ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162649
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I don't think that would work as much in the sense only mods can make chat rooms - as they're not robots and are not online 24/7.

To the developers i guess: have yous ever heard of logserv? That was the bot on JC and it kicked people automatically for like one minute if they swore or whatever. Maybe it would be good to look into that for when mods/admins are not online?

Auran619
Auran619
7 posts
Nomad

But do you support my idea?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As I've stated previously, admins will probably control the chat rooms that are made. Moderators will continue to have ban controls for those who abuse the chat system. But since we haven't decided on a chat engine to actually use, we can't say with 100% certainty which features we'll have or not. We DO know that we don't intend for users to create their own chat rooms, or allow password-protected access.

GeminiDelta
GeminiDelta
437 posts
Nomad

I personally love the idea for live chat, however my comp has an annoying chat restriction on it. This came from the previous owner and I have no idea how to remove it. Cormyn, if you're going to implement live chat, please choose one like Kongregate's chat so it gets past this darn block! <3

Also, as a secondary idea, we could have a game like Kommunicate so people could chat in a large window, instead of having to load a game to chat.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

We DO know that we don't intend for users to create their own chat rooms, or allow password-protected access

I'm glad this isn't in the books, things could just get way too messy.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Also, as a secondary idea, we could have a game like Kommunicate so people could chat in a large window, instead of having to load a game to chat.

Actually, I don't think a game is required for a site chat, but there are games with chats (including Shell Shock Live).
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

I believe there should be chat button atached to the bottom-right-hand corner of the screen, represented by a small tab, taht can me minimized and maximized. Basically like Facebook, or G-chat. I also believe that there should be a private chat system with an "accept or decline chat invite" button, and also that you can leave at will. Also, a block, and tag, with a report system. Not a built-in filter, people should moderate themselves. if they dislike swearing or adult content, they should leave the chat room/private chat box. A totally user moral-system regulated system.
My two-bits worth.

darthgohan1
darthgohan1
4 posts
Nomad

will the chat slow down loading times? hope not!

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

will the chat slow down loading times? hope not!

That would depend on how the chat is built. Hopefully it won't be built in such a way that causes lag.
greenpeople2007
greenpeople2007
399 posts
Nomad

Kay bit off topic... maybe thread notification that way you can keep track of threads you run... You bore people if you have an rpg and you take 15 minutes to reply when they know youre at the site.

steu
steu
43 posts
Nomad

you can get what you want because i havent idea!

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Having a live chat would be great, I really hope you will make it on AGv3, I don't think moderating it would be that hard, so please put it in!

Warriorfrombeyond
Warriorfrombeyond
231 posts
Nomad

you might have player chat mods. they have the ability to kick some one out. you can become one if i guess your kind and stuff on AG and your on daily....idk...

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

you might have player chat mods. they have the ability to kick some one out. you can become one if i guess your kind and stuff on AG and your on daily....idk...

The idea of chat mods has been discussed and rejected. Besides, normal moderators could mod the chat, then more mods could be added if needed.
Warriorfrombeyond
Warriorfrombeyond
231 posts
Nomad

How's it gonna look? is it going to be like each comment is forum sized(AG2)or is it going to be narrow and skinny?

Showing 196-210 of 504