ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162626
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Besides, normal moderators could mod the chat, then more mods could be added if needed.

You really think that the moderators now will have enough time to moderate several chat rooms with a lot of people and all the other things they do? I think the administration knows that it'll end up disastrous if they keep it this way because it's unlikely that the five-seven active moderators now will have enough time for chat rooms, forums, game comments, anything else they do on AG, and real life stuff.

Take a look at the Kongregate forums and chat rooms, if the AG chat rooms are anything like that then they'll need to seperate moderators or even add more to do things on the site as a whole, but considering AG looks for 18+ people and ten+ other things for moderators, that isn't going to work out well.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Take a look at the Kongregate forums and chat rooms, if the AG chat rooms are anything like that then they'll need to seperate moderators or even add more to do things on the site as a whole, but considering AG looks for 18+ people and ten+ other things for moderators, that isn't going to work out well.

So basically, you're saying that either of the following needs to happen:

- No chat.
- Lower mod requirements, then add more moderators.

I would prefer the second option, since I'm sure plenty of people (including me) want live chat.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I'm not saying no chat, I personally want one, but since there are so few moderators and the requirements are so tight it's likely the chats will have issues.

11pikachu11
11pikachu11
167 posts
Nomad

omg live chat that would be amazing litrely awsome...

Naoto1994
Naoto1994
19 posts
Nomad

I believe that there should be a filtering and an auto-reporting system to ensure that other members of the chat room keep it quiet. Also, I think that the chat window would work well if it was on a side bar of the browser window. I hope that my ideas were of use.

Naoto1994
Naoto1994
19 posts
Nomad

Sorry, correction, *don't* keep it quiet.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

What do you mean by don't keep it quiet? Do you mean that if they don't talk in the chat room then they deserve to get kicked from it? That's a bad idea. That's like saying if people on Armor Games don't post in the forums then they deserve to get banned.

And putting it on the side or bottom like on Facebook isn't what it's going to be, I believe. From what Cormyn has posted through this thread it looks like it's going to be something like TinyChat or Xat; it'll be on a page and you can choose to go there and chat with people.

Destroyer7491
Destroyer7491
4 posts
Peasant

How are we going to chat? During the game, or on a webpage

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think it'll be on a page here on Armor Games, but it depends on what chat service they decide to use.

undelivering
undelivering
65 posts
Nomad

a good idea is armathemes. change the theme of the chatroom

freerunnerz
freerunnerz
12 posts
Peasant

I think that if you could only chat with your friends it would be good, but saying that I really do not want to see Armor Games turn into another mini Facebook.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

a good idea is armathemes. change the theme of the chatroom

If they could find a way to allow thousands of users to simultaneously change the theme of their individual chatrooms every second without lagging the living hell out of the site, your idea would definitely be considered.
undelivering
undelivering
65 posts
Nomad

Then suppose we could limit the amount of people that can make chatboxes to like 5000 or 10000

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't think we're going to be the ones creating the chat rooms. It'll most likely be the admins creating them then having whatever active mods they have now patrolling them, but that'll be hard considering how many users we have.

Baarroows
Baarroows
8 posts
Nomad

I don't know if this has been brought up but, maybe there can also be live chat in threads. For example I play in the DnD thread in the forum games and we respond back and forth but, gets annoying because we constantly ninja each other and stuff. so, maybe we can have a group chat system or a room chats that can b set to private with a password needed and as for our friend list we click the name and it gives us option you click chat and boom your chatting but, there also should be a system of knowing whether they are online or not.

Showing 211-225 of 504