrain' I've heard of four lines per stanza, I've heard four stanzas, so I'm going to go with both. Four lines per the four stanzas. 'Poem/Villanelle'. I'm going to go with this definition I found online:

villanelle - a 19 line form using only two rhymes and repeating two of the lines according to a set pattern.

I believe that is all for now.

And with that said...

Topic: Spring (Flowers); Category: Photography; Opens: today (5/14/11); Closes: Next Wednesday (5/25/11)
  • 42 Replies
Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts

A grey cloud, mourning,
clashing drops come down again,
jungle drinks her tears.

jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Wow, I completely forgot about this :P Anyways, it will be ending tonight (or tomorrow by 7 AM or so). I'm still trying to think up a topic. Does a leaf sketch sound good?

jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Okay! The comp is closed. I would've enjoyed more entries... But I guess that means less work for me :P

Now. On to judging. Are there any thoughts on the next round? Specifically, the topic? I haven't thought of anything springish except for the leaf sketch, but I think that could wait 'till fall. Is there anything else? Suggestions?

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
996 posts

Maybe something that has to do with Summer. Lakes?
I dunno. Just a thought.
Excited for judging.

jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Sigh... Completely forgot about this. I'm not ready. I still have to figure out stuffs. Sigh. So. Might as well get started.

May I note beforehand that I've seen a lack of unique titles.

Third Place - Oak

Siiinging in the Rain Award

I love the visual. Sadly, you already won last time...

And I realized I don't know much to say about poetry, especially haiku. I only really have one problem with this one: try to use punctuation. It will lead the reader more and help him/her understand better. Overall, good haiku.

Second Place - Quirinus1

Weeping Cloud Award

Pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the last line, not being capitalized or having some sort of article before it. Other than that, it was nice.

First Place - Maverick4

Thirsty Award

Good haiku. I like the fact that you used more than one sentence throughout the poem. So. Yeah. Great job, and congrats!

First Place Award
Haiku Composing Stamp
- GenSimple Comp

Feel free to copy and paste that to your profile :P

after a bunch of brainstorming and taking in suggestions from users, it has been decided: spring poems! Simple, and a great way to go into summer.

Topic: Spring Poems; Opens: Now; Ends: June 22nd

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,929 posts

Drops from above

Liquid from above
The gentle pitter patter
Keep the earth alive

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,929 posts

Bollocks.
Awaken

step outside your door
Its a nice day for certain
But today feels like something more
As if nature has been reavealed behind a curtain

You dont have allergies, so you dont mind
That the flowers are opening for the daily grind
You squint into the radiating sun
Your meandering pace breaks out into a run
And as the warm air brightens the sunrise
Hibernating beasts open thier eyes
Eager to start the year anew,
Mother nature sure created a motly crew

The stream flows on to the cool river
The air is humid, but the water makes you shiver
Minnows meander about
Soon to be large trout
You fold your arms and walk with the flow
Making sure not to step on any flowers aspiring to grow

This kind of weather changes your demeanor
You want to be succesfll when the grass is greener
"maybe ill pickup that old telescope"
Or go trekking with just food and a rope

Before you know it you dont reconize your surrounding
That youve walked this far is astounding
Oh well, its still bright out
Giod thing it's a nice day
No need to pout
And you begin to walk the other way

Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts

Pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the last line, not being capitalized or having some sort of article before it. Other than that, it was nice.

I tried a personification here, but forgot to capitalize her name: Jungle.
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

I tried a personification here, but forgot to capitalize her name: Jungle.

Okay. Make sure you look it over once or twice before submitting :P

Well, one more week 'till the round is over. One poem so far.
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Hello, ev'ryone :b

I was totally going to post here and remind everyone that this is the last day the round is open, but I forgot... Anyways, I need at least 2 more poems (though 4 or 9 would be nice), so I'd appreciate to see a few more poems here :b So! Bring whatcha got by tomorrow morning at 7 (when I can get on again)!

TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,938 posts

Sprrrinnng pooooemmmmmsssss?

I may have forgotten how to write poetry. So don't blame me if it sucks.
I'm also too lazy to do a complicated rhyme scheme, so some sort of weird poem it is.

The blankets of white
Lay heavily on the boughs,
Masking the sleeping trees.

Light breaks.
Remnants of snow fade away.
Returning to the earth.

Take a deep breath.

The forest opens its eyes,
Reaching high in celebration.
The seeds of the dead proudly live on.

For just a moment
To the oaks of old,
It's spring.
For just a moment
They can gaze at the sun.

Pause to see the sky,
The blades of grass.
The puffs of dandelions
Dancing in the wind.

Find that to fly free
Isn't far at all.

Smile at the thought of Spring.

jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Hmm... Two poems, closing time. If I extended this a day, would anyone contribute? If not, I'll start judging. [and on that note, this round would be closed, concluding the Spring Comp!]

Showing 31-42 of 42